How old should a boat be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old should a boat be?

How old does a boat need to be for club events?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Old enough to float !

I don't care as long as it floats and the driver is safe and the motor runs most of the time ! :boater1:
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Classic

Wikipedia says "Perfect example of a particular style". I say " The boat owner is the only one who can make that call. ". How much do you love that boat. John
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sportster, post: 16844
        How old does a boat need to be for club events?
        Thanks,
        Mike
        Mike,

We have studiously avoided that particular definition. Some feel that there should be a cut-off age, others (who seem so far to be in the majority) feel that establishing a cut-off date is the first step down a slippery slope to the sort of atmosphere that many of our members find unattractive. Lots of folks feel that "your boat isn't old enough" lives right next door to "your boat isn't cool enough", "your boat isn't restored enough", "your boat isn't expensive enough", "your boat isn't wooden enough" and all the other "your boat isn't fill-in-the-blank enough" categories.

Our focus is on having fun with friends in boats, not on choosing our friends by their boats. If you look back through the photos from our past events, you'll see a pretty wide variety of boats of varying ages. Of course, our focus is on classic boats, so the general preference is that when club events are "in the public eye" such as the Opening Day parade that the boats participating have something of a classic appearance.

What is a "classic appearance"? So far we've left that to our members to decide for themselves and it's worked out fine. Some folks feel that a boat made in the late 70's that retains styling cues from the 50's and 60's fits that description. Others (obviusly not the members of our club) feel that very few, if any, of the mass-produced fiberglass boats fit that description. Some vintage Chris-Craft owners would scoff at the idea that any boat ever produced by Skagit, Bell Boy or other fiberglass manufacturers would be considered a classic. Others, like members of our club who are Chris owners, appreciate all vintage boats.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, the bottom line is you're welcome at any event that you feel is suited for you and your boat.

Tim

Comment

OK, so...

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 16845
          I don't care as long as it floats and the driver is safe and the motor runs most of the time ! :boater1:
          What's the cut-off for "most of the time"? Is it "most of the events I made it home without a tow"? or "it ran most of the time I had it out"?

Comment

I am a firm believer that any boat from any year can actually be considered a "classic". for instance my brother owns a very cool 19 ft Seabold Eagle 1. This boat was built in 1991 by the Seabold racing family, they took their race hull and mounted a pleasure deck on it. It fast, sexy lines and VERY limited production (only 5 that we know of).

To me it's not the age of the boat that makes it a classic but rather the uniqueness. "Mass produced" Skagits and Bellboys fit into my classic category because even though they made a lot of them, not very many of them are still floating these days and they have some of the best styling lines on the water.

Bottom line for me is, like most others in this club, if you think your boat is a classic and you know how to safely operate it, well then your welcome at any of my events. I don't even make the "engine runs most of the time" requirement, I myself have had more club events where I was on a tow line than not...
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Wood boats welcome?

Would the "classic" definition include something like a 1959 Sande Ace made of wood?

Kindest Regards,

Bob

Comment

woodies are fine

I have had both a 1960 Thompson and a 1956 Axtell racing runabout at Mason Lake events. So woodies are most welcome.

I guess I would be moderately appalled if someone showed up with a concrete boat but materials don't matter much. My brother built an elegant rowing shell out of cardboard that was waterproofed so with enough creativity almost anything can be interesting.
                Bruce H. Drake
                1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Whatever floats your man, it's cool with us. VeryBigSmile
                  Greg James

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by rjparksjr, post: 16852
                    Would the "classic" definition include something like a 1959 Sande Ace made of wood?

Kindest Regards,

Bob
                    I would say that is firmly in the classic category.

Tim

p.s. Welcome aboard!

Comment

Whhaaa??

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 16855
                      Whatever floats your man, it's cool with us. VeryBigSmile
                      Say whaa??

Comment

I've Got A 1973 That Is Absolutely A Classic!

My 1973 Power Cat 16T (multihull) is absolutely a Classic. I have no problem showing up with it at any classic event. I have always been accepted.

You will be too in your Glastron Sportster. Just get-r-run'n and show up.

Ever seen a new Stancraft? http://www.stancraftboats.com

Every new Stancraft is destined to be a classic before it ever hits the water.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That is a good question.
                          If its different, if its old, if it rare, who can make the call.
                          Some are "More Classic than Others" is the way I look at it.

If its 20 years old with an automobile, isn't that deemed a classic? Maybe more years, not real sure but still.

Some are "More" classic than others.

(Shhhhh, its more the people getting together Boating than it is anything else)
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen
                          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I looked at the link Bob provided. That Sande Ace design looks very clean and pretty to me. And a nice local connection. If anything,my inherent bias is that a wooden boat,like Bob's, would as a rule seem more "Classic" than fiberglass ones, regardless of age. Powertrip's mention of new Stancraft's I would take as a case in point. This example was built in 2008 (And with 700 hp) :

[IMG][/IMG]

That said, I love looking over glass boats, the smaller ones anyway. (Giant glass yachts don't do much for me, but that might be a case of sour grapes!)

I hope that you all will pardon my cluelessness. I am a new member, new to boating, and would like to be sensitive to the general understanding of what sort of craft is appropriate for this club. From what I read here, "Float and let float" seems to be the informal motto.

My Glastron Sportster is pretty common, and built in 1968. It is far from a perfect example of the type. A "well worn" vessel might be perceived as too shabby to reflect the interests of the club, and some members may be too polite to suggest this, while others would disagree in the interests of inclusion. There is no simple "One size fits all" answer It seems, and I wouldn't like to open a second can of worms.

I appreciate Helmar's comment, implying that the boats are an excuse to get on the water and have some fun.
                            opcorn1:

Comment

I see what you mean, Powertrip. Looks fast and fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X