Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello All,

Just a brief introduction and thank you for this great Forum.

My husband and I have decided that this is finally the year to realize our dream of owning a boat. While engaging in research to discover what boat would be a good fit for our small family we stumbled upon Marty, who directed us here. We were immediately drawn to the idea of a vintage boat (having spent years loving all kinds of other things from the 50's) and have now narrowed our focus specifically to finding a small turn key vintage boat.

Although I have a long history of boating (motor and sail) in my family / background I feel like a complete novice. So in other words, thanks in advance for bearing with the many questions I may have in the process of becoming a Classic Boat owner.

We are looking for a 14' - 16' turn key boat (no restoration skills in this family ) that would work for a family of two adults, 1 six year old child and an Airedale Terrier. We live in Freeland on the south end of Whidbey Island and would like to find something that would work equally as well for calm days & bays on Puget Sound as well as on a lake. A big motivation is the ability to get out there and explore (we are relatively new to the PNW) with short day trips as well as an occaisional overnight beach camping trip. Oh yes, fins would be great, but not necessary.

We hope to look at a 14' 1957 Bell Boy runabout next week, and will be keeping an eye on Craigs List as well. Any input or suggestions or boat leads that you may have would be greatly appreciated. In terms of all the other necessary items, we're starting from scratch. Trailer, motor, radio, and all the other stuff will need to be acquired either with the boat or along the way. Thanks again for this forum. I have learned so much already just from all your great posts. We look forward to joining the club and boating with you all in the future. Oops, I guess that wasn't so brief

Warm Regards,

Lauryn (wild blue yonder) Chris and Dylan

Welcome to the forum and the club. The older Bell Boy runabouts are a good choice. Another boat to consider would be the Skagit's. Have fun in your search. Hope to meet you all at one of the outings this summer.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Welcome!! I know you'll find that there is no better place for friendly advice than the folks here. We look forward to meeting you and good luck on your boat search!

Comment

Welcome to the club and to the best group of enablers to your new hobby.
        Melanie
        1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Welcome, as a new member and as first time boat owner (for about a week now) I know how intimidating it can be. Look forward to seeing what you find..

Comment

Turn key boat w/clean-up?

Tim Wilson and his wonder dog Jack just listed an interesting Dorsett w/cuddy cabin in the sightings area, which would be nice to get young ones out of the sun and weather. It would be a jaunt of a drive but the price is right. You might be able to contact someone in the group here that is close enough to give you an honest assessment of condition. Good luck with the search.
            1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

1962 17' Dorsett Cabin Cruiser

Thank you! I called and the owner was candid about the condition. Sounds like the trailer and hull are good but the interior needs major clean up or replacement. The motor is also an unknown. Maybe okay with tune up maybe not. Also something about glass work around one of the gas tanks should be redone. Possibly usable as is, but not pretty. Price is right and leaves room to spend some on restoration. Maybe a bit over our heads, maybe not?

Comment

Working...
              X