'58 Bryant Rest near complete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Charlie,

Our recent Vet's Cruise occupied my time and limited brain power pretty fully, now that it's over I can root around in the shop and see what I have that will work for you.

Stay tuned ...

Tim

Comment

Progress!

Hey Charlie,

I've got everything you need except the factory bracket to link the cable to the motor's steering bracket. I thought I had one but alas, none.

I know how you can easily hook it up but need answers to a couple more questions:

1) I need to know the distance between the two large "outer" bosses on the front of the motor's steering bracket. More accurately, let me put it this way: If you were to clamp a piece of flat metal about two inches long (high) to the front of the steering bracket between the bosses, what width would it need to be to fit snugly between the bosses, so that when it was bolted through the hole in the steering bracket, it would not wiggle around? (The idea is that you would file down the boss that is next to the hole in the arm and bolt on a bracket that would be held in place by the two large bosses.)

2) Can you post two more detail shots of the motor's steering bracket, one from as close to dead on from the front as you can get and another from dead above it? I need to see if there is any arc to the front of the bracket or if it's pretty close to straight.

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim,

Here are a couple of shots you requested. The section of the steering bracket between the two outer bosses seems to be dead straight. As you will note from the overhead shot, there are two identical outer bosses on the backside of the steering bracket as well. For a good tight fit between the bosses I would call the distance 2 9/32".

You've been a great help.
        Charlie
        Attached Files

Comment

Almost there ...

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the measurements and photos, that's perfect. I'll have something put together for you real soon and we'll get the old girl out on the water!

Tim

Comment

Steering hook up kit

Charlie,

Here's your steering hook up kit, it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Start by filing or grinding off the boss or bosses on the front of the motor's steering bracket, adjacent to the hole, leaving the two vertical bosses you measured for me. (photo 2) Take these down flat to the front of the steering bracket so that the new cable end bracket will fit flush between the two vertical bosses. (photo 4) I sized the cable end bracket a little proud, you may need to file the sides to get it to fit snugly between the vertical bosses. You want a snug fit here, not "whack it in" tight which would put excessive outward stress on the bosses, but snug enough that it supports the bracket well. A restoration purist would turn their nose up at this, but the odds of you finding a factory hookup are pretty slim.

The cable end bracket (photo 3) needs to be drilled for a bolt that will connect it to the motor's steering bracket. I left this for you to do so that you can match the diameter of that hole to the diameter of the hole in the motor's steering bracket. You don't want to drill out the steering bracket hole any larger, it would be too easy for a bit to bind there and crack the bracket. You reeeally don't wanna do that. Place the hole so that the top of the cable end bracket lines up with the top edge of the steering bracket. Bolt on with a stainless bolt and locknut. Don't be afraid to try a metric sized bolt if that's what it takes to get a nice snug fit in the holes. Bolt that sucker on.

Now, start by centering the aluminum tube in the clamp block. Then thread the steering cable through the aluminum tube and tighten up the cable sheath collar nut. Now center the steering like you did before.

Connect the cable end to the cable end bracket with the bolt provided, with the cable end sandwiched between the center two nylon washers. (open space on bolt in photo 3) Tighten the lock nut just enough that it brings everything lightly together. Wipe a little grease on the bolt shaft where it contacts the cable end before putting it all together.

With the engine dead ahead and the cable connected, bring the mounting plate of the clamp block to the transom and see where it lands. With the downward offset we introduced with the new cable end bracket, and the upward offset of the clamp block, you may be able to angle the cable downwards a little and bolt the clamp block to the transom without using the extension plate. If you need the plate, the four bolts and locknuts you need are in the plate. You'll need 4 bolts of the right length to thru-bolt the extension plate to your transom.

Whether you use the extension plate or not, before drilling any holes in the transom, be sure to clamp the clamp block to the transom with c-clamps or something similar and carefully tilt the motor to make sure that everything moves without binding. The cable will swivel on the clamp block just fine, and the cable will have enough flex that the slight twisting that occurs shouldn't be a problem, but make sure the cable on the other side of the clamp block has enough room and slack to kick up if it needs to. If the cable sheath is flexible then no sweat, but sometimes the old cable sheaths can be pretty stiff. Then try steering from lock-to-lock and make sure everything is moving smoothly and and the angle of the cable isn't too severe for good steering action.

Once you're sure you've got the right position, drill the transom, bolt on the clamp block and head for the lake. And that was good advice Brian gave about bedding the bolts, too. Stainless bolts.

Tim
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tim,

Don't know how to thank you enough. Certainly not to worry about being a restoration purist on this end. The whole idea is to make her sound and useable. Get the grandkids and friends out on the water.

I'll send a few finished shots of the boat at some point.

I look forward to meeting you all one day.

Charlie

Comment

Charlie,

You're quite welcome. I've received so much help and advice from club members that it's nice to be able to help someone else out.

Be sure and post some photos of the maiden voyage!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                X