Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally solved my Homelite problem!! YeeHaw!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally solved my Homelite problem!! YeeHaw!!

I finally realized what I was doing wrong!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7weBHWTSA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - shakedown[/ame]

Welcome back to the dark side! Sounds real good. Nice to go fast again....Huh ? Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 16660
      Welcome back to the dark side! Sounds real good. Nice to go fast again....Huh ? Chuck
      It's nice to go, period.

Comment

HUH ???
        WHAT WAS THAT ???
        I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MY MERC IS RUNNING :BigHappy1:

Yeah I know, at least its running.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yes Joe, I have to admit ...

... the Homelite was a lot quieter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8JTdk6xsg"]YouTube - Sno River 2011.3gp[/ame]

Comment

OMG, you've finally sniffed too much 2 stroke smoke!:shocked4:

Can't say I blame you for the swap, so what's the plan for the Homelite?
            Dick Johnson
            1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster, post: 16668
              OMG, you've finally sniffed too much 2 stroke smoke!:shocked4:

Can't say I blame you for the swap, so what's the plan for the Homelite?
              Hi Dick,

Actually, the full synthetic oil dramatically reduces the smoke!

The plan for the Homelite is to drop the lower end and see if it was the engine or the lower end that seized. Once I know that I'll decide on the best approach to marketing both it and the sweet '61 that was going to go on McSon's Bell Boy.

If the engine is seized, then maybe I'll part it out on ebay. If it's the lower end, then maybe I'll fix that and sell it as a runner. The '61 will get a physical, a tune-up, impeller, carb rebuild, lower end lube, etc., and go up for sale also.

The Homelites are cool motors, and I have mixed feelings about going back to a 2-stroke, but the bottom line is that anytime you constantly run something at the outer edge of it's capabilities you're going to have problems with it, and I'm tired of working on this thing. If I was putting around on a pontoon, or trolling a boat like yours, this is an awesome motor. But what I ask this thing to do the majority of the time is closer to abuse than use for a Homelite.

My plan, once I know why the '68 seized, was to offer them to folks here first, possibly for interesting trades. I need a good trailer (or renovation of the one I have) for the '60 19' Bell Boy Sedan, upholstery work, maybe a good outdrive that will bolt up to my 305 Mercuiser, paint work on the Bell Boy, etc., etc., etc. ...

Tim

Comment

Tim,
                I didn't know it seized, I figured you were tired of the distributor key shearing. Let me know what you find with the teardown. You're right, all my runners have spent most of their time trolling and never in the river, just an occasional blast WOT for a couple miles back to the dock. Only the 85hp has seen river time. What oil were you using in the Homelite? Just curious if you had a high zinc content oil. As far as synthetic two stroke oil it also dramatically reduces plug fouling. We learned that back in the '70's while running a '73 Honda Elsinore 250 on Amsoil at 100:1. With regular dino two stroke oil at 50:1 when descending hills it would foul a plug everytime. With the Amsoil it never fouled a plug and ran perfect with no mechanical issues up to the day it was sold.
                Dick Johnson
                1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Dick,

I always ran Pennzoil 30 weight in it.

After I tear it down I'll post in the Homelite forum and let you know what I find.

Tim

Comment

:cool1:Welcome Tim. When they run, they run great. If you keep after them, they usually keep running. Most (if not all) the trouble I have with the mercs, I bring upon myself. :shocked4:Preventative maintenance is just a bunch of additional work I ignore, untill getting towed back. The old addage if it ain't broke don't fix it usually bites me in the *&%#. Since all my old junk is on the verge of breaking down in the first place! Rock on!! See ya out there!
                    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Homelite 55

Tim,

I'd be interested in the Homelite(s). I've got cash to trade.:cool1: I am getting tired of sniffing the oil fumes and watching the oil slick behind the boat. Let me know what you find.

Comment

You'll be the first to know!

I removed your email address to prevent spam bots from acquiring it.

Sent you an email.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X