Ross Depth Sounder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross Depth Sounder

I was down on the boat last evening after work kicking back and enjoying a cold one when three gentlemen came down to check out the boat. They were very impressed. I have new canvas covers over the helm, seats and depth sounder.

After removing the cover over the helm, one of the gents asked what was under the square cover ( he was guessing by the shape it was a Ross depth sounder). I removed the cover and they all guessed correctly and cheered!

One of the gents was Jim Ross, son or grandson of founder of Ross Laboratories in Seattle that invented the depth sounder 60 or more years ago.

I then removed the face of the sounder to reveal the Garmin GPS inside and Jim got the biggest laugh out of it! He insisted on taking pictures of it.

Small world!

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Good one!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Tim, I bet you had a lot of admirers at the boat show too. You got my vote.
      Greg James

Comment

Maybe you old salts know what that is, but us Young bucks don't have a clue. (is 63 still young )
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hey guys,
          Some guys do still use the old round Flasher sounders (besides for concealing new-age equipment)as they give you depth in a round circle like a clock....you don`t need to see the numbers ,just where it is on the dial.....and knowing what range you have it set at.
          Sold one not too long ago on C-list to a AK fisherman who wanted a working spare.
          Back when the remake of "War of the Worlds" was being made ,I was at 2 nd wave where we got an inquiry about some old equipment they wanted for a ship`s bridge scene.The Ross Sounder was one of them.
          After sending them many Digital photos I never heard back (but got a thank you at one point).
          Watching the movie I saw almost every pc I had offered to ship them.Except they were now digitally morphed into the shot!
          The Garmin plotter in the Ross unit is a great idea,now I have a use for the box of Flashers I never could throw away.:cool1:
          Kudos to McSkagit for saving more than just a cool old boat.
          TM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 18759
            Hey guys,
            Some guys do still use the old round Flasher sounders (besides for concealing new-age equipment)as they give you depth in a round circle like a clock....you don`t need to see the numbers ,just where it is on the dial.....and knowing what range you have it set at.
            Sold one not too long ago on C-list to a AK fisherman who wanted a working spare.
            Back when the remake of "War of the Worlds" was being made ,I was at 2 nd wave where we got an inquiry about some old equipment they wanted for a ship`s bridge scene.The Ross Sounder was one of them.
            After sending them many Digital photos I never heard back (but got a thank you at one point).
            Watching the movie I saw almost every pc I had offered to ship them.Except they were now digitally morphed into the shot!
            The Garmin plotter in the Ross unit is a great idea,now I have a use for the box of Flashers I never could throw away.:cool1:
            Kudos to McSkagit for saving more than just a cool old boat.
            TM
            Round Flasher type?, Red ring?......I think I have one of those but didn't look at it for more than a moment.
            Might even have two of them....Now I need to go looking :TakePicture1:
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X