Jerry's Outboard Repair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry's Outboard Repair?

Maybe I'm premature in having a sign painted saying "Jerry's Outboard Repair Shop" but I think I have a satisfactory fix on my fast idle problem. I decided to follow Tim Mattson's advice on doing a compression check. I got the motor fired up and warmed up and went to get my compression tester. Couldn't find it and remembered I had given it to my mechanic son in Oregon saying I wasn't going to mess around with car repairs anymore.
    But I pulled the plugs and they were dry and a very nice healthy brown color. Then I started looking at the cable to the fast idle and saw that there was a lot of threat left on the knurled adjustment rod. I unclamped it and pushed it back in place and went to the control box. This time when I moved the fast idle lever, things actually moved a bit on the motor. So, I fired up the hose and started the motor. Now it was idling at a speed I think sounds about right. So, I pushed the lever up and the idle increased noticeably. Now came the real test, when I locked it back down and put the motor in gear, it went in smoothly. I took it out of gear and pushed the fast idle lever up again and the motor speed increased. Okay, it hasn't faced sea trials but it sure looks like it is moving in the right direction. Wish me luck!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Sync + Link

Jerry,
    Way to go ,glad you got bold and lifted the cover.
    Two tests for full control action would be to look for the low idle stop(which is actually setting the timing at idle) to be touched when throttle returned to low,and also to look for contact with the WOT or wide open Throttle position screw.
    The Timing plate spins around the flywheel base and can stick,sorta why warming up can solve issues as the plate will slide easier once grease has loosened up from heat.
    The carbs have a little line you want to point at the roller wheel when fast idle lever is lifted.This is the "Start" Position.
    The roller should have a small gap when at lowest idle setting or carbs will act too fast,gagging the motor.
    Carbs have a small visible roll pin that rotates on a shaft as you open carb.Should go Horizontal when pushing Throttle to WOT so top end will be reached.Or look inside for butterfly to be flat,then closed fully for idle.
    Dealers will test timing with test wheel and run WOT to see what Timing number it reaches.....go too far and you burn the engine up,too little and you don`t get 50 hp.If Max RPM is at 5k(read max rpm on engine ID plate or by book) you should be ok.
    Note that setting throttle can mean need to re-set Carbs so Sync + Link is right.Google that procedure and read up if you have some time.....
    Also sent you a Trim unit ad for sale locally here.....like you need more to buy and do.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Working...
    X