Going North !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going North !

Monday will be Sheila first time out in our Skagit 20 "Bainbridge " since we got it a year ago in August along with ChuckB in his ( Beachcraft 24'er ) "mighty whale" as he calls it to Marrowstone Island ( Port Townsend area ) from Everett ramp to Marty's place to pick up some items. Last time up that way was with the club in about 07 ? Film at 11...ChuckC
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

I'll look for the movie in the morning. 11 is too late for me! Have a great trip. We are looking at taking Rosario to Pelican Beach on Cypress today. Have a great trip!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jerry, To bad we will not be going up your way today.There is always next year. Have fun ! Chuck

Comment

We Are Backkkkk !

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 19042
        Monday will be Sheila first time out in our Skagit 20 "Bainbridge " since we got it a year ago in August along with ChuckB in his ( Beachcraft 24'er ) "mighty whale" as he calls it to Marrowstone Island ( Port Townsend area ) from Everett ramp to Marty's place to pick up some items. Last time up that way was with the club in about 07 ? Film at 11...ChuckC
        Well we got home a little early today being we got only as far as just south of foulweather bluff where the wind waves were at the 4 foot stage,Thinking we would have to come back the same way later and just maybe the water condition just might be worst. This was fast becoming a no enjoyment afternoon cruise about 1 hour into it from Everett ( oh yea the Everett Police where there checking boat, but this time they saw my CG sticker..no inspection. ) then throw a little fog into it as well. I really don't enjoy getting pounded to death for over a hour but boater know that can happen , but this was way belong that. We did slow down to 9 knot finally as we had tried 12 knot up to 16 ) and it still was not all that great. There were some 50 foot + boats plowing thru the water i think trying to set speed records going south to home after a long weekend. Chuck's boat can manage the waves much better that a Skagit. We will try again next year as far as Sheila coming along. South Sound looks better all the time. Just got a few pictures ( that's when it was still good ) as i was hanging onto the steering wheel the rest of the time. ChuckB ,Thanks for parting the waters. ChuckC
        Attached Files

Comment

Yep! as we rounded Posession Pt. it started to get a little rough, then half way between Whidby and Point No Point, the Yachts, the white caps on the swells were beating ChuckC to a powder. Notice no pic's from that part of the journey, Foulweather Bluff lived up to it's name as the water was worse North of it than South. The whale even buried the bow once. But after breaking the way for Bainbridge on the return, the water calmed quite a bit, but there were no fish left from the gilnetters...
          ChuckB
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Oh and I almost forgot, It was Classic Boat Monday! Besides Chuck's 20', there was another Skagit 20', a 17' (cool Junk), a 70's Glasspar Seafair Sedan (Old Blue), and another Tolly/Beachcraft like the whale. Sorry about the absence of pic's, but I've not a working camera at the present time... left cards with those that were not members.
            ChuckB
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Chuck, After we left you to fish, we saw a BellBoy 16 , John Berg with "cool junk" and at the ramp we also saw Greg Silcox with his Skagit 20. Been fishing and had only one fish. Chuck

Comment

I really don't enjoy getting pounded to death for over a hour.

Hey Chuck is your Skagit foamed? I took the Bellboy out for the first time this year and had a ball. SouthSound of course not so nasty.
                John & Diane Kelly

Comment

None of us like getting pounded in our old flat botom boats. Try bringing the bow down with the power trim. A little movement can help smooth the ride. Get the bow to cut the chop. Sometimes it can help.

Comment

John, Back in the 80's & 90's we went up to LaConner ,Port Ludlow, PT , over to Poulsbo and a few others places. This has to of been #2 on my hit parade as the 2nd worst water condition trip. The only other one worst than today was back in 1998 coming out of Thatcher Pass with our 2858 Bayliner that took a pounding like a cork with a rip tide ! To this day Sheila will not go to the San Juan Island in any boat except a ferry. When i went with the club back in about 06 to the SJ i told her how great it was and since then our son Dan has told her how great the water condition have been like going to Blake Island and other places this year and around Bainbridge last year etc. The year before she went on the 2009 Bainbridge Island outing in the Farallon AND we had to be towed back to Edmonds. Last year she only went out in the G-3 ( since the Farallon was sold ) and had a great time on Mason and Mayfield !...get the drift ? lol We will try next year. Oh yea, the Skagit is foam and normally rides very well. That is one of the things i really like about her..except today was not her day. Clint, That's usually the first thing i do is to bring the bow down with the power trim. I have found out that is the only way to go except for today as the swells,winds, and white caps were coming from all directions. Chuck

Comment

I hear you loud and clear. Diane's hand hold on the BB has a plaque the says "nervous" ! The Sound does make her eyes get real big.
                      John & Diane Kelly

Comment

I can attest to the roughness on Saturday. Was out fishing near Jeff Head in my friends Seafair Sedan. It was awful. But we did catch some fish.
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Bow up or down made no difference as the seas were confused from wind, tide, ships and yacht wakes. I wasn't going to mention it Chuck that when Sheila goes out on the sound, there seems to be a wee bit of problems.
                          Echo. PS, my wife said she was glad she didn't go after hearing the story...

Comment

Working...
                          X