1962 Merc 700 Impeller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Merc 700 Impeller

This is going to sound like a "newbie" question.....

When I run my merc shouldn't there be water coming from the upper exhaust port on the lower unit..? Also I can't seem to find the "pee" hole. (LOL)

I have attached a set of flushing ears to the lower unit and can't seem to get any water from the upper exhaust port. Warm water does stream out from around the prop very well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

pee hole

just below the removable cover on the base cover at the back on the left side is a small hole. Take a small wire and probe it. Wasps like to build nests there, others too.

Comment

Wire and then a shot of compressed air works great on the tell-tale hole.
      Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Do the probing as it is started/running and have the air down around 30 psi at first.
        It`s nice to know when it`s freed up and where it reacts to the blowing.
        The push-on Hose end fitting is where crumbs and bugs seem to end up.
        A wet finger on the block as it warms up will tell you if it`s about to get really hot or is staying the same thru-out.
        Normal for a slight delay at first starting as air is burped and purged from the block and passages.
        Goodluck and stay cool.
        TM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Water Indicator Stream

Oddly enough the Aug./Sep. 2011 issue of BoatUS magazine has an article on water indicator stream problems...pg 70.

I'll see if I can work this out...if not I'll give Greg at Tacoma Marine a call..I've been told that he's the expert on older Merc's.

Thanks to all that replied.

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X