Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Galv. Trailer recomendations for Seafair Sedan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galv. Trailer recomendations for Seafair Sedan?

Hi!

So after our shakedown camping trip to Mayfield lake, we came away realizing that we need a new galvanized trailer for our 18' 1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan. I just don't feel comfortable with this old massive trailer behind me. I want a nice newer galvanized trailer with surge disc brakes, for the regular dippings it will have in Puget Sound and for pulls all over the state in camping season. Total weight of my boat is about 1500#. I got a quote from Boat Country for a King with tax, title, spare tire, for about $3K, which seems a little high?...

Thoughts?
    Recomendations?
    Got one laying around?

Thanks, Sean.
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Sean, Call Mike back at Boat County ( tell him Chuck from the boat club said hi ) and ask him how much a 2110KB King trailer would be. The rating is 2110 lb's and "B" is for bunk. They have run in the past about $1500.00 ? plus tax. Go to LS or any tire store to get the spare with wheel.....NOT West Marine ! My Skagit 17' was 1435 lb so i really don't think you need brakes. Never had a problem.Just take it easy going over the mountians. That's is what i did. I have had 6-7 Kings trailer. Good trailer. Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Sean ,
      I like my Caulkins from 1998 under mine as it lowers it down and has a shorter tongue.This way the trailer straddles the bow and makes the profile much lower,though they end up being wider at the wheels.
      The lower they sit ,the easier to get in/out of while on land,plus they don`t look so huge and intimidating,and save gas on the road.
      Trailers with extended tongues will mean your keel ends up on top of a
      4`` tube.With the rear rising as you go aft,you`ll end up with either super tall a sloped looking package.
      Look for an over 80`` wide and with shorter tongue.
      I can sometimes get a deal thru the Wooldridge folks on EZLoaders if exact model is known......(ordered as they need anymore) we can "pad" an order with a special request,some of my restos get the new -trailer treatment.
      They also have a tandem 2001 King trade-in they offered me this past week,full brakes and all fully serviced and with ,4 bunks ,guide-ons,spare ,etc,$~1600....18-21` so it`s bigger than you may need/want.This is a $4500 ride.
      I`m "borrowing" my Seafair trailer for a new arrival......so I`m looking at trailer ideas too!
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Congratulations Tim, I didn't even now you were expecting.

What are you dragging home now?
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Do you all really think I don't need brakes? Really? I'll admit that I don't have a lot of experience with trailering, but it just seems like if I've got 2000# behind my car, that brakes on the trailer would be a good idea, because A, it's safer, and B, without brakes it seems like I'm just asking for putting more stress on the transmission and brakes on my car unecessarily. But maybe I'm wrong on both points? Thoughts?

Tim, are you saying that you have a trailer for sale?

Comment

I don't like towing a jet ski with my S10 pickup, but I feel fine towing a 4000 lbs of Bell Boy with my Durango. It kind of depends on the towing vehicle in my opinion.
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Well I have a 2004 BMW X5 which seems to handle the weight just fine, I don't win any races, and I drive pretty conservatively but I don't seem to have any issues with towing or brakeing. My other vehicle is going to be a Sprinter diesel van. So both of them have adequate towing capacity, it just seemed to me that brakes were a good idea, but perhaps I'm wrong?...

Comment

Sean ,
                I`m one trailer short myself but had the King tandem one offered at a great deal.Just offering it to anyone who may have a better need ....and an Automatic to pull it.
                Trailers with brakes tend to eat clutches(moreso with tandems...) ,so I hope you have an Automatic in the Bmw.
                Usually stopping is what matters so the Max Brake # rating for the tow rig will dictate whether to get brakes.
                TM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Sean-
                  Sounds like you're on a great forum to determine an appropriate trailer for the Seafair Sedan. Lots of great experience here.
                  Technically, it depends in what states you intend to use the trailer as to whether brakes are required. Washington requires brakes above a total weight of 2800 lbs the last time I checked.
                  The challenge for most boaters is, how much does all that stuff we put in our boats for expeditions weighs. To take some of the stress off my trailer, tires, etc., I'll wait to fuel up until close to the launch destination. Many items are stowed in the truck, to be placed in the boat when at the launch, especially when we're "camping".
                  I estimate ( haven't had it scaled) that my total weight (boat, motor, trailer, anchor, basic gear, fuel tanks, battery) is 2500 lbs. When we had the brakes set up on this present trailer, it was almost awkward controlling the vehicle when they came on. Our truck has 4 wheel discs.
                  Best of luck on your decision !
                  bruceb

Comment

Sean - did you find a trailer for the Seafair?

Since I am about to look for a new trailer for the 1961 Seafair Phaeton I was wondering if you followed Chuck's suggestion of a King KB2100 or got something else. If so, how has it worked out?

The 1961 original trailer (made in Boise) that came with the Phaeton needs to be phased out. I am going to consider the KBW2410 as well for a bit more width. (EZW 2300 or EZ15-18 2350 are other options.)

Any suggestions welcomed.
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

I got a good 1999 EZ Loader with rollers for $650, that I'm rewiring now, and putting a new winch on. Trailer transfer day should be in several weeks...

Comment

Working...
                      X