Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late welcome....

Welcome Ken,
    Do see Norm on the OB and I do believe the oil mixture is possibly 24:1 on the old ones,at least I thought my mix jug said pre-64,24:1.
    Never use non-marine oil (chainsaw,snowmobile,or air-cooled powertool) or really cheap stuff sold at convenience stores.
    TCW3 is the latest and best standard,with some better low-smoke and synthetic types that sometimes matter,but usually not worth the extra cost.
    The starter will also work better with a non-deep cycle battery as a cheaper Cranking type should give a hotter charge.Of course if needing a starter overhaul or swap then proceed as needed.
    Cool boat,definately try to make opening day for the "Rockstar" treatment.You can make the day what you want it to be as we can go run the lake going to or after parading,do a casual lunch in the Sand Pt. inlet by UW or just float around and gawk at the throngs of boats and wild boaters.It does get tight quarters at times but conversations among boats and land-based spectators is pretty easy.
    The Renton event was really fun too,more eating than boating but that meant we could finish some stories and meet some new friends.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, interesting comment about the battery. I have both a new marine and new car battery (with strong cranking amps), will try the other to see if it helps

I found my outboard model number 35530H, SN 01066

todays weather made me want to play hookie and get the boat out on the water, but I know i need to get a few things checked out first.

Comment

Ken

Awesome boat you have there. Can't wait to see it in person. Just a thought on cranking your motor over. I just went through this with a 57 Javelin with the same initial results. First I got a better fully charged battery as has been suggested but then I also got a better set of jumper cables to hook direct to the starter motor. That got it spinning. Now it works fine. Barry

Comment

Barry I will give that a try also. It is spinning over, just does not seem to want to spin fast enough. dont know if a soleniod could cause that or an old starter. On a car, it usually just fails..

Comment

Originally posted by Boones, post: 1725
            Barry I will give that a try also. It is spinning over, just does not seem to want to spin fast enough. dont know if a soleniod could cause that or an old starter. On a car, it usually just fails..
            All the solenoid does is Engage the starter, it does nothing else.
            If its not spinning fast enough, its been setting for a long time, it could be gummed up.
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Ken,

Wow! That is an inspiring boat and worth the wait! Gives us something to shoot for And the fins.....sigh....Enjoy!

Lauryn

Comment

Working...
              X