Gas alert ! $$$

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas alert ! $$$

I was thinking maybe it would not be a bad time to go top off the gas tanks ( and add the Sta-Bil ) because of the problems in the Middle East flaring up. Who know what the prices could go up too this spring and summer....Hope not. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Least expensive over here is 3.19$ per gallon on this side.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe, I just thought i would plan ahead on filling them now because we don't know what the cost will be this spring anyhow and with the problems going on now in the Middle East could be even more. The G-3 only takes about two tanks ( 10 gal per fill up ) a season and the Skagit holds 28 gals and will have a 12 gal back up tank ( at least until i get use to what it go's thru ) for long runs on the sound. Gas at Fred Meyers is $303 per gal. Yes, i know some people don't like FM gas , but i have never had a problem. Chuck

Comment

Gas

watch out for storing the E10 ethonal gas. It has a short shelf life.

I am lucky that a local distributer has the clear unleaded gas. It has a much longer shelf life. ( OH! Do not mix Clear and E10 gas, causes stuff to happen in the tank and motor.

Howard Haynes

Comment

Hi Howard, You are going to have to come up sometime with your G-3.As far as the gas go's, i use Sta-Bil and it works fine. On the G-3 with it's 65hp 2 stroke i roll it out of the garage and start it up about 2-3 times in the winter.It was just about out of gas ,so i took it to the gas station before it started raining. Don't want to get it dirty ! I'am a little picky on that kind of stuff. The Skagit with the 115hp 4 Sroke is full of gas and it also has the Sta-Bil in it. Chuck
          Attached Files

Comment

I noticed they used the word Marine on it so they can sell if for more money.
            Funny how they do that..Bet its the same stuff, Or, the stuff they put in to make its So Called Marine is insignificant, just sounds good. :BigWink1:

Sorry, Can't help myself.
            Its like that stuff they advertise on TV that you use up here in the PNW to take the Green mold off your building, boats or whatever.
            You look at it and its Water and Bleach, but yet they label it something else and charge 19.95 for it. Some has to chuckle ever time those are sold. VeryBigSmile
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Joe , I know what you mean. I go to O'Reilly 's ( EX Schuck's Auto Store ) to buy it for a lot cheaper. Samething, like the other day i had the oil change and was told i needed a new air filter at $19.95. Said i would think about it .Yesterday i took Sheila to lunch and stopped at O'Reilly 's on the way home and got it for $9.95. Does not hurt to let the wife see how you are always trying to save a buck..Right ? Best,Chuck

Comment

Chuck, I use Sta Bil in everything that uses gas and I believe the red stuff I get at Shucks is the same thing as the green marine stuff. It's a lot cheeper. I usually fill my boat up at the end of the season and add the Sta Bil, fogg the engine and it starts right up at the start of the next season.
                Greg James

Comment

Greg, There is a difference in the kinds they make. The one i have has the Ethanol Treatment. I read the labels on both of the bottles at O'Reilly and felt the big difference was the Ethanol Treatment ( and better protection ) yes i did pay more , but not as much as West Marine that's for sure and they said on the label " New concentrated Marine formula contains DOUBLE the corrosion preventer and more than FOUR times the fuel system cleaner than in regular STA-BIL to fight many of the damaging effect of ETHANOL in the gas tanks ,fuel lines, carbs,intake valves injectors". Being i now have a 4 $troke ( as well as the 2 stroke ) i don't want to take any chances without the Ethanol Treatment.Why don't i winterizes the G-3 ? , just in case i decide to go out and don't want to go thru the process to winterizes it again and after all it's in the Garage as for cold temps goes. Chuck

Comment

Short shelf life?

Was wondering how short the shelf life was these days. I remember when it would evaporate before it would loose its burn. I filled a mower with old gas and had to change it out because it wouldnt fire. john

Comment

Hey John, They say that pump gas starts to degrade immediately. STA-BIL saids by adding their product it keeps the gas fresh for 12 months.Double the amount it will protect for up to 24 months. Chuck

Comment

Gas - Love and Disdain

A few words about Gasoline --
                        Having turned wrenches on marine engines for a bunch of years now, I most definitely have noticed the lack of longevity and integrity of the fuel we all use these days. It sometimes seems like a carb cleaning should just be part of the summerization process. With that said; carbs are way more sensitive than a fuel injected system. At the marina where I work, we run every motor/engine on a blend of fuel conditioner and fogging fluid when we winterize so that the fuel systems (carbs and EFI) are stabilized just as the fuel tank is. And yes this does make for a smoky start up in the spring. As far as the infamous question of "to fill or not to fill", before storing................
                        " not to fill " wins in our book. Certainly with consideration to locale
                        (weather/storage), for the most part we feel that the amount of potential condensation does not out weigh having 20 50 100 or more gallons of bad fuel to start your next season with. As for the issue of mixing E-10 with blended gas, I do not know. I will be looking that one up soon, as we will be selling ethanol free fuel starting this spring. Hmmmm? P.S. Don't forget a new filter.
                        And as a sign of a good omen, I got to launch a boat today.
                        Good Boating -- Matt J.

Comment

I Forgot something

After we run the Carberated motors on our blend, we still drain the carb bowls as well. And, stabilized gas is more or less good for three months and then the noticeable loss happens ( hear in Hope Idaho - Cold and low humidity).

Comment

Gas Prices-Shelf Life-Bakken Oil Field

Gas has a shelf life of about six weeks without stabilizer. Ever time there is an event in the middle east, the price of crude goes up. Back in 1996, the Bakken oil field in North Dakota was discovered, but was grossly underestimated due to the available technology then.

Recent developments in horizontal drilling have revealed just how large this oil field is. Considered to be larger than all the oil reserves in the middle east combined, there is enough estimated oil to power the US economy at current consumption levels for over 2000 years!

Development of the Bakken oil field has been delayed due to the recession with banks unwilling to lend. Landowners in the area are becoming over-night millionaires, selling their mineral rights. Probably takes a couple years from the time the mineral leases are complete to the first oil to leave the ground.

Hopefully once this hugh reserve begins producing, gas prices will come down. Maybe not!?
                            Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Chuck, The red Sta Bil I use has Ethanol protection and they have more corrosion protection then they used to have. They have improved there formula. I don't feel anything more is neccessary. I put it in evereytime I gas up. It works for me so I don't think the extra expense of using the marine Sta Bil is neccessary.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X