X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairliner -- Fiberglass Over Wood

Fairliner -- Fiberglass-Over-Wood

Hi Everyone,

In my quest for a classic boat, I came across a 34 foot Fairliner Express Cruiser built in 1969. I had my sights set on a wood hull, but this one is fiberglass over wood. Here is the ad for it:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/2200614671.html

Fairliner has always held a special place in my heart. Among the ranks of Hunter, Stephens, and Matthews, I have really appreciated the design elements found throughout Fairliners. Some time ago, I looked at a wood hull 27 foot Fairliner express cruiser and was completely taken by the design.

Does anyone have insight regarding Fairliner's reputation with fiberglass over wood? And if anyone can offer insight on fiberglass over wood in general, it would be much appreciated.

From what I have learned thus far, fiberglass over wood hulls have had issues with water getting between the fiberglass and wood, rotting the wood, and compromising its structural integrity. I also am aware they are much heavier than fiberglass only hulls. I'm not sure how their weight compares with wood only hulls.

I do plan on having the boat surveyed.

I plan to run the boat mostly at displacement speeds, so I'm not as concerned about getting up on plane and the fuel consumption associated with it. It comes with a pair of 318's, which I would eventually re-power with diesels.

But if anyone can offer candid insight and perhaps point out something I'm not seeing or something I should see, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed
    Ed & Lindsey
    Sacramento, CA
    1977 Bayliner Victoria "Astral Blue"
    Walnut Grove Marina

Fairliner

I own a classic 1966 34' Fairliner. My boat is only glassed over the plywood to the chine. But like any large classic wood boat it must be taken out (Hauled) of the water each year for a close inspection and any defects repaired at once.
    Remember wood boats need more maintenance and care than glass, but if God had intended for us to make fiberglass boats He would have made fiberglass trees.

Ken
    1966 Fairliner
    Antioch Ca.

Comment

As a matter of fact, there are fiberglass trees on mt St Helens.
      1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

Fiberglass trees

And at Disneyland

Comment

And at Woodland Park Zoo ...

Comment

Go for it

All though I choose fiberglass because I dont like maintainance, the wood boat has its charm you loose with fiberglass. you can see alot of guys putting beautiful wood work in thir boats to get some of that charm.
            The fiberglass over wood hull is the least desired in my opinion and is harder to resell. That said, You have always loved this boat. If you decide latter you made a mistake, at least you can scratch it from your bucket list and get on to the next boat with first hand knowledge.

Comment

Working...
            X