California Jill needs vacation advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Jill needs vacation advice

Hello to my fellow Northwest Classic Boaters up North. Its been awhile since I've posted here and a few of you may remember me from the GSG board. I didn't see an off topic non-boat related section so hope you don't mind if I post a question here that is sort of boat related.

I'm trying to plan a vacation in August with my family up North somewhere around Seattle or VanCouver but I have no idea where to look and I am open for any suggestions. We have already done the Alaskan Cruise and we love being around the water whether it may be a lake, river or ocean. I thought I saw where there were some 2 and 3 day cruises in the area but am unable to find them for that time of year. Its a beautiful part of the country up there and so much to see and do so my thought was to find a home base and do day trips.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've posted a few pics of my boats for fun too.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Jill S

Hi Jill,
    If you like older boats, I'd suggest a 3-day cruise in the San Juan Islands. Two come to mind. First, Tim Jones has a beautifully restored 31 foot Skagit. He is in Friday Harbor a short flight from Seattle or get a car and drive about 90 miles to Anacortes and take a Washington State Ferry to his location. The other is a cruise on the David B. which is a 65 foot wooden vessel converted from a cannery boat in Alaska. It is in Bellingham, WA. It was built in 1929 and accommodates six people. Here are the links.

northwestnavigation.com/

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Another option

Jill : Are you bringing a boat or flying up to Seattle ? If you want a nice stay in the islands . Get to Orcas Island and TRY to rent a cabin on West beach Resort . You can catch the ferry in Anacortes Wa. and then on a day excursion you can walk on the ferry and go to San Juan Island and get a day cruise from Tim on his 1 of a kind Skagit . West Beach is a one of a kind resort never to be forgot. Lot of us North Sounders will be in touch if you make it up here !

Here's a link to West Beach - better hurry they fill up fast with people that book year after year !! Good Luck and post your plans !

http://www.westbeachresort.com/beach.html
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

On Orcas Island, Cherie Lindholm has a number of rental houses, many of them waterfront. Right now I'm looking out the window of a beachfront cabin at Guemes Island Resort. There isn't much to do on the island, but it's a great springboard to the rest of the San Juans. They have their own launch ramp and several bouys to tie up to. The really nice thing about this island is that if you don't make it on the ferry, there will be another one in less than an hour. It cost me $29.50 to take my boat on the ferry, not $200 that WSF charges for the other islands.
        http://www.orcashomes.com/vacationrentals/
        http://www.guemesislandresort.com/
        Attached Files

Comment

Ahoy Jill,
          We are near Sea-Tac and could offer a Latte and a ride if flying in and don`t want the usual Taxi ride.
          Had to sell Twinkie`s Cousin ,The Miss BeeHaven ,so that ride can`t happen,sorry.....
          Still hoarding a Yellow /Black seat for you,free if you want it.
          I`d recommend the Kenmore Air excursion to the San Juans with the
          31` Saratogan being the way to see the islands up close.
          Be warned on our state`s new user fee program in some state parks.....
          They seek $ just to park and walk around.
          Some of the smaller Bed + Breakfast places could still be available,lots of people are doing day trips these days so you never know.....some are even in-city.
          Do enjoy our cool nights when here,won`t be 100 like back in Ca.
          TimM
          Lake Burien/Seahurst
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Oh boy!!! All excellent suggestions. I've already done a little research after seeing Lootas1's post so I'll get more Internet info after work. We will be flying in and I'm sure my dad will love the idea. He thought the Grand Canyon would be fun but I thought no way for me....August is not a good time of year if you don't care for the heat.

It will be around the 1st or 3rd weekend of August for 7 to 8 days and I'll be sure to let ya'll know cause if avaiable I'd love to take a day for myself to meet up with some of you folks.

We will be flying in and yes Tim I am very interested in that seat and would be oh so happy to tip you at least for parts. Sorry to hear you had to let the Sedan go.

oh how funny....I just saw this icon oh my gosh!!!! .....oh no!!! and the can of worms too?? What a crack up.

Thanks again but others are welcome to chime in too until a decision has been made.

Jill
            Jill S

Comment

Hi Jill ! Nice hearing from you. Take a look at Lopes Island as well , but there is only one thing negative and that is you have to swim to get there. Just kidding. Let us know your final plans and maybe we can meet up with you in the Islands. Your fellow GSG member,Chuck

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/the-isl...nds-photo-tour

https://www.google.com/search?source...llll0&aqi=s912

https://www.google.com/search?source...0&aqi=g4&pbx=1
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Jill, If your schedule permits come to the Laconner Classic car and boat show on the 11th of Aug. Would be a great time to meet many NWCBC members as some of our boats will be at the show. I am sure we can get you some rides in our classics. How many will be in your group? Clint
                Attached Files

Comment

Vacation Heaven

Three words: San Juan Islands Trust me, I've lived here for 38 years!
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Most definately the San Juan Islands are in the plan. My dad and sister are excited as well as I. We just have to put it togetheir.....date....which island.... and what would be on the schedule. We should be there for a week.

Too too bad Clint...thanks for the 11th suggestion but I work that weekend and would not want to use up all my vacation time but I do hope to meet up with some of my Northern cousins.

More to come when I get a chance to start planning this Thursday.

Thanks
                    Jill S

Comment

Jill, A visit to Seattle's Pike Place Market is good for tourists. Dinner or lunch at the Space Needle restaurant is a very memorable experience, as the dining floor revolves so you get 360 views of everywhere. Not cheap, but not really expensive, and the food is very good (it used to be just passable). I always take out-of-towners there, and they always seem to love it and talk about it for a long time. A cruise on Lake Union in Seattle, to see the houseboats, old boats, float planes taking off and landing over your head, and a cheap lunch of fish & chips at Ivars on Lake Union is a great Seattle experience. Our Aquarium is a world class attraction and worth seeing. A nice Seattle day is to start at the aquarium in the morning, walk uphill to Pike Place for lunch and the original Starbucks, walk to the monorail at Westlake, take the monorail to Seattle Center, see EMP (Experience Music Project (Paul Allen’s museum of (principally rock) music), or the new Chilluliy Glass Museum, you can even pick up on of the Ducks tours at the bottom of the Space Needle, which will get you your cruise on Lake Union, then dinner at the Space Needle.
                      :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Well, if you have your passport, Port Angeles and Victoria Canada with the gardens are also worth seeing too.

You would want to do Friday Harbor where the Mother of All Skagits is docked.
                        Tim Jones also does tours with his Skagit. One of only three ever built.

Lots to choose from for sure, take your pick :TwoCents1:

(Make sure you click on the "more" icon below the smiles as there are more ) :BigHappy1:
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Looks like we'll be looking to stay somewhere on San Juan Island near Friday Harbor hopefully to be close to the town of Friday Harbor in case my dad gets bored after we've been running around all day. Can you believe my dad mentioned "looks like there is not much to do there in the San Juan's" I about blew a head gasket at his lack of creativity...but..I give him a break cause he is after all 79.

Yes we have passports and plenty of dad's money to spend. Would like to hit Canadian tourist spots. Seattle and its highlights are definately in the plan cause my sister has a friend she wants to meet up with. Sean, thanks for the tourist info. I most definately want to take a tour with Tim in the really big Skagit and a whale watch ride too.

After all this is done I would like to plan a slower paced vacation in the same area cause I know I'll want to come back.
                          Jill S

Comment

Butchart Gardens in Vancouver!
                            17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
                            18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
                            19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
                            25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
                            14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
                            14' Stilleto

Comment

Did they go and move Butchart Gardens? It used to be up the road from Victoria on Vancouver Island. Still, very worth seeing.
                              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                              X