boater ed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boater ed

I would like to remind everyone that you might want to go to boat-ed.com and see if you are required to have a Washington State Boater Education Card. Some people are and some aren't. This program is in the process of being fazed in and depending on your age you might be required by law to take the test (it's easy) and get a card. There's different sights that will put you through a small course of study and give you the test. When I took it I was excempt (old, born before 1953) and the sight I found gave the test for free (can't remember the sight, old) so it might be worthwhile to look around at different sights. I learned alot while prepring for the test. You might be surprized how much you don't know. I was.
    Greg James

Here's a few highlights :

If you are stop this year and you are 40 years old or younger and you do not have a card you will be fined $87.00 and that's on any waters in the state.

Next year you have to have a card if you are 50 years old or younger.

The cost $10.00 for taking the course.

Last year when i was stop by the Coast Guard, the first thing they asked me for was my boaters card ( i don't need one as i was born before 1955 but i still have one ) and the second thing was the registration.

Here's some more on this

http://www.parks.wa.gov/boating/boatered/
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks Chuck, for some reason I couldn't find the sight you came up with. I'm sure this will help a lot.
      Greg James

Comment

I got my card quite some time ago.
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I have had to show my card 6 times in two years (apparently having 8 people [with PFDs] in a ski boat is frowned upon)...

I have been pleasure boating my whole life and worked as a boat designer for 16 months prior to taking the test... I failed the first 3 attempts!!! I would strongly suggest taking one of the many training courses offered throughout the year...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Joe, Here's another reason to have it even if you were born before 1955. I got mine in 2008.

Is there any reason to get a Boater Education Card if I am not required? Yes. Many older boaters are still getting cards anyway because they boat in Canada and Oregon. Canada and Oregon do not exempt people born before Jan. 1, 1955

Comment

I got mine in 2008 also but I didn't really intend on getting it at the time. I just started to play around with the study material just to see what was required and I decided to take the test just for the hell of it thinking there was no way I would pass it. To my otter surprize I passed. It was given free at the time and I just figured if I didn't pass I would just take it again. I hate test and I don't usually do well on them mostly because of the anxiety and fear of failure I usually have but the process was actually kind of fun.
              Greg James

Comment

There has been some concern that NWCBC members are required to obtain a Washington State Boaters Education Card by the club. This is NOT a requirement of NWCBC.
                Greg James

Comment

Greg, You are right about it is not a requirement of the Club, but i still would not take any chances getting a $87.00 ticket and you know they will be checking owners at the boat ramps all summer long. Besides the test does give boaters a better knowledge of the rules of the road in our boating world.

Comment

It also gives the members a little bit of a peace of mind knowing that people with you might be a little safer.
                    Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 22026
                      There has been some concern that NWCBC members are required to obtain a Washington State Boaters Education Card by the club. This is NOT a requirement of NWCBC.
                      Ummm ... item # 2 in our safety policy -

2) All members participating in events are required to operate their vessels in compliance with applicable laws, i.e. boater safety card requirements, boating under the influence of drugs/alcohol, specific regulations for the body of water etc.

Of course this doesn't mean that you have to have a card to be a member of the club, although my personal opinion is I'd love to see everyone have one. Basically, this is a phased-in marine driver's license and everyone will have to have one before long anyway.

Tim

Comment

Before long is 2014 for everyone. Remember if a person is 12-40 and you don't have a card this year you get a $87.00 present.

Originally Posted by Tim
                        This is a phased-in marine driver's license and everyone will have to have one before long anyway.

2008 12 years to 20 years old
                        2009 25 years and under
                        2010 30 years and under
                        2011 35 years and under
                        2012 40 years and under
                        2013 50 years and under
                        2014 59 years and under
                        2014 All boat operators except those exempted elsewhere in RCW 79A.60.640

Comment

Quiz me

Would it be legal to put some of the questions and answers on this site? That way we could practice boating safety while were here. . I thought I knew everything until the hat island ferry allmost rammed me. Apperantly the floating thing the sea lions lounge on by the Navy base in Everett is a lane marker of some kind. John

Comment

My gut reaction is that wouldn't be wise, I imagine that it is all copywrited material.

Comment

Working...
                            X