Seattle boating photo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle boating photo

Anyone care to take a guess at when and where this photo was taken? This area has such great history, I wish the present wasn't so dismal!

BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Husky stadium...1962 Worlds Fair?
    Kent & Diane
    '58 Westerner

Comment

Seattle high School Memorial Statium. Seattle Worlds Fair. Some of the boats used were Steletoes'.
      Greg James

Comment

Seattle Worlds Fair

A really dumb idea that worked out well. Seattle Memorial Stadium was taken over by the water skiers throught the run of the fair. the Black Watch performed the Tatoo at night and crazy daredevils water skied in a watering trough by day.

"Washington's Olympia Brewing Company (ad slogan "It's the water") sponsored Tommy Barlett's International Water Ski Stars in the World's Fair's "It's the Water" Water Ski Show. Four free shows per day were held in Memorial Stadium, in a large, ring-shaped, concrete "aquadrome" that held nearly a million gallons of water." Total cost for construction.... $75,000. That was back when a dollar was worth something.

Check out this really bad fim of the show http://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/1...boat-jump.html
        Attached Files
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

what boat?

Okay we pinned down the Who, Where and When. Someone identify the boat being used.
          Attached Files
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

1962 Worlds Fair @ Seattle Memorial Stadium I was there. If i recall right , the smaller boats where 14' Stiletto's and larger one's 15' or 16' Pacific Mariner's. Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

A friend of mine was a local Merc dealer and mechanic who suppied and maintained all the Mercs used in the show. After going over the jump several times he had to replace the skegs on the engines. The show was very impressive.
              Greg James

Comment

Everyone is right on! Click the link below to see the high resolution file. The boats are very clear in this picture. They must have just pushed them off the dock into the water.

Water Ski Picture
                BRIAN FRANCHINI
                LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Working...
                X