'64 Sabre Craft Sunliner: update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Sabre Craft Sunliner: update!

Well, ladies and gents. I'm officially a new-old boat owner. Picker her up this weekend. She performed excellently during the sea trial. Starts right up, shifts smoothly, all (repeat all) gauges and electrical work. I took her up to 4500 RPMs and she cruises right along at about 30-32 mph.

The owner also had lots of the original equipment including a table, skirt for under the dash, swim ladder and even the bow ornament (like a hood ornament I guess). PLUS I talked him down to $1,500 for boat + trailer based on feedback from the board!

I'm super excited to put some elbow grease to her to get her ready for the season. Will share some more pics after I do.

One question: the one piece of equipment it's missing is the original steering wheel. Do any of the other Sabre Craft owners (or anyone else) have a spare or know where I could find one?

Thanks,
    Mike

Congratulations!

Sounds like things worked out well, especially the lowered price, which seems much more in line than the asking price did. I'm glad our "raining on your parade" didn't dampen your spirits!

As for the steering wheel, the newer wheel may be the result of the entire steering system being replaced with a newer one than the original, in which case a vintage wheel may not be a direct bolt-on installation. If you can post some photos of the steering gear behind the wheel and the connection to the outdrive it will be easier for folks to advise you on which route to take to a more vintage wheel. Typically the original wheel / steering system came from a manufacturer other than the hull builder, like Mercury (Quicksilver / Ride-Guide steering) Attwood, Volrath, etc. My wheel has a Sabrecraft sticker applied directly over the original Quicksilver sticker. There are a lot of Ride Guide systems still out there but the cables can be a little hard to locate.

Since you'll soon have her shined up and ready to show off, I suggest you join the club and make the trip to Portland with us in 2 weeks!

Tim

Comment

Congrats on the purchase!!

Tim make good points on the steering wheel, only thing I will add (from current experience and frustration) some the older steering hubs used a splined shaft and some use the 3/4" tapered shaft with a key, this can be the ultimate pitfall as if the system has been replaced then your original wheel (if you can find one) may not even fit on the column you have.. This was the case with my Performer Havoc, original wheel used splines newer steering rack installed uses key...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Contact Dan @ Lyles Boats & Motors in Cashmere, he just got in a Sabre Craft Sunliner like yours I believe WITHOUT hardtop BUT lots of goodies like trim, badges, glass & frames, etc. Would make a nice backup parts boat (your do need more than one you just don't know it yet). He is taking offers on it and I mean it will be cheap probably 2 bills would get it but don't know 4 sure. Cheap Cheap Cheap! May have the wheel you need! Could be persuaded to take pic's and send if interested.
        Yes, $1500 is more like it.......................................

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that changing out the steering wheel could be so involved. I'll take some pics and see what's already there. I really do want to take it back to original but it sounds like it could be a long-term project.

Straycat -- will definitely give Dan a call. Thx for heads up.

Comment

I just looked into Lyle's...I'm going to be keeping the boat on Lake Wenatchee so he'll probably be my new marine mechanic. Great to find someone so close!

Comment

Working...
            X