opening day 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opening day 2012

Opening Day of boating season was celebrated on Lake Union this last weekend (NWCBC choose not to participate this year) and we tagged alond with ACBS, they finally decided to allow our rag-tag crew and glassic boat to come along...

Was a lot of fun, usually weather (rain in the morning, then bright sun during the parade which we were not prepared for and all got sunburnt) The theme was "Porthole to Paradise" so we all adorned our tackiest tropical shirts and straw hats. ACBS made up porthole signs in which each boat had to write a quick message of their idea of paradise...

Just a couple photos sniped from the SYC website...

Happy motoring!!!!
    Attached Files
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Brian, No wonder i did not see you being you were with ACBS. Nice day Huh ? Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Yeah it was a lot of fun. We were in class H, with all the steam launches, which was a good group to be in because we went through pretty early, and were able to anchor and watch the rest of the parade after us. I think the steamies were a good example for us, because they all registered as individual boats, but rafted together, and paraded through together. In fact the Parade director stopped traffic in our class to ensure that all the steamies went through together. They even all launched from my favorite launch the 14th Ave NW ramp, which worked well for recovery too because of the way they direct returning traffic through the cut. Next year, I would strongly recomend that we each register individually and copy their idea...

(Too busy to sort and post pictures right away, but I'll get some up soon).
      :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Sean,

Would love to see your pictures, because ACBS is always in S or T class we don't even get to the staging area until the parade is already half over, so there are always a lot of entries we don't get to see.. The "H" class had a lot of entries this year, saw several antique wooden boats and of coarse those obnoxious steam boats:TakePicture1:

I would really like to see NWCBC get back into the parade next year, I will be doing it until they shut it down (kick me and crew out for lude behavior...) just have to figure out how to either participate without costumes or concern for the theme or inspire participants to get into the theme / costume ideas... As a lawyer I would think you might be better at "inspiring" people then I have been in previous yearsDevil19:Scared2:
        Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
        1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I'll get some photos up this weekend. We're already looking forward to it next year. It was great fun to salute the admiral and dress in their cute little outfits. Of course I ditched that as soon as we were through the cut. I'll plan it out a little better next year. I'll invite some of my boating, but not old boat friends, and see if I can get them to tie up at a good spot so we can see the parade after we come out of the cut. We were down at the end, and we tied up to an old piling sticking out of the water, that was a good spot, because it was basically the end of the parade route, so either that or a place on the log boom would be good. I'm pretty sure we saw you go by. If we go in class H, it's early and we can enjoy the parade, but it's no costumes or decorations. Of course I didn't know that, so I was covered in flags...
          :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
          (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
          1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Working...
          X