Starcraft fiberglass jet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starcraft fiberglass jet

I just looked at a 62 jet boat with Pontiac 400 V8. Owner says the title says Starcraft but the decals and logos on the boat say Seaflite. About 18' runabout with removeable hardtop and V8 jet by Berkley. Anyone know anything about this boat. I'll try to get a picture. CL : http://salem.craigslist.org/boa/2451963860.html

Hull has planing Strakes

But it doesn't have any picture. I was trying to find some info on this boat. If it is a 62 finding a HIN will not be possible.

Motor runs and sounds good Hull seems solid but with some crap repairs in the hull.

Starcraft or Seaflite

OMG like I really need anotheer boat!!!!!

Howard Haynes
    1960 G3 Merc 700 FGS
    1973 Carver Monterrey 28'
    10' livingston
    Aquaterra 2 place Kayak
    15' canoe

(how to be prepared for almost any water sport!!)

Whats wrong, you tired of the g3 already, not enough excitment in your life. How fast does a 700 push the g3. My '60 has a MK78, same thing but dockbuster... Needs complete restore
    Attached Files
    Bill's Dry Dock, in Smoggy LA!
    3 CD, G3's. 2 '60's and a '59
    1 '63 Seafair; Life raft,Ha!

Comment

starcraft/seaflite

The G3 runs about 40mph. Much of the speed depends upon how the trim is that day. With both fuel tanks stuffed under the back deck, just me, 21" cupped prop it ran about 44 - 45 on the water speedo. the bow was very lite and it was just starting to chine walk. the boat was saying " one more MPH, one little wake or anything and I shall depart from controlled flight"

For most running I use a 18' aluminium prop and trim down a hole with the tanks (6gal) under the center deck. Rides better and still does 37 to 40 and is fun not exciting!! 17" and 2 holes down for pulling skiers and such!!

I am looking a a cheep jet to use in the upper Willamette river where props fear to tread!!! G3's can run there if you can read the river channel, hold your breath and not find the new gravel bar that moved in last winter. can be expensive on props (new best friend Propellor Works in Portland)

You can see my boat on the old G3 forum at the International Florida Meet. there should also be some on the trailer during the trip from Portland, OR to tiger Lake, FL

Comment

G3 Pics

Some pics taken at the Intn't G3 meet in Tiger Lake , FL. Taken by the wife of the Rider with me.
        Attached Files

Comment

jet seaflite

I lost my mind and bought it. Title says Mfg. STAR and 67. the plates, decals and other indications show it to be a 67 Starflite 17' Monoco.

Here are some pic s

backed it down to the river to see if it runs. Remind me again about drain holes and missing plugs. But it was on the pump assembly not on the transom.

Going to need some work to make it seawortyh.

OH! the engine has yellow paint markings I think it says 71 Grand Prix. I wonder if that means that the jet assembly is a outdrive replacement.

My wife is looking at me with a puzzled look?
          Attached Files

Comment

Seaflite Jet

I think it will need a rewire. What a Rat's nest of wiring!!!!!! Put it in the water andstarted the engine. Seems to run, pump water and cool allright. Replaced the carpet on the trailer bunks.

I intend on cleaning and waxing the hull which seems to be in pretty good shape.

really needs to have the wiring redone. Pics tomorrow!

Comment

Interesting....Should get with the program.:boater1:
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Wwit

Took the aternator to the parts house. does this work NO! Now I get to wire in a newer Alt. mostly from scratch. At least it is out in the open where it is easy to get to!!

I must remember it is not the original cost it is the upkeep!!

Neighbor has a old johnson control panel If anyone is interested I will snag it and send it to them. Key switch and stuff buttons with the Johnson logos.
                Attached Files

Comment

Seaflite Jet

Got the Ignition wired and the Alternator working. even got the old Tach working with the new HEI Ignition. Changed out the amp meter and replaced it with a volt meter. It works even.

Pathfinder got the Johnson panel. Sent it to him yesterday. I wish him luck with his surgery on Monday

Comment

For the most part, I am a Chevrolet man. Loved the small blocks all up until they created the 350cu engine, which, I thought was a waste of time.
                    Gets major Crap for fuel mileage unless fuel injected or the fake fuel injection (EFI)

I had a 50 chev hot rod pickup that I sold my blown 327 and put in a 4 bolt main 350. 10mpg. A real waste of time.

My 62 4x4 surburban came with a big six, I pulled that and put in a 389 pontiac which I blew up.
                    I then scored a 400cu Pontiac engine in which kept under 3000rpms, gets 15mpg if I kept my foot out of the 4 barrel.

Nice motor, good power train.:cool1:
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

more work

got the gauges hooked up. the original Tach works as well as the temp gauge. the Oil presure gauge seems to work but not the sending unit. Try new sending unit today.

Got the lights wired up. Now to the blower and bilge pump and a bunch of cleanup.

Maybe I will have the confidence to take this sucker out on the water. The first trip is always a shaky shakedown cruise!

Small steps seem so big!!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice going, hhaynes! It sure is satisfying when your efforts are rewarded by something actually working!

Comment

Old Jet Seaflite

I haven't figured out the cooling system!! I was hoping that it was raw water because that is what I think I saw in all the hoses and piping. Took it down to the river and ran it on the trailer but in the water far enough to get water. Ran nicely until it overheated. I think it may have freshwater cooling but can't quite dope out the way it works? It may be not plumbed right or not quite right. I look at it and say WTF! the oil pressure gauge worked and so did the temp gauge (really worked) steam and everything.

Howard

My G3 is a lot easier to work on!!

Comment

If you get some good pictures of different angles of the engine, I am sure folks can help.
                            Some outdrives pulled in water just like outboards did.
                            Some engines and outdrives had a sea water pickup under the tail end of the boat.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Seaflite 17' jet

I am learning a lot about jet drives. Have replumbed the bypass raw water so that the Freshwater in the block gets rawwater cooling. Not quite enough yet.

Took it to the river, started it on the trailer. It ran fine, cooled fine. My son and I took it out because it ran so good. got it up on a plane and it veered one way then back the other, rather a tricky time matching my steering with the osclations. In aircraft speak, PIO (Pilot induced Osolations)SP?

Checked the jet nozzle. Had about 5 degrees of slop on the tyler shaft. Back to the driveway. So far, my wife has not said much about the Seaflite taking up here covered parking area.

what fun removing stuck set Screws - 3 types of drills, easy? outs and penetrating fluids - got it out and dissambled. New set screws and nyliner bearings ordered and more sitting and looking and thinking about the fresh water cooling plumbing!!!!

I beleive I am making progress. Maybe I just need to de oxidize and polish the whole boat.

??? Does anyone else here have a Seaflite Boat. fiberglassics has only a 1970 sales borchure? on file.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X