Gar Wood Miss America VIII Coming up for auction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gar Wood Miss America VIII Coming up for auction

Gar Wood built beautiful runabouts. He also built race boats. Ten, Miss Americas. Number eight was supposedly his favorite. Thirty feet long and powered with a pair of V-12 Packards, number VIII won the 1929 and 1930 Harmsworth trophy.

But Wood wanted more. He wanted the world's speed record. In 1931, Wood commissioned engineer Harry Miller to build him a pair of 1,113 cu in. V-16 aluminum engines.

Miller completed the engines, a bit over budget and behind schedule. The engines were installed in Miss America VIII and sea trials conducted. But mechanical problems kept the boat from competing with the Miller V-16's.

Packards were put back in and the boat again won the Harmsworth. The Miller engines were sold to a private party and hulls nine and ten were raced again with Packards.

Many years later, the Miller V-16's were reunited with hull VIII. The Aluminum V-16 were rebuilt and dyno tested and run in. While the Packard V-12's produce somewhere around 800 horsepower at a modest 2500 RPM, the Millers with their Schwitzer-Cummins supercharger produce 1800 horsepower at 6000 RPM. The engines feature 60 degrees between banks, dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. 3600 horsepower and rope steering....OH YEAH!

The engines are finished, looks like without the superchargers, and with four 1150 CFM Holleys! The hull isn't complete, needs finish and hook up the engines.

Perfect boat to add to your collection. See the Mecum Auction site for more info and a video.

McSkagit
    Attached Files
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Holly Crap (get it?) those must be loud! Can you imagine? You would need ear plugs and over the ear protection and it would probably still be deafening. Sure looks like fun though!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

...not to mention inhaling clouds of exhaust from those 32 stacks! What a ride!

I wonder why the cockpit is behind the engines? Some sort of balance thing?

Comment

Helm behind the engines

Hey Capt. Dan,

Note the holes in the bottom of the seats.

At least that's what I have been told.......

Web site says it REAL LOUD!

McSkagit
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

My father was involved in making this boat run with the packards sometime in the early 90's when a previus owner (in cooperation with the raceboat museum) was restoring the boat... They had it out a few times but never made it run at any decent speeds... Obviously somewhere along the timeline they let it sit and deteriorate to it's current condition. Somewhere I have 35mm film of me sitting at the helm with it fully varnished and looking amazing!!!

Could be a rocketship if someone has the resources to finish it...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 20876
            Note the holes in the bottom of the seats...
            **snort** I assumed they were for ventilating the accumulated sweat - the heat from those behemoths must be incredible. :Scared1:

Comment

My guess would be the holes are for draining something entirely different.....:Runaway1:
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

This boat has such a rich history of owners and homeports and yet the seller is telling none of it!! This boat was donated to the NASCAR speed museum then brought up to Seattle where it was reunited with the Miller motors (never actually ran with them though due to tearing out both drive shafts at the dock!!). Then the current owners came and bought the package for somewhere in the ballpark of $800k!!!

Truthfully there is probably 20-50k worth of work left to finish the hull then maybe 10k in motor/trans finishing... That's assuming the previous work was done right, still don't understand why the boat was stripped? When it was in Seattle the raceboat museum did a restoration but kept all the original goldflake lettering intact, boat was beautiful and preserved!!!
                Brian Flaherty

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty, post: 20889
                  ... then brought up to Seattle where it was reunited with the Miller motors (never actually ran with them though due to tearing out both drive shafts at the dock!!).
                  Details please! How or why did the driveshafts get torn out? Unbalanced? Too much HP?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Dan, post: 20891
                    Details please! How or why did the driveshafts get torn out? Unbalanced? Too much HP?
                    Remember now I was like 8 when this all went down, but I have been hanging out with the man who orchastrated the selling to the current owners...

The crew in Seattle had the boat all dyno'd and trailer running so they headed to a ramp and while at the dock they "exploded" one drive shaft (possibly both by the end of the day) no one is quite sure why they failed... Could be imbalances, misalignment, or maybe the superchargers were just too much. Could explain why the super chargers have now been removed... I am trying to dig up some of the old photos and scan them into digital so I can post them.. Hopefully Sunday after another trip to parents house...

This boat was also the "one" that started the foundation that would evolve into the "Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum" that we have in south Seattle today.. A small group of "investors" started a nonprofit and "donated" spare raceboats to make it look legit so they could convince all 27 of Wood's heirs to sign away any interest in the boat. Then this group went down and "stole" their boat out of a storage facility at the NASCAR speed museum (the boat was technically theirs but Gar Wood Jr. was trying to claim it was his) The courts finally agreed with the Seattle group in September of '91 (I was 7.75 years old)
                    Brian Flaherty

Comment

Working...
                    X