Hot!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot!

Took some shots of temp readings taken in the morning sun ,around 10 am and around 70 degrees actual air temp.
    Really was suprising on some of them,especially the yellow and white at around 90` F or so.
    Black was smokin Hot however :donttouch:,could see heat trails rising in the direct sunlight on the Floor.
    This 50` range in temps may be why we see so many white Boats I`d say.
    Good thing this will only matter two days per year around here in Seattle.

TimM
    Attached Files
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Hot and hotter

Tried painting the Saratogan cockpit floor yesterday...finally gave up as it was way too hot.
    Got the second half of the survey on the boat coming up Tuesday..so trying hard to get a bunch of stuff done before then.
    Took the weekend off to paint the cockpit....wish I'd gone to South Sound!

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 18397
      Took some shots of temp readings taken in the morning sun ,around 10 am and around 70 degrees actual air temp.
      Really was suprising on some of them,especially the yellow and white at around 90` F or so.
      Black was smokin Hot however :donttouch:,could see heat trails rising in the direct sunlight on the Floor.
      This 50` range in temps may be why we see so many white Boats I`d say.
      Good thing this will only matter two days per year around here in Seattle.

TimM
      The only thing I dont like white is the dash area, Boy my g3 is so bright and the eyes take a beating, crawled under the bow and couldn't see a thing for maybe 5 minutes?
      Just noticed you have a Seafair with 70hp. What kind of speed you get with it. Wont have mine in the water till next year it looks like. Motor ran good off the ear muffs when i got it. (as i got it below)
      Attached Files
      Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
      3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
      1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Hey Bill,
        My 70 hp gets me into the mid 30`s on the salt,maybe 37 mph if I strip it to barebones.Usually 30-32 with full compliment of dual Electric Scotty`s,lead balls and the cooler and gear for 2-3 people.
        I do prop accordingly for each day`s use,a 19 p usually the highest.17 usually does me good for loads but towing I`ll drop to a 15p and watch my tach.
        Gas use is a little more than with a 50 hp ,I use a 9 Gal and 3 -6 gallon reserve for most days.
        Funny you posted the pics as I`m about to strip this motor for use on my Alum center console I`m to use with Vessel Assist at the coming Hydro races.
        Now my Seafair is also going to get some attention to the very places you have shown as I know I have a water leak at the cabin threshold and after sinking it ,I really should go thru it under the decks.
        I`ll raise the floors and do some foamed corner blobs with a real sump to be formed in front of the rear well assy.Box Stringers of some sort all the way fwd will be a given,right over where trailer bunks support it.
        A Splashwell barrier at the rear so the rear well plug won`t contain 80 gallons of lake water in front of my two motors when I forget it`s there will be the other focus.
        I`ll put some drains in the walk -around decks too,I hate tipping it to drain the inch or so of water it can hold.
        The Sun will return as soon as I tear into this of course ,you all can thank me later(Air temp fell 30` in the past 24 hours,along with a half inch of rain).....but thanks for you letting me see what I get to mess with before even getting into it.
        TM
        ps Also wished I had done the South Sound Event but sun makes some work easier......to a point that is.
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 18466
          Hey Bill,
          My 70 hp gets me into the mid 30`s on the salt,maybe 37 mph if I strip it to barebones.Usually 30-32 with full compliment of dual Electric Scotty`s,lead balls and the cooler and gear for 2-3 people.
          I do prop accordingly for each day`s use,a 19 p usually the highest.17 usually does me good for loads but towing I`ll drop to a 15p and watch my tach.
          Gas use is a little more than with a 50 hp ,I use a 9 Gal and 3 -6 gallon reserve for most days.
          Funny you posted the pics as I`m about to strip this motor for use on my Alum center console I`m to use with Vessel Assist at the coming Hydro races.
          Now my Seafair is also going to get some attention to the very places you have shown as I know I have a water leak at the cabin threshold and after sinking it ,I really should go thru it under the decks.
          I`ll raise the floors and do some foamed corner blobs with a real sump to be formed in front of the rear well assy.Box Stringers of some sort all the way fwd will be a given,right over where trailer bunks support it.
          A Splashwell barrier at the rear so the rear well plug won`t contain 80 gallons of lake water in front of my two motors when I forget it`s there will be the other focus.
          I`ll put some drains in the walk -around decks too,I hate tipping it to drain the inch or so of water it can hold.
          The Sun will return as soon as I tear into this of course ,you all can thank me later(Air temp fell 30` in the past 24 hours,along with a half inch of rain).....but thanks for you letting me see what I get to mess with before even getting into it.
          TM
          ps Also wished I had done the South Sound Event but sun makes some work easier......to a point that is.
          Thanks Tim, thats a pretty good speed with a 70hp, so my 85 should be good for off shore. Whats with the deck drain holes, thought they all had them? An after thought i guess, right. Guess by chance mine is a '63 and has the drains and headliner plus the best of all fiberglass sringers. I will be removing the cabin bulkhead and laying all new floor. The guy I bought it from used a 9" grinder to remove the floor from the attaching points but wasn't very careful at all, cut through some of the stringers a bit and almost through the hull in a few places. If he didn't remove the floor up to the bulkhead and maybe left two inches i could have spliced it but this guy didn't do anything very well on the boat. He even cut out the port side stoage panel, he said so he could through large items in. It was missing the gas tanks and the seller gave me two 6gal omc steel ones. Ron in SF sent me two of his old steel side (11gal ea.) tanks as he had new alum ones made, so i'm set on gas tanks. The transoms 25 inch as is the motor so no motor well as the seller wanted more room to fish, probably a ok choice and ill leave it that way but needs special bracing as the motor well is what makes the transom real strong if original. Not sure but my prop is a 13 or 15 and think your right about using a 17, 19 sounds a bit high for salt and swells, cant go that fast that often out there anyway, can ya? When finished I want to get a pretty large kicker, at least 20hp, something that can get me back if needed. Someone said get a 40 hp but that might be too much with a wide motor like that 85Rude? No I didn't miss this "and after sinking it" LOL B..
          Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
          3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
          1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

Working...
          X