Vessel assist --caution on coverage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vessel assist --caution on coverage

I happened to be at West Marine today and the vessel assist person was there. So I checked on my coverage expiration date and paid for a renewal ahead of time. In the process I found out to my surprise that my unlimited coverage was for fresh water unlimited and did not cover salt water. This applies to both the boat and the extra trailer coverage I added. I don't know that one got past me but suspect there might be others who think unlimited means fresh and salt water.
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Chincy. On most lakes around here you are not far from another boat or the shore. The sound is another story and they should really spell that out.
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Bruce, Thank you for the warning. I assumed that unlimited means unlimited. I'll have to check with them soon.
      Greg James

Comment

They take liberties with the word "unlimited". My unlimited coverage paid for 50% of my tow last summer. At least it was good for salt water.

Comment

Guess I'd better take a look at my policy. Haven't had Rosario in fresh water since we bought her in 2009 and doesn't seem likely she will ever see fresh water while I own her. The only time I've ever called upon Vessel Assist for a tow, the good old Coast Guard came to my rescue. My cell battery had died so, when I got safely home, there was a message on my answering machine from Vessel Assist asking if I still needed their help. Maybe I'll just scratch the towing insurance. We have friends with boats that would come out to help or Becky should be able to paddle a little Skagit home from anywhere in the San Juans!
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

other options

I use a 4 hp motor I can just put on the transom it would be slow but I would get home.

I have regular boat insurance through Safco and it will cover the first 500 dollars for a tow to the nearest place repairs can be made during regular business hours, mechanical labor at the place of the breakdown,and delivery of fuel or a battery.

It could be myth as I've never tried to use it.

I haven't used the little 4 hp insurance either, but it was close a couple of times when there was trouble with the main motor with a failed fuel pump, and then a broken reed.
            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell, post: 22436
              I use a 4 hp motor I can just put on the transom it would be slow but I would get home.

I have regular boat insurance through Safco and it will cover the first 500 dollars for a tow to the nearest place repairs can be made during regular business hours, mechanical labor at the place of the breakdown,and delivery of fuel or a battery.

It could be myth as I've never tried to use it.

I haven't used the little 4 hp insurance either, but it was close a couple of times when there was trouble with the main motor with a failed fuel pump, and then a broken reed.
              Lowell,
              I also have a kicker motor (8hp) that I use out on the sound. I have had occaision to use it several times when I had my Evinrude 35 for main power. Fuel pump and electrical problems. Once it got us back to Whidbey from Edmonds on a fishing excursion. The wind had kicked up and we were going against the tide. Slow but it got us back home. I'm sure glad I had it.
              Kent & Diane
              '58 Westerner

Comment

Backup

That's why I carry a back up, whether the 9.9 Honda or a partner boat. I still remember Chuck C waiting for vessel assist, fortunately for he an Sheila, it was a calm day...
                ChuckB
                "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Working...
                X