Christening and Baptism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christening and Baptism

May 19th, My daughter and youngest son came up to the island and we had a formal christening of the Saratogan Sweet Zoanna, Zoanna officiating.

Saturday, June 23, I decided to take the Saratogan to Lake Union for my niece's wedding on the M/V Skansonia. I got away from the dock in Friday Harbor at one and headed across the strait. Juan De Fuca was relatively calm but trouble was brewing ahead in Admiralty Inlet. North end of Marrowstone Island the black clouds overhead dumped buckets of rain the entire length of Marrowstone. You don't see rain like that in Washington state very often. I was drenched. But things would get worse.

I passed Point No Point and looking ahead could see white caps a mile south. I looked at them through the binoculars, and they didn't look too bad. Got through the white caps okay, but then all hell broke lose. I ran into compressed tide rips that were six, eight, ten feet high and only 40 feet or so between crests.

Slowed to about 16 knots and bashed into the first one. Big spray off the bow came over the windshield, then another and another. Dropped down to 14 knots and the old girl was really get slammed. There was no place to go and I couldn't turn around. I though, I could lose the boat in this sea! This isn't supposed to be happening to my beautiful restoration project!

I could hear the buzz of the propellers grabbing air as the boat went up and almost airborne, and then bashed into the bottom of the next wave. I've always liked heavy boats, and here was my proof. I was afraid to slow down below 12 knots for fear of losing the hull's dynamic stability. The companionway hatch ripped off and crashed onto the cockpit deck and the GPS got up-ended. So much water was coming over the windshield, in looked like a falls pouring down into the companionway. I had all the bilge pumps running.

Wipers were on but I couldn't see much due to the spray. Wind was 25 knots out of the south. My Skagit pennant was getting shredded. The ensign on the aft flag staff was about to be pulled out by the roots. This went on for about four miles. The only place to get out of it was Kingston. A mile from Kingston the seas let up, or dropped to three to four feet which seemed calm by comparison.

I was never so glad to pull into a port! I was soaked through to my underwear. Yes, I was wearing a life jacket. Took three hours to rinse the boat down and clean up the mess inside. Only damage is a shredded pennant and a little moisture in one of the voltmeters in the panel (so far). Had a beer and made some dinner and was thankful I had a stout boat. Never did bury the bow, at least I don't think I did, because I couldn't actually see the bow very often.

Next morning headed for Lake Union and the weather was great. Felt as if nothing unusual had happened the day before. Had a great time at the wedding on the Skansonia and was lucky that Waterfront Construction, who owns the dock there, let me moor right along side the Skansonia.

Have some great pics of the wedding party and the brides maids aboard in their teal dresses that matched the boat's color exactly (Zoanna being one). I'll post some pictures later....but not of the heavy weather.

Yes, I still like heavy boats.....they can take it when the going gets tough! Looking at the boat today, you'd never know what had happened.....

See you all in LaConner.

Cheers,

McSkagit
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Gee, Tim, you couldn't turn loose the wheel to take pictures of the worst of the weather? That is some story. You should send it to ThreeSheets as a warning to people such as myself who fool hardedly think the inland waters are safe in much smaller boats. It is hard to imagine Zoanna out there taking a beating like that! Glad to hear you survived with little damage and, I presume, clean shorts!
    Jerry:shocked2:
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Tim, I found myself in a situation much like that several years ago and that is why I am so addement about watching the weather and having the right equipment. I think if my boat wasn't as heavy as it is it would have sunk. I hope I never have to go through that again. Glad your o.k..
      Greg James

Comment

Yeah well, that just about does it for me and Big Water.
        I will stay on the Columbia and small lakes...
        That just gave me the pucker factor...

Glad and I mean Real glad you can tell the story Tim...opcorn1:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim.

I had been planning to launch at the Eglon ramp once we are settled in Kingston. That sounds like about where you hit the bad water. :shocked4:

We were unloading three truckloads of my shop equipment at the new house when that angry little storm hit. We got wet too.

Now I think I will launch in Kingston and venture out of Apple Tree Cove if the weather permits.
          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

I'm glad that Sweet Zoanna came through unscathed, but more importantly, that you did.

Thanks for posting this Tim, it's a good cautionary tale for a lot of folks who will read this in the future.

Tim

Comment

Wow! Just wow! Glad everything is ok...
              :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
              (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
              1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Yes, right off Eglon.

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 22570
                Thanks for the info Tim.

I had been planning to launch at the Eglon ramp once we are settled in Kingston. That sounds like about where you hit the bad water. :shocked4:

We were unloading three truckloads of my shop equipment at the new house when that angry little storm hit. We got wet too.

Now I think I will launch in Kingston and venture out of Apple Tree Cove if the weather permits.
                Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Boy you do have stories to share. I remember asking you about the Glasply you had ( and the one i sold ) how it took big water and you sent a couple of pictures.

Being a Tugboat captains son i always respect the seas! And i know you do also glad you are safe and so is your fine vessel.

[ATTACH]12980.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12981.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]12982.vB[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files
                  John & Diane Kelly

Comment

And to think I take a little 16 footer off Pt.No Pt alot during the summer. My contingency plan is to just run it up on the beach.
                    Kent & Diane
                    '58 Westerner

Comment

The expierience that Tim Jones wrote about is not uncommon on Pugrt Sound. That sort of thing can crop up very suddenly with very little notice. It happened to me awhile back just before I started across Port Gardner heading towards the Everett launch. I won't get into specifics but I will say that I was seriously concidering putting the boat into the rip rap along the railroad tracks because it became apparent that I might not make it to Everett. I was real close to panic mode and that was the most freightening thing that has ever happened to me. Ever since then I have been extremely careful about when I go out. You never know what kind of a situation you might end up in so I always expect the worst and before I go out on the water I try to be as ready for anything as I can. A little precaution might end up saving your life.
                      Greg James

Comment

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse for you Tim. Great thread to make us all think more about safety.

If your not comfortable cruising Puget Sound, consider taking the Power Squadron boating course. I took the course back in the late 80's, it's worth every penny.
                        Steve Kiesel
                        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Kent,
                          That sounds like a damn fine plan to me . :Runaway1:

Greg,
                          Even on a bright sunny day strange things can happen, One of my nieces was sailing a Hobie cat on the sound, and a little black cloud came by and ruined her day. Luckily she was a good sailor, was prepared, and was near someone who rescued her. The Hobie did not fare as well and was replaced. They are pretty sound boats but hers was destroyed. The last she saw of it it was mastless, broken, and tumbling across the waves like a hamburger wrapper in a parking lot.
                          Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                          Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Been there Tim

Tim, you ever here of the three sisters? Three large wave, that come out of no where, pick you up, smash you down.

I have met them twice in my life, and was sure I was going to die. Last time was off cattle point. Picked me up and dropped me like a tinker toy, buried the bow, up the other side, dropped again 3 times, crash!

Yes thank god for heavy boats. At 9 tons, 36', 12' beam with 6' of feet of freeboard, that was a lot of water.

Didn't poo myself, but came close.

Glad you made it Tim..........Steve

Comment

Jack, yes, beaching a boat in foul weather is something to keep in the back of your mind, that and a sea anchor. At one of the boatclub meetings Marty set up some years ago, Art Nordvedt (of BellBoy -Uniflite fame) told of a guy that made it from Seattle to Alaska in a 16 ft BellBoy by beaching it whenever it got too rough. He didn't however, mention if he made it back. I didn't ask.

Steve (Storerbro36), I saw three massive waves like you mentioned happen at Fort Casey Whidbey Island while fishing the beach. They came out of nowhere one November not 1/4 mile away from me. I ran to the R/V to get Diane so she could see them. It looked like ANY boat would have been swamped, couldn't imagine anything that could have gotten through them.They all crested, and the center one looked to be a 25 footer at least, although I can't be sure of that of course. Caused by wind and tidal action I understand. Fortunatey for everyone there were no boats around.
                              Haven't heard of the "three sisters" before but it sure makes sense when I think of it now. Evidently they must happen more than we realize. You're lucky to be here to talk about them having gone through them before.
                              Kent & Diane
                              '58 Westerner

Comment

Working...
                              X