No announcement yet.

electric motors for the classic boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't an electric boat per se, but I intend to use electric power on the stiletto I am slowly reconditioning.

It is intended as a dedicated fishing boat. I will be using outboard power to reach the spot where the fish are and a Minkota to troll once I get there.

I intend to add a solar charging system to the forward deck to keep my battery charged and to extend the time I can use the motor.
    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Fast Electrics

Hey All,
      I always think of Norm Boddy`s stunt on Green Lake in Seattle when he set the World Eletric speed Record back in the day.....72 mph both ways,then got ticketed but had it thrown out when he proved it was with batteries and not a combustion engine.
      He put a 32 volt Diesil starter in place of a 115 Starflite powerhead and plopped a 32 volt battery bank in the lower regions of his 3 pt hydro.....then figured out a rheostat contol of some sort is my guess.Heat is what cooks fast electric model engines so todays computer over hardware controls could make this a reality.
      Big ships almost all use Electric drives and generators to charge the banks and I just was given an article about 22` cruisers now using it to speeds in the teens.Small Biofuel Gens kick on ONLY when banks are drawn down.
      Using battery weight as ballast and with a shaft and prop and main drive motor being all you need( after the huge electroniscs cost of course) there are some real space and comfort gains.
      I have several V-4`s lined up for when it gets cost-effective to pay for a bushing to connect a Golf cart motor or huge Cat starter to a lower unit shaft. Someday........I just heard Norm is getting sicker,hope he is still ok.
      TimM
      unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
      15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
      SeaRay 175BR
      Hi-Laker lapline
      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
      X