• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film @ 11

WoW ! What a neat Boat ! ! Thanks Dan
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

They're all neat when you first get them home... especially if the wife likes it!
    "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Today after our NWCBC meeting i met Dan ( thank you Dan for the boat and for bring it up to Tacoma from the Columbia River since you were down there ) over at the Target store to pick up my new ( Old ) 1958 Dorsett 15 Runbout. It's has been 51 years or so since i have seen or own one. Sheila got home about 6:45pm and as she got out of the car i said, i bet you have not seen one of these since you & i were about 21 years old ! lol She ( not Sheila lol ) is in the garage getting all warm up for when i start working on her. I do think i will start out with some elbow grease buffing out the gel coat instead of painting it as she really does not look all that bad after 53 years. The upholstery and canvas top also look in VERY good shape.I think i will have the canvas made into a bimini top with a nice boot with "Dorsett" on it. Would not take that much to convert it. Someone did spend $$$ on the upholstery and canvas. I do think they will clean up very nice.The windshield does have one small crack , but i think i will just leave it that the way unless it cracks more later as it is kind of hard to see anyway. Also i will switch the steering over to Tel-a-Flex from the cable system. Sheila thinks this one is a lot better condition than some of the boats i have brought home in the past. I agree ! In the next day or so i will attempt to start the motor up as Dan did say he had her running about 6 months ago but i might still switch to the 1983 70 hp Evinrude that i have had for the Skagit 17 instead as i think it might be more reliable and on gas and it does have trim & tilt.Time will tell on that. The Tee Nee trailer has a big frame on it and will find out more info from Rick Love on that but it did really well towing it home at 65-70. It needs a lot of cleaning up. Oh did i say this will be my last boat ? Huh ?.....really. More later. Chuck
      Attached Files

Comment

Yea Chuck, She did like it, but she never will understand why i put boats in the garage instead of cars.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 19916
          Yea Chuck, She did like it, but she never will understand why i put boats in the garage instead of cars.
          My father taught me, "if you can fit a car in the garage, you need another boat"....
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I just found out today after ChuckB stopped by that this is a 1958 17' Dorsett Saratoga model and not the smaller 15' Belmont. It's 17' long and 79" wide. We looked up the brochure and started to compare the spec's. I was told by someone else before i got it home that it was a Belmont model. I think it also has the orginal Tee Nee trailer as it is a 1958 model too? Going to check that out along with the motor. That would be something if all three parts have been sold and still together since 1958...just maybe? Here's what the wording was in 1958 brochure kind of funny the way they describe it. Double click on the brochure as that will make it easier to read. Chuck

Comment

Nice score, Chuck! That thing is in such great shape,maybe you won't even have to count her in the mix! You will have her dolled up in nothing flat. Have fun! Ross
              Ross Henson

Comment

Yes, at last you have a "big he-man runabout"! That ad is too funny!

Comment

You're welcome, Chuck! Good to see her being saved instead of turning into a blackberry trellis. I'm not positive, but I think the Evinrude 75 is a 1959 model. I believe the previous owner said he inherited the boat from his father who bought it new. Maybe contact him from the title info? Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Chuck post the model # and serial # and I can look up the year of motor. I have a book that gives all the Johnson and Evinrude #s from the start until the book was published. Clint

Comment

Dan, Thanks for the info. I did call information last night and got a phone number in Lynnwood but it was not the same person. Just looking it over you can tell this boat was well kept thru the years like the condition of the seats, canvas ? and everything else Plus it's still has the original speed-o-meter and Dorsett steering wheel but it is a cable system. My thinking was to replace the cable system with Tel-A-Flex ,but now i'am thinking about keeping it because of the Dorsett steering wheel and just clean it up. My question to myself is how much am i going to be using the boat as far as wishing i had Tel-A-Flex compared to cable system and beside the cable looks in good condition. My plan is to buff the heck out of the gel coat as i really don't want to paint this one if i don't have to. Will see how it goes.Today after work, i set up things in the garage and did a little clean up in the cockpit. Just in the short time i have been away from Dorsett's in the last year and a half , i forgot how wide their transoms are! ...even the runabouts are wide at 79". It's the same hull as the Catalina as per the brochure. After fixing her up then comes the trailer, mind u it will not be as nice as Rick's Love's Tee Nee is, but better than the way it is now after all of the fair - wear and tear years since 1958. Going to see if i can get the time to pressure wash her tomorrow.

Clint just told me it's a 1960 Evinrude motor. Thanks,Chuck
                      Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, just remember there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

You might know of the reporter who was interviewing the new head of a mental institution and the conversation went like this:
                        Reporter: How do you determine whether a person should be locked up in your institution?
                        Head doctor: We give the patient a bathtub full of water, a tablespoon, a cup and a pail and ask him to empty the tub.
                        Reporter: Oh, I see, if he grabs the pail, he's mentally stable.
                        Head doctor: No, if he pulls the plug, he's okay. Now, do you want an inside room or one with a window?

Oh, did I mention, I used to be a reporter?
                        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Yea,Yea Yea, and yes i knew you had been a reporter. That must be a reporter joke. lol Chuck

Comment

That crack in the windshield if you Drill a 1/16 hole at the end of the crack it will stop it from going any father. I had to do this to 2 small cracks in my windshield on my 57 EnduraCraft.
                            Mike aka the pirate
                            Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Mike thanks for that idea. I have heard about that before but always went and got a new one. That's kind of funny as i was just thinking about that windshield just this morning. Now thinking about a few other options too. This might turn into all out winter project. Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X