Fire Extinguisher Weird Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Extinguisher Weird Question...

So I was working on my old classic boat today, replacing rusting fastners with stainless, and I noticed that my 1967 boat, has a fire extinguisher that is stamped 1970. The needle is still in the green, and it is in beautiful all metal shape with an all metal bracket, but 1970? Any idea what the USCG would say about that? Anybody else ever encountered this?
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

I don't know what kind you have but most of the old ones were refillable. The small one if I remember right don't cost over $10 to get refilled.
    Better safe than sorry.
    Mike aka pathfinderz1
    Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Get it refilled or buy a new one. They're only around $20 for a CG approved BC extinguisher. I just replaced mine last week.
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

I've got a secondary inside the engine compartment, but it is the tiny PWC one that I could fit in the left over space. It'd be cool to have the original one there, but I'm also going to buy and mount a monster, just because if you ever have a fire, you want lots of foam. Lots and lots of foam...

Comment

Sean,

I'll weigh in with the "get a new one" crowd. If it's that old, the darn needle may just be stuck. It might also not conform to current standards.

I've never seen an extinguisher that cost more than a fire ... :Scared2:

Tim

Comment

I still have the 1968 extinguisher from our chris craft, during the USCG voluntary inspection at Alder Lake 2 years ago they said it still meets the requirements and would work fine if refilled but mine had settled into a solid blob that you can hear rattling around inside... I kept it and am working on brightening it up as a boat show piece but I bought a new one for actual use (I'm color blind and have a very spotty history of electrical work and fires, so I don't take any chances anymore)

Although after taking extinguisher training at work I will be investing in the more expensive type with the metal head that has a much stouter gauge and is refillable. The $20 ones with the plastic heads are one time use only and the gauges tend to get sticky and not read properly.
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Brian, That was really helpful information about the metal head ones. I'm going into Fisheries today to buy a good one then I'll take my museum piece in for service. It is pretty cool, but yeah I don't want to depend on it.

Comment

I have a 1961 extinguisher that is charged and have had inspected and tested by the fire inspector. It cost more than usual but it was worth it to add the classic touch. I do have a newer one also that would be my first choice if I needed one.

Comment

Yeah I installed a big 5 pounder today, with double brackets. As I was removing the antique the head swiveled just a little and it leaked a little pressure, and sure enough the needle moved. So it looks like with service it will be a nice display piece, to go with the antique boat, but I’m not going to rely on it. Anybody know where is a good place in Seattle area for fire extinguisher service?

Comment

Working...
                  X