Just got back in the water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back in the water

Launched Monday after a week on the hard at Jensen's Shipyard. Pressure washed the hull, replaced the zincs (all were gone) and made the fourth modification of my rudder trim tab. I thought the rudders were the wrong design for the boat, probably okay for a 8-10 knot boat, but above 15 knots or so, got difficult to steer. Prior to the elaborate power steering setup that I was contemplating installing, I decided to cut off part of the rudder's trailing edge.

Most people want more rudder, not less, but nonetheless decided to cut off a triangle piece from each rudder, since the trailing edge wasn't parallel to the rudder post. The piece I cut off the trailing edge of each rudder is about 1.25" at the top and tapers down to nothing at the bottom. This change makes the trailing edge parallel to the rudder post and increases slightly the rudder balance. Not a great loss of area.

I doubled up on the shaft zincs (four on each shaft) and pounded out a small ding on each propeller. Last summer I hit a branch (about 3 inches in diameter and six feet long) with my stbd prop. There was a loud bang and then a grinding noise...sounded BAD! I hired a diver to look at the prop and he said wait till next haul-out. I was pleased to see that the ding was only a half inch long and deformed the leading edge only a sixteenth or so. Easily pounded out. Also found a ding about the same on the port prop. Don't remember that one? The 18" four blade props are massive and therefore durable. The same branch would have destroyed an aluminum Duoprop.

My fourth redesigned rudder trim tab is 20% the size of the first. Happy to say that this one does the job with a neutral helm. I can let go the wheel and it stays on heading. Took it out for a sea trial Monday....was blowing 20 with gusts to 30, so decided to stay fairly close to FH in San Juan channel. Boat runs great and easily hit 30 MPH. The boat is a real kick to operate, especially in calm water. It's so smooth, the sensation is of flying. Rough water such as encountered Mondy is exhilarating. You can blast through a two, three or four foot chop with ease. I did hit one wave on the port bow Monday that resulted in a pretty loud bang, but I was doing close to 30 in a three foot chop. A couple things slid off the table, but otherwise no damage.

I'll be updating my photos here on FGNW over the next couple weeks. Also working on some video of the boat in action...Stay tuned....

McSkagit

picture from Spring haul out
    new picture shows part of rudders cut off
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Looks great even on the hard without props. Great to know that just a bit of winter, maybe a little spring and we'll all be boating again!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Boating in the Spring

Jerry,
      I was boating today. Went over to Parks bay and enjoyed the sunny afternoon. Water flat calm.

Comment

Boy, that is looking so good Tim.

Hope you can get a cover on her soon..

Looking Good :cool1:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Hot harbor!

Hey Tim,

Seems like we just put her in yesterday.

Thanks for reminding me about zincs.

The Shelter Bay Harbor is really hot!

Zincs last about 6 months here.

Have a good T'day.

Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Zincs

Zincs here last about three months. I'm going to install a galvanic isolator and suggest that all the boat owners around me do too. Maybe then the marina will cool off a bit.....
            Yeah, time flys when you're having a good time.....

Comment

preventative maintenance...

Tim and Steve, you've proven once again that there is always something to worry about in this "sport". For those of us that haven't had moorage in salt, what makes for a HOT marina? stray voltage? improper grounding? extraordinary salinity? seagull poop? Marilyn Monroe posters?

Most of us probably understand basic galvanic principles, but the thought of replacing Zincs every three months makes my head hurt. Replacing an 18" prop is a daunting prospect $$$.

It is heartening to see you having such a great time cruising, in your time machine...G

Comment

Ahoy Tim, Monday October 24th my wife and I were on our way to Sydney Canada via a Whashington State ferry boat ( don't rember the name of boat). The ferry was boarding cars at Friday Harbor. We were on the upper deck trying to get a glimpse of your boat in the harbor. After scaning the harbor we looked to the East and what did we see but you and your boat coming into the harbor. It was a clear sunny morning with calm waters ( not very common lately) your boat was up on plane and looking majestic, you slowed to harbor speed and passed the ferry boat. We waved and you returned our wave. Thanks for that moment. It was a perfect way to start our week long trip to Vancouver Island. Andy E. and Katherine.

Comment

Galvanic corrosion

Andie E. and Katherine, My pleasure...that was you!

About galvanic corrosion in marinas. Boats hooked to shore power have all their bonding systems hooked together via the green grounding wire in the shore cord. Dissimilar metals hooked together in an electrolyte (sea water) produces a battery. One boat is the cathode (aluminum outdrive), one the anode. Electrolysis starts eating the metals (your props).

The galvanic isolator is a pair of diodes back to back that don't allow DC to flow back through your bonding system, but does allow any leaking AC to go to ground. At least that's the theory.

There is also leaking DC caused by a bad wire insulation lying in the salty water in the bilge.

Big marinas usually have big electrolysis problems.
                  My boat has CopperPoxy bottom coating that is about 80% copper. This may also be an issue in my rapidly disappearing zincs.
                  More on this topic later...

Tim

Comment

Electroly$i$ and Prop$

[quote="slo-mo, post: 20127"] Replacing an 18" prop is a daunting prospect $$$.

It is heartening to see you having such a great time cruising, in your time machine...G[/QUOTE

Replacing an 18" prop is a daunting prospect $$$.
                    I'm being very careful not to let electrolysis get going as the props are $850 each.
                    Tim

attached a couple pics from a recent fishing trip. Water was flat calm....
                    Like the Saratogan's big cockpit and stern gate for fishing.
                    I found a vintage Wilcox Crittenden pole holder in my brothers stuff. NOS and solid bronze! Beefie! :fishing:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tim, Chuckc will have a heart attack when sees you about to get fish guts all over the Saratogan.
                      Steve Kiesel
                      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Fish guts

Fish guts wash off. The Saratogan is meant to be used.
                        Attached picture of Matt and Valerie (travelmatt) who stopped by to eyeball the 31 on the second of November.

Hope it's okay to post your picture.....

McSkagit
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tim, It always makes my day to see the Sarstoga. I always wondered what zincs were used for. Thanks. I like your pull holder. Multy adjustable and easy to reposition.
                          Greg James

Comment

Marinas

Very interesting about the Rudder.
                            On my Woodey Century 1963 it had a large rudder that the previous
                            owner had installed. This resulted in hard steering 20 up to max speed. I changed out to the smaller rudder and now its easy steering at all hull speeds . and very easy to dock .
                            At the Marina Del Ray facility we had lots of electrolysis problems.
                            I also did the double up of zinks & Driver changed out every 6 months.
                            Ingvar the Swedster
                            Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Comment

Steve, I did read that about the fish guts ! My past and present boats are not half as nice as the Saratogan ! On my Dorsett Saratoga i was thinking about not rugging it and go on the wild side and just take the hose inside the cockpit , but after thinking about it......Hummmm. There is one fella in the club that i mention the color that i might paint it and his comment was it will show the dirt. I told him i always wash it and towel dry them before and after i have had them out and keep a cover on it in between outings. Steve nice to see you on the board way down there ! Chuck
                              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                              X