Having backup...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having backup...

It was a typical day of taking a rookie from Southern Idaho out for his first salmon fishing trip. Overcast, smooth water, finickey Coho jumping off the hook at the boat, lots of flounder and an all around good time. When the bait was all used up, I was manuvering the whale through a debris field, there had been many, off the Richmond Beach Tank Farm, when suddendly the there was a thump under my feet and before I could disengage the gear the RPM's rose to the red line and I shut her down. I'd hit a submerged dead head and sheared the pin on the prop (hopefully, that's all!) As the rookie wondered what we were going to do, the mighty Honda 9.9 fired up and off to Shilshole we went. 12 miles we traveled at about 8 kts, on a half a gallon of gas.
    There have been many times I've gone out alone without the backup, but never again. Always have a backup! Even the rookie knows that now.
    ChuckB
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

24 mpg!

Chuck,
    You realize you are getting 24 MPG with the little motor?
    Now that is pretty amazing considering the weight you had to push.
    TM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim:
      Displacement speed though, not even close to a plane. Though the thought of 4 of them across the stern...
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

How about a backup for the backup?

A couple of weeks ago, while hanging out on Orcas Island, my main motor blew a head gasket. I didn't know that at the time, but I could tell something wasn't quite right when it wouldn't idle below 4K. I had a couple of days to debate whether I should have it towed back to Washington Park, or try it on my own with the 1977 Evinrude 6 horse that always starts on the first pull. The threat of 20 knot wind made me choose the tow. It turned out that there wasn't any wind and I would have made it just fine, or so I thought. Yesterday I tried to use the 6 horse on another boat and guess what? Yeah, I didn't get half a mile and it died and still won't start. I went back and put on the 4 horse. The only backup I have left is an electric trolling motor... and oars.

Comment

About three years ago, I was having nothing but trouble with my Merc 650 on the Sea Lion. When it broke down while crabbing off Eliza island and I went to come home it wouldn't start and I broke the rope on the old 5 hp Buccanneer. Had an electric trolling motor in the bow and came home on it. It was a slow run (about 1 mph) and the batteries on the Sea Lion just managed to get it to the dock. It isn't a saltwater electric but it did the job and still works. Then I bought towing insurance and haven't needed a tow or a backup motor since.
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

So what you're saying is the towing insurance works. VeryBigSmile
            Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
            Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Way it works

Kind of like - it won't rain if you carry your umbrella ! :shocked3:
              Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Uh...I think I will go start mine again, then fog it after adding the stabul to the gas. At least I will know if she starts and runs again.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hey Guys ,
                  Stan`s tow also kept him from running + potentially ruining a repairable engine (Head Gasket.....VeryBigSmile).
                  Towing plans also have ranges and limits unless the upper end of their offerings,usually a deductable is part of the deal.
                  Some have Salt and freshwater plans.
                  Towing without a pre-bought plan is at a flat rate by the hour,from their dock to where the tow is.......$95 for upright towing,$500/Hr if you get into a salvage situation and need a "Lift".:shocked4:
                  Stan will be underway on main power by week`s end as he did everthing right.
                  I used to boat on the Wa coast with no kicker.....until I saw what happens to boats when "pancaked" by rogue waves......or drifting to beach because of a $2 plastic fitting.
                  TM
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

Yah, Jack and Rick. It is sort of like when I bought life insurance when I got my first job out of college and I ain't dead yet! Just too bad I didn't get the extended warranty for Rosario!
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

And i have BoatUS! I just remember several years ago when Chuck Carey's Merc died on his Farallon, and how long he waited for a tow. Reliable and adaquate backup is unbeatable, and adds a great measure of safety. And we were bucking a 5-10k headwind...

Comment

I have BoatUS "unlimited" towing insurance. What that means though, is they pay half for whatever distance I want to go. It cost me $300 for a two hour tow, and that was for five hour response time. I think it was double for faster service. That would be $1200/hr, if I got it right, without insurance. Luckily we called the day before we wanted the tow so we qualified for the lower rate.

Comment

I remember a few years ago when I was giving my grandson his first boatride and my Evinrude 35 died near Oak Harbor. Turned out to be a fuel pump. I'll never forget his "sigh of relief" look when I fired up my Honda 8 kicker and off we went at 8 knots.
                          Kent & Diane
                          '58 Westerner

Comment

Working...
                          X