King trailer - new Vortex hubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King trailer - new Vortex hubs

I chatted with the King trailer rep at the Portland Boat show and he gave a good sales pitch for their new Vortex axle hubs. They can be used on any of the King trailers (or added to existing King trailers for a modest amount - as I recall $70 per axle but could be wrong on that). They have a 100,000 mile or 6 year limited warranty*. (Enough miles for all of Marty's trailer trips.)

Does anyone know more about the Vortx Hubs? http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c1157.pdf

I've heard that the oil bath system on EZ loader hubs are finicky.
    Has anyone had problems with the oil bath hubs?

*1 year parts/labor, 5 additional years on parts
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

The trouble with oil bath wheel bearing systems is that they are primarily used on rigs that are in constant use. They do vent a bit. As they heat up and cool condensation develops which if not driven to re-coat the bearing surfaces with oil rust starts to form. I know I don't use my trailer enough during boating season to properly keep the bearing lubricated as required not too mention the off season. Also servicing the oil bath type is not a DIY proposition.

The lubrication system in the link you posted at least is serviceable by the average driveway mechanic provided you use their grease/oil.

Melanie
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Hubs by Tie Down Engineering

Years ago I rebuilt my Calkins two axle trailer. i bought disc brakes from the King trailer plant in Marysville. All new lines, rebuilt the master cylinder, installed the backup solenoid...everything. They lasted exactly one launching and froze up. I had to use a BIG hammer to get the calipers off the discs.

Never have had much regard for anything made by Tie Down Engineering since....

McSkagit
      Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
      X