1972 Fiberform 14'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Fiberform 14'

Looking to buy a used Fiber form. Owning family wants $500 for boat & trailer looks good, tires a bit flat, fiberglass a bit hazy and trailer has rusty spots. Been in garage for 11 years unused. Can't find any comparable boats to gauge price. Does price seem fair?

Originally posted by OR COAST, post: 19019
    Looking to buy a used Fiber form. Owning family wants $500 for boat & trailer looks good, tires a bit flat, fiberglass a bit hazy and trailer has rusty spots. Been in garage for 11 years unused. Can't find any comparable boats to gauge price. Does price seem fair?
    It might be a tad high. What does the bright work look like (cleats, bow light etc)

Any pictures to share with others :TakePicture1: :TakePicture1: :TakePicture1: opcorn1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Fiber form condition

Bright work has some pitting, gelcoat is hazy, tires flat with cracks. Hull appears to be in very good shape with no cracks. what I can see of the transom I don't see problems unless they're under the fiberglass. Having a good friend (who really knows boats) go with me tomorrow to take a good "look see." Not much on prices for this size/type of boat. I feel its a good price, but on the higher end since it will need some work after sitting in the garage for 11 years.

Comment

Photo

Attached a photo on this reply.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OR COAST, post: 19089
          Bright work has some pitting, gelcoat is hazy, tires flat with cracks. Hull appears to be in very good shape with no cracks. what I can see of the transom I don't see problems unless they're under the fiberglass. Having a good friend (who really knows boats) go with me tomorrow to take a good "look see." Not much on prices for this size/type of boat. I feel its a good price, but on the higher end since it will need some work after sitting in the garage for 11 years.
          Ok..Bright work not the best.
          Gelcoat needs buffing (last time I paid for that it was about 100 bucks)
          You will have to purchase tires...How much is that?
          For the most part, the fiberglass does Not crack but the wood Under is can go bad.
          I couldn't see the windshield, how is that ??

Big question.....How much of this kind of stuff can you do?
          You can get all kinds of tips and advice.

Being a 14 footer, she looks like she does not have a lot of free board.
          I forgot to look to see where your located and what type of water your going to be into...

I Have, seen way better deals. Bell Boys, Skagits to start.
          If I was looking for a "lake" boat, those are All over the place up here. Without seeing more, I would say $200 would be more like it. Sorry Seller :Scared2:
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Too much.

Comment

I see that your address is Lincoln City OR. Do you plan on going out in the ocean? You are going to need a set of trailer wheel bearings as well. What Joe said about the price , i would say the same ...no more than $200.00. If you are going out into the ocean ,pass on it as you will need a boat with more freeboard for sure. Being it has been in a garage for the past 11 years that's great, but what kind of wear & tear did it have 28 years before that? Just trying to help. Not trying to sell you a boat, but you need to look for something like this Skagit to start with for about the same price or less. It depends on how much work you want to do yourself and maybe a friend can help as well. Nice winter project down on the coast.Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Check this one out. The guy only wants $100 for it

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/2545844358.html

Comment

Sale comp here

I just finished restoring a 1972 Fiberform Columbia, 16 footer. It was free (non working motor, nice galvanized trailer, good seats), but I don't brag on that point anymore, because as of today (new tach and Keel Guard ordered), I'm up to about $3,100 invested. Search "Fiberform" on this forum and you will find a few details, and some photos of my finished boat. My boat (unknowing project) was in the same approximate condition you are describing, including a decade in garage storage. Direct answer; I agree that $200 is about equal to free, and lets the seller save face.

I also agree with the choir, 14 feet is too small for occasional salt water use. Sixteen feet is way more boat, especially when you want to have two couples aboard, or bag load of teens, etc. Sitting in your back yard or garage on the trailer, you won't notice the difference between 14 and 16 feet.

I'm super pleased with my Fiberform run-a-bout, and really glad I fixed it up, even though it’s probably not worth what I’ve spent. So what
                  Brian Vickers
                  Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Good thoughts

Thanks everyone for the input. Not heading out to sea. Bars here can be rough and don't play favors. And I don't have the "T-shirt." Planning on lake and rivers here on the coast.
                    Window is dusty but all there. Engine is a Sea King 40 and seems all there. No way to start it up. Decking behind rear seats seems "soft" but is firm up forward. Trailer is rusty (rust pitting) and have no idea about wiring.
                    Attached 2 more pics.

All, thanks again for the assist!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ah, she has a Motor as well.

Well, if that engine has good compression and spark, you might consider paying the $400.
                      Most of those engines that sits for a long time, the coils go bad so no spark.

I see you have a pretty good size lake close by plus down south is 10 mile lake ???
                      Can't remember but I am a transplant from Oregon to Washington. Used to live in Sandy Oregon (Base of Mount Hood on the west side of the mountain)

Check out Super Sportster's posts as he has a smaller boat, fishes All the time it seems and never gets near salt water.
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Yes, Devils Lake is just down the street. 10-Mile lake is down nearer Florence. But we have several nice rivers to boat on as well that are nearby.

Comment

Got the boat

Went and got the boat today. Now starts the fun of tinkering to get it licensed and running. Great winter project.

Comment

Working...
                          X