Real Sad !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Sad !

If any of you remember the Steel Electric ferries that ran on the PT run and the Illahee in the San Juan this was the end of the line for them. They have been cut up in Ensenada Mexico ( just south of San Diego ) except for the Nisqually that has vanished ( see picture that shows it intact ) so it's anybody guess if it got away from the cutting torch, The rest of the pictures shows the scrapping of the Illahee. The Klickitat ( picture of it at Keystone harbor ) went first. Nothing is left of the Quinualt, except possibly her wheelhouses as seen in these photos. I guess they have never heard of the EPA that why they did the dirty work south of the border ! Plus once they went to Mexico they could not be brought back to the USA to be use for any type of ferry services.I would be interested to know if the Nisqually was sold to a third world country.
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Too Bad !

Too bad you didn't get that mast off the top of her for your Offshore ! You could fly ALL your burgees from that beauty ! :Skipper1:CutUp1
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Jobs gone too!

StirPotHow bout all the countries that can get away with the pollution,etclack of safety regsetc..,etc.,etc..,

While here in good ol U.S.of A.::Cop1:, it's a big:nono1: makes me

Comment

Hey Rick, I wonder how a Farallon nav mast would look like on the Offshore. The roof line are about the same styles. Hummmm Chuck

Comment

Good Luck

If you can find one , it would be sweet :GoodJob: I saw a post on Golden glassics that had a sunken San Juan on the river that some of the guys were going to salvage the boat and it still had the mast on it. Would have been worth the trouble just for that.
          Attached Files
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Rick, Yea, i remember seeing that on the GSG board. Am i correct that they had that style on the San Juan like yours as well ? 58-59 I think that would look cool being the boat is not all original. Chuck

Comment

More washington state ferries

Hey Chuck,

I rode on most of those ferries, when I was a kid, on the Vashon run.

Here is a great web site for the old fleet:

http://www.evergreenfleet.com/retired.html

I rode the "Vashon" that was mostly wood, and shook like a paint shaker.
              I remember when the boat would change direction, a crew member would walk out and drop a big steel pin in a hole, to lock the rudder.

Here is a photo of her, sunk in Alaska........Steve
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Steve, Yea i follow the Evergreen site each month. I'am a ferry nut as i got hooked when we lived at Rockaway beach on Bainbridge Island. Have eighty+ pictures in my office. Chuck

Comment

What an inglorious end.
                  John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                  Past Affairs:
                  '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                  X