Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sloughs of the Snohomish/ whale watch ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloughs of the Snohomish/ whale watch ????

What happen ? Did any members go out on Sunday other than GregJ ?? Write up's or any Pictures still to come. Huh ? Am i looking in the wrong place ? It would be nice to see a write up and pictures for some of us members that could not go ??? Thanks,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

I didn't go.
    Greg James

Comment

It was a cloudy, frog song day.

The trip went off as planed there was no question on route or speed or where to stop for lunch. It was a trip of one boat and I had no disagreement with myself on these important decisions.

The day started off cloudy, no rain, somewhat on the cool side but not bad. Went down river on the Snohomish River to Steamboat Sough to Otter Island went 3/4 around Otter and droped anchor for a 1/2 hour lunch. After lunch then went through the uncharted cut to Union Slough to the Hiway 529 bridge and turned around and headed back south to Steamboat Slough then headed to Deadwater Slough (the graveyard of unwanted boats) there half underwater was three sunk hulls of old fish boats and one newer sailboat.

From the graveyard it was a quick trip at 18 knots per hour to the launch ramp. Rebel and I were at the ramp at 1330 hrs. Weather was still cool and it was a very overcast day, but it was a spring day, it was nice enough day to have tree frogs singing and that is good enouth for me. A day on the boat while it is gliding through the water without rain is a good day, nothing could be better.
      1956 Enduracraft Monterey
      1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
      1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell, Thanks for the write up. I would have been there ,but i had the Skagit apart doing some early spring odds & ends and besides my one of my son's had my Ford for the weekend. Did you happen to see the former Argosy M/V Kirkland along the river bank? Chuck

Comment

Kirkland

Chuck, what is the story with the Kirkland? Was it never repaired after the fire? The last time I saw it, a few years ago, it was out of the water in Everett. That may have been before the fire.

Comment

Stan,I don't remember if it was last year or two years ago that we saw it along the river after the fire happen when Argosy decided to not repair it. Chuck

Comment

Yes it's floating.

The old ferry "Kirkland" looks nice. Good crisp green and white paint job, updated for parties. I went by twice and one time someone was on board and waved to me. It looks like the old ship is set up for holding a wedding. White table clothes, flowers, clean windows-- looked real inviting. The tables were set up on the converted car deck that was windowed in. There is no evidence of any fire. Are you sure you are not thinking of "Elusive Dream" a large steel fish boat that caught fire many years ago. It is still floating no windows or any wood, all burned off or melted. It is moored in the same backwater slough marina as the Kirkland. The name on that boat is very fitting.

I heard you should never name your boat with anything suggesting negative or the name and boat will help guide your fate towards what the name suggested.
              1956 Enduracraft Monterey
              1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
              1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

I used to see the Kirkland cruising Lake Washington and thought it was clever to make a tour boat that looked like a small ferry. Then I found out it really was a ferry. It was built in 1924 to carry cars across the Columbia until the bridge to Astoria went in. It served Anderson Island after that. The fire (2010)was in the engine room and destroyed it. I'm glad to see that someone is still taking care of it and not just letting it rot like so many others.

Comment

Lowell, This i would guess is what you saw. That is the M/V Kirkland and the other picture was when it ran on the Columbia river out of Astoria. Chuck
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X