Crabbing Rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 18300
    I've been inspected, boarded, spot checked, etc countless times. Never had a problem. I'd rather spend some time making sure I'm doing it right than lose gear or my boat...
    It is a good idea to follow the rules, even if you don't see any enforcement. Last Sunday at Larrabee there wasn't an enforcement officer in sight... until I put my pot back in the water. Then there was a Whatcom Co. Sheriff boat coming at me at a good clip. I think they were hiding behind Eliza. They measured my two crab, checked my license and catch card, gave me a nice whistle with their logo on it and headed back in the direction from which they came.

Comment

What started this off was not the Following the Rules as it was how to interpret or understand the rules.

Sounds like a can of worms to me and up to the fish and game person on what kind of day they are having. Special rope, does this sink or Not sink to there discretion, that kind of thing.

From what I am reading, I will still purchase mine from the Indian that comes back to the dock with buckets full. No fines that I know of, Or, Is there opcorn1:
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

It's good to know the state still has enough money to protect the crabs.

Too bad they can't find enough to protect the taxpayers.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Hey thanks for the tips on finding the elusive legal size male crabs! And yes, following the rules is good because, at least in theory, the rules protect the resource...
          :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
          (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
          1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

The "2011-2012 Sport Fishing Regulation Pamphlet" runs to over 150 pages.
            That's a really big pamphlet.

Comment

Dwindling Hobby

A buddy called yesterday and said Mid-Sound Fishing finally picked up.
              Guess the WDF is "Fishing " too, he`s now been boarded and scrutinized 5 out of 7 trips so far this summer.
              They measure Crabs,test legs for softshell, and had him bring his downrigger gear to the surface so they could test the barbs on their sweater.
              I have yet to have them do this and then even when the hook is bent flat,they`ll say" its ok but do"Try harder next time...." as they act like they are letting YOU off the hook.My buddy said each of the guys said this very line....
              Sorry to rant but my family once had a boathouse that sold Bait and Tackle while launching Boats and skiffs off of Whidbey Island.
              Seattle once had 26 boathouses and 3600 rental boats on Elliott Bay alone.
              Didn`t matter what you did for a living or owned,on weekends ,you all were on the same level as you fished for the elusive King Salmon.
              The city now owns the one small boat rail launch left,with the owners having sold the boats and motors until they have just one rental left.You can get great coffee ,rent a Kayak and buy air for your Dive tank.Just don`t ask for Herring ,which used to be in a pen alive.The kid who used to scoop it for me actually was driving in last year`s Seafair Hydro race,Kip Brown.

Our State badly needs a Fish+Wildlife Director who isn`t a lawyer for ~26 Bellingham based Commercial Fishing businesses like our current leader.
              When the last fishing license is sold and no revenues are in the kitty for enforcement ,I wonder what and where they`ll manage then?
              The tax money not being realized at local grocers,fuel stations(anybody deducting their Road/Gas Tax from filling their Boats at roadside pumps with gas tax?) and Sporting Good stores would be nice to have flowing again ,though too late for many boat builder`s ,and dealers.
              TimM
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
              X