Trouble passing gas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble passing gas!

Not me. I'm doing just great in that department but Rosario has a problem. I give her a squeeze but still no gas. As most of you know, my understanding of anything mechanical or, for that matter, pretty much everything is nil. Here's the problem. Rosario, which has two 12 gallon tanks, never has pumped up to a hard squeeze bulb but it always, with enough squeezing, gotten enough gas to start the motor and then all was well. Last time out, I thought I was never going to get fuel to the motor. Prolly squeezed for 5 minutes or maybe more, before I got fuel to get her going.
    So, I bought a new squeeze bulb and installed it (correctly with arrow headed toward motor). Squeeze, squeeze, squeeze but bulb never got hard. Checked by disconnecting hose from motor and pressing on the ball with a small nail. Nothing came out. Disconnected the connector on the engine side of the hose and squeeze and a torrent of gas gushed out. Put my thumb over the end of the hose and squeezed and squeezed. I could feel gas but no pressure on it.
    Tried the switch on each tank and still no pressure on line. I then tightened every hose clamp from motor to fuel switch, and, for good measure, those at tank ends and checked gas caps to see that they had good gaskets and the tops were threaded rightly and tightly.
    Nothing I can do will get me pressure. I got out a 3 gallon gas tank that I use with my small motor and it pumped right up with it's hose and put gas in the carb so I could start the motor.
    Okay, so I could carry the small tank to get some gas to the carb and switch over to the larger tanks but that isn't how it's supposed to work.
    Those of you who know Chuck C. know that he doesn't do things half way. The fuel lines are heavy duty and of the right type for gasoline. So, where do I go next? I called Norm Boddy and found he no longer works on outboards. Left him a message to call me but have no idea if he is around to get it or if I'll hear from him. HELP!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Could be a vacuum issue. Are your tanks vented or venting properly?

You might also check the pickup on your tanks. If they are clogged nothing is going to get through!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks John. Tanks are vented and pick up must be okay as the motor draws all the fuel it needs to run at WOT and idles fine once I get a little fuel pumped to the motor to start it.

Comment

Jerry,
        You need to have the primer upright for it to have the best shot of working.Seen new ones fail too.....
        If a fuel fitting is leaking ,it will allow air into the mix.A clear pc of tubing put into the system will allow you to see a trail of air bubbles from the culprit.
        We had a few motors at the dealer that would lose prime like every 15 minutes or so,with a fitting usually slowly adding a trail of air until it hit a level it didn`t like then fuel pressure would drop off to zero with engine dying.
        We used an inline pressure/Vacume gauge Teed into the fuel supply before and after the motor inlet to see what the psi held at or if rock steady.
        The Gauge will tell you what psi you have while the clear tubing will show you what`s going thru......
        Seems like Chuck had the fuel selector switch give him no fuel on one occasion.More like which way it was pointing instead of actually being bad.
        Wild card would be a check valve right on the tank ,but Both at once failing is unlikely.
        Larger diameter hoses and sytems with Fuel /Water seps need priming but isolating the two supplies may be whats needed.
        Pull one supply at Switch (or by-pass that too)and plug with a cap.If it then works better than a shut-off valve is needed.
        Then see if the small tank works thru the Fuel valve,you never know,might be that switch or the nut that holds the handle stem on.
        I hate working with gas.....sorry you have to.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Jerry, Please call me. Chuck 1-800-637-9190
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks Tim and Chuck. The good part is I'm not burning much fuel with the tanks refusing to send any to the motor. Of course, it isn't that big of a job to take my little 3 gal. tank that pumps up good to get a shot of gas into the carb and then switch over to one of the 12 gal. tanks to run the motor. Funny thing, Becky doesn't like the smell of gas and oil on me and my clothes. Ran everything I wore yesterday through two washes before they smelled good enough to dry!

Comment

Secret message

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 18305
              Jerry, Please call me. Chuck 1-800-637-9190
              What are you going to try extortion, $50.00 and I'll tell you what it is ??? :Police1:

And you don't want us to know !!
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Here's a funny. I decided to see if anyone on iBoats had a good thought on the fuel problem. Got a cranky moderator to published my thread and then said I didn't state the problem well. I didn't mention my mysterious outboard motor (I had written 1986 Evinrude 50) and I posted in the wrong forum but my writing was so confusing that he had no idea where to put it.
                I never even suggested "where the sun doesn't shine" but I did remind him that I said "1986 Evinrude 50" and I thought people would understand 1986 was the year of the motor, Evinrude was the make and 50 meant 50 hp." Guess what, I am now banned from posting in iBoats. Sure glad you guys put up with my cantankerousness!

Comment

Jerry, What are you going to do with a broken down boat now ? i will give you $250 for her. As per our phone conversion , get that fitting. Chuck

Rick, Nice pictures ! I have always felt Rosario was a good looking boat along with the Davis Craft.
                  1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                  1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I'd feel guilty taking $250 for that boat. Perhaps $75? I'll have to think about it.

Comment

I wouldn't assume anything and remove the tank pick ups to make sure there completly clear, especially if metal tanks, good starting point IMO. You guys have so many toys here, lol:catchfish1:
                      Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
                      3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
                      1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Okay you young whippersnapper. Remember many of us are a lot of years older than our classic boats. I can just manage to read and write on these sites and have no idea what IMO means. Do know where the tank pickups are and can remove and check them but question if the problem is there as the motor runs just fine once I first get a little gas in the carb to start it. I'm really thinking air is creeping in somewhere but I'm willing to try most anything (even work or taking my boat to town and having a mechanic charge me my whole SS check to get me back on the water).

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 18332
                          Okay you young whippersnapper. Remember many of us are a lot of years older than our classic boats. I can just manage to read and write on these sites and have no idea what IMO means. Do know where the tank pickups are and can remove and check them but question if the problem is there as the motor runs just fine once I first get a little gas in the carb to start it. I'm really thinking air is creeping in somewhere but I'm willing to try most anything (even work or taking my boat to town and having a mechanic charge me my whole SS check to get me back on the water).
                          I agree with you totally, IMO "In My Opinion",LOL As I was told when I was a young know it all, Check out all the simple and cheap points first. This was from a BMW rep a friend of the family and his help went along way to helping me with repairs on the not then old '66 Porsche I really like the idea of the clear tubing to see if theres bubbles, easy to do also. I didn't read that you have a new fuel pump? I really dont understand why your bulb doesn't get firm reguardless of possitioning? I would think if all the hoses are new and you took off the bulb pump from the hose to the tank and could blow easy into the tank, the motor fuel pump should be able to suck it up Im thinking but this is just a guess? If you haven't changed the fuel pump in years? All disclaimers apply,Ha! Hope you find the problem soon as I'm sure we all want to know. I have a old wagon that was real hard to start if left for a week or more, had to prime it through the carb as it got worse. Changed the gas pump and filter and no improvement so removed a sction of rubber fuel line that looked fine with no visible cracking. Put some water in the sink and pressureized it to see thousands of tinny bubbles from the entire length of the hose..B..
                          Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
                          3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
                          1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Thanks Bill. Today we have visitors from sunny CA but tomorrow I plan to get this whole thing worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 18332
                              OK you old geezer, remember many of us are a lot of years younger than our classic boats, and have no idea what SS means. Is that a stainless steel check? That makes no sense ...

Comment

Working...
                              X