Glasspar Seafair weight ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasspar Seafair weight ??

Has anyone with a Glasspar Seafair series actually weighed their boat without the engine. I have the 1961 Phaeton model and fiberglassics lists it at 780# (the Sedan/cuddy was listed at 875#). I am exploring new trailer options and one dealer thinks the listed weight for the Seafair is significantly understated.

Alternatively, is there an accessible and reliable weight scale in the Poulsbo Silverdale area and I can weigh the Phaeton myself when I am next up there?
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Bruce, I haven't weighed my Seafair, with or without the engine, but I believe the 875 lbs is correct. I think you would be safe assuming a total weight of around 1500 lbs with motor and gear. The Seafair hull was built pretty light.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Bruce, I've got a 67' Glasspar Seafair with an inboard/outboard, so mine is heavier. I puzzled this issue too when I wanted to replace my trailer. Over on the Glasspar site (classicglasspars) I got into a conversation with Glassparman (the administrator) who has like 6 seafairs, plus a del mar, a phaeton, etc, etc. He said that the hull is 800# and the engine/outboard is another 600-700ish. So an 1500# trailer is supposedly fine. I bought a 2000# plus EZ Loader trailer, so that I had a nice margin of error, for gear and junk. Don't twist yourself up in knots about this. Get yourself a 2000# and you will be happy.
      :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Seafair -- Sean

Which model EZ loader did you buy? I am considering the EZW 14-18 2300 that is 90 wide 19'4" long. The other option is the slightly wider and longer EZL90 17-19 2350# that is 92 wide and 21'4". (No worries, I've been married to a lawyer for 40 years, I am very accustomed to being twisted up in knots and she likes classic boats.)
        Bruce H. Drake
        1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bruce, I'll look at the model and/or measure for you tomorrow...

Comment

Okay, I was wrong. The guy I bought the trailer from off craigslist said it was a 2000# trailer. Turns out it is a 3000# trailer. Model: EZ 17-20 Roller. It fits very well. The boat sits low and stable. Sorry...

Comment

Sean's EZ loader- final questions

Sean
              I assume your trailer is a 3100# since current models don't have a 3000 but prior years might have. All current 17-20s are 96" wide, which is more than ample. Unless there was a different prior model, yours is probably one of the following.
              EZ 17-20 is torsion bar 21'4" long and 96" wide.
              EZL96 17-20 is spring axle at 22'4" long and 96" wide.
              Do you happen to know the distance from end of bunks to bow eye with your Glasspar? How much space is there between the front end of the winch stand base plate and the end of the coupler? Thanks again.
              Bruce H. Drake
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Tires

Hey guys,
                I used to sell EZ Loaders and learned they use the same frame with different tires actually changing the rating.A 2600 lb trailer could also double as a 3000.
                You could ( at one time for sure) buy the lesser trailer with "B" load tires,buy 2 "D" tires extra and the price would be cheaper than if you ordered it with the heavier ones,PLUS you now have two spares,though they`d be a little lighter rating wise.The rating sticker can have three listed capacities,and yet you could go up to some extra heavy duty tires like in the "E"or "F" range.
                Once one used tire blows,you`d be best to replace in pairs so the lesser tire is really used as a spare to get you back ,where you`d be able to then solve as budget allows.
                I`d really be looking for a model with the shorter tongue and longer sideframes,which will straddle the boat and keeps the keel below the frame instead of on top.
                Seen a nice C-list boat with a 1999 Caulkins for a mere $1500 with the short tongue as my Seafair once had.......:TwoCents1:
                TimM
                unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 21730
                  Hey guys,
                  I`d really be looking for a model with the shorter tongue and longer sideframes,which will straddle the boat and keeps the keel below the frame instead of on top.
                  Seen a nice C-list boat with a 1999 Caulkins for a mere $1500 with the short tongue as my Seafair once had.......:TwoCents1:
                  TimM
                  I am a strong believer in this practice. I have seen some nasty trailer accidents where the long tongues fatigue and break and send the boat and trailer wildly down the highway...($200k hydroplane did it on I5 just north of LA in 2005) Also the further forward the side rails go the more protection you have for the boat in the case of lane merging / side impacts...

The trailer we custom built last winter has the frame rails curve in ahead of the bow so that it is a physical impossibility for another vehicle to make contact with the boat without crushing the trailer frame first... See thread in boat restoration forum.
                  http://classicboatclub.com/forums/sh...hlight=trailer
                  Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                  1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

long frame option

One option I have for the Glasspar is a 2005 EZL96 that would fit the 17"6" Sunliner model in spite of the trailer being designed for the 19-22 range. The bow winch could be in the frame triangle rather than forward on the tongue ahead of the triangle. The tongue could be shortened or converted into a swing tongue. It would be way overcapacity since the Glasspar is supposed to be around 870# and the trailer is rated at 3100 with 4" frames, spring axle.

With a 96" width the Glasspar would probably sit pretty low with its 84 inch beam and have lots of frame protection. Hence following the advice given in the prior posts. The 10' bunks are also substantial. If there is something I am overlooking in putting a mid-sized boat on a big trailer let me know. I am going to chat with hitchmart here in Portland since they have given good advice/service in the past.

A 96" wide is wider than I would want given how much garage space it fills but is $1000+ cheaper than buying a new 92" wide trailer. If anyone has a practically new 92" wide and needs a bigger like new EZL96 trailer let me know.

(Sean's trailer is 95" wide roller EZ loader at around the same capacity, I don't know what other Glasspar folks are using for trailers.)
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bruce I finished adjusting my trailer today, and it fits so well now, it's really something to see. I can't post a photo, because she's tucked into the carport, but I'll take something as soon as I pull her out and post it here. Maybe you wan't to haunt craigslist and find one of mine, then sell your bigger trailer?

Comment

Working...
                      X