No announcement yet.

Classic boating fun - here we come! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic boating fun - here we come! :)

(reposted from the classifieds area)

Doug's Skagit has made a family dream come true for us! I've been trying to get a 'project' Farallon ready to use for a few years now and it wasn't happening. And with another baby on the way, I realized my reaction time with projects etc. will be compromised again for some time. And our 8 & 4 year old boys are growing up so fast! Time is blowing by us and I really want a family boat that will be something our children will “fully” enjoy too someday as well (we plan to keep this Skagit in the family hopefully for generations to come!). We will be hanging onto this puppy even if we have to sell all our other boats (mostly projects)!

Our present ‘user boat’ is a moulded plywood 1957 Borum Adventurer 16‘ft. runabout. A fun boat, but our kids are so nervous riding in such small runabout boat (it rocks too much). So, like they say in the movies ..."we're gonna need a bigger boat!" A large 20‘ft. cabin cruiser is the perfect fit with our family! And like Doug, Chuck and many others, I have come full circle knowing what I need for the future after owning too many boats that never quite fit the ticket or I simply lost interest in for various reasons.

This hobby all started for me back when I was about 2-years old (in 1966). Dad had a cottage on the lake and boating was so fascinating for me! But just a few years later, my father past-away at age 35 (a week before my 5th birthday). Mom sold the cottage and that was the end of boating for me until I got out of high school. I did get to go boating a couple times in my later childhood years - but those short episodes of fun were simply teasing me to get back into boating when I turned 30 in 1994.

The Skagits (apparently all on the west coast) have always caught my eye but always seemed out of reach due to such long distance travel costs etc. However, over time, I’ve caught wind of a few shippers that need dead-head shipments back home and that has made such boat buy a reality for us when Doug’s Skagit became available. That ultra cool hardtop really makes your eyes roll back into yer head!

We’ll be using the Skagit on much tamer waters in our large reservoirs here in the mid-west (Dale Hollow etc.). The Great lakes are of course near us too - but most likely I will steer clear of any ‘Perfect Storm’ designs that could pose issues.

For family fun, I plan to equip this boat with a vintage motor such as the Borum’s 1962 mint 75 hp Evinrude! For boat shows (if/when we have time outside of boating) the Skagit may be adorned with a mint ’58 Evinrude Starflite outboard and a mint NOS 3 hp ’58 Evinrude kicker - just for kicks! LOL!

I do plan to post pics whenever we get a chance. Glad to be a part of the Skagit club that Doug & others have helped make a reality for us!

Yours in classic boating fun, Brad Best & family
    Attached Files

- added another pic: 1958 50 hp Evinrude Starflite

Enjoy the Evinrude Fat-fifty pic added above! This one's about as mint as they come! Still sitting on our '59 Sandusky 16' Blue Water cruiser. A great outboard to adorn the '58 Skagit at future boat shows. Also I have some NOS boat hardware from the late 1950's that will add some extra bling too!

Don't worry Doug, she'll be in good hands!

Comment

I am glad this worked out for you and you have something as sweet as the Skagits.
      Pretty hard to beat as they are built like tanks.
      The old joke was, it took Two Bayliners to create one Skagit

Nice looking motor too :cool1:
      Attached Files
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Home-sweet-home!

Doug's former Skagit 20 Express arrived just over an hour ago! Yippee-skippee!

She's adorable! CUTE AS A BUTTON! WOW! I'm looking forward to giving her a nice polish per Doug's recommendations on product etc.

I'll keep you guys informed of things in the coming months! Can't wait to get her on the water!

- Brad
        Attached Files

Comment

Brad, It's nice to see her at her new home ! That 's a long trip ! You will for sure enjoy it for many years. My wife liked the Farallon, but favors Skagits a little more as that what we started out with when it came to classics from the fifty's. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Dodged a few bullets...

Hey Chuck! Thanks! It was a long trip waiting on the shipment with my nerves stressed to their limit. The trucker's transmission went out in Montana and there was a 4-day wait with shipping while the truck's tranny was fixed. Boat was stored in a secured area on the flatbed trailer during the wait while I was biting my fingernails this past week. At least we missed all the bad weather last week with all the storms and tornados etc. (dodged a few bullets there at least).

Now to get her rigged with motor and ready to go!

Comment

Brad, You will have a great time with her ! ! The person that dead headed my Farallon back to Ct, i don't think he ever slept as it only took him 3 days ! Chris and I talked for 3 weeks on the phone and e-mail 74 pictures about the boat, but even then i was still hopeing everything was the way i present it to him. Turn out fine. Brad, Do you have a Skagit boat club hat? If not i will see if i can get you one.I think they are about $35.00. Please call my work number in my home and leave a message anytime 24-7 . 1-800 - six three seven-919 zero. Do you have some more pictures ? Chuck

Comment

Chuck, is that the Skagit cap with the real gold on it? I was thinking it was closer to $20 than $35. Bought mine last fall.
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry, I could not remember so i thought it's better to be a little high on the quote than come back and tell Brad it's more. I will have to check with Bruce first.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hat...

Sounds cool! That will make the package complete along with the Skagit burgee Doug included! I'll have to put that hat on my want list! Got a pic of it?

- Thx, Brad

Comment

Brad, Here you go ! Chuck
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hat...

Cool! Looks like I may need a Dorset one too! I'm still a Farallon guy too!

Ha! :boater1:

I'll be in touch!

P.s. - I need to get set up so I can PM other forum members. Right now my registration does not allow me to PM others. How do I get this fixed? I've already updated my info with my addy etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedboater, post: 17481
                          Cool! Looks like I may need a Dorset one too! I'm still a Farallon guy too!

Ha! :boater1:

I'll be in touch!

P.s. - I need to get set up so I can PM other forum members. Right now my registration does not allow me to PM others. How do I get this fixed? I've already updated my info with my addy etc.
                          Brad,

Private messaging, like access to email addresses and other benefits, is one of the benefits of paid NWCBC membership.

Tim

Comment

Gotcha!

Comment

Hat order...

Chuck - how do I order the hats?

Comment

Working...
                              X