Tires?....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires?....

So I have some questions about trailer tires for the collective wisdom.

Two Things:
    First, I'm looking for a spare rim (& tire) for my E-Z loader trailer. What I need is a 14" x 6", five lug bolt pattern, galvanized rim. I currently have P205/70R14 tires on my trailer now, so if it has a decent tire on it that's great, but what I really need is the rim. If it is rusty, I could deal with that, if it is solid, sound, and cheap, because I can get it regalvanized in Ballard. So if anybody has one laying around that you want to unload let me know.

Second, my education conundrum. I've got a 92' Galvanized E-Z loader trailer, rated for 3000#, pulling my roughly 2000# 67' Glasspar Seafair Sedan. Currently I have 14" Guardsman Plus P205/70R14 tires on my trailer; basically brand new. Evidently these are Sears brand entry level car tires. Reading West Marine's catalog (p. 733) on Trailer Tire basics (link below), suggests that trailer tires should be rated with the designation "ST", for "Special Trailer", and that using regular car tires risks blow outs, and other horrible boat trailer disasters. I'm not sure I buy into this. But on the other hand, it would really suck to have a blow out at 70 mph, going over Snoqualamie pass to E. Washington...

Thoughts? What do others have on their trailers? Do I really need to spring for ST tires? And if so, is there a brand recomendation? I appreciate the input.

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebPr...&pagelabel=733
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Sean, Go to Les Schwab for a set of "ST Trailer Tires" At the moment i can't remember why a boat trailer needs them, but it made sense what they told me at the time.Call and ask if your 14" Guardsman Plus are safe and why people should have "ST's ". Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

The biggest concern is the load rating. You can actually get better tires for a light truck with stiffer sidewalls and more tread plies but because they're a truck tire they often have aggressive tread patterns that tend to throw rocks and debris up on the boat... "Special Trailer" tires are heavy rated with very minimal tread so they don't kick up debris as badly, mostly designed to prevent hydoplaning in big puddles...

I bought a really nice set of Ford alloys that have almost new load range C (1750 lbs each) tires already mounted and balanced.. They look awesome but are a little under rated for my 4000+ lb package. But they have made through eastern Washington summer heat for two years now without catastrophe (knocking on every piece of wood in site) I am currently looking into upgrading to a slightly taller wheel (ground clearance and reduced bearing speed) and I am finding there to be far better options if I stick with a truck tire instead of getting an official "trailer" tire...

Just one young kids two cents..
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Sean,
        Glenn Wooldridge used to work at a Goodyear tire store before he took over the helm of the local boat factory,he always touted the EZLoader as being better towing with what are usually LT tires but one size bigger than other brands with actual Trailer tires,usully the lesser size 12 + 13`s.
        He swore by EZ Loader`s method of one size bigger and thus having more stability and bump absorbtion.And easier /cheaper to match later as you can go to nearly any tire store.
        Now if trailering to AK or Gold River on Vancouver Is.and doing winding gravelly roads AND you had 12 or 13`s then I`d go get C or D load trailer tires as they will have up to 8 or 10 plys on the sidewalls.
        Your Boat is pretty light and your tire size is adequate.
        I`d get a similar spare for the 14`` 205,then replace after it is used to get home or finish a trip,then buy tires in pairs.
        Afte hitting a Dec pothole on the way to Ivar`s my caulkins tire blew out on my fateful day with my Seafair.......wasn`t 3 blocks from home when the rim took a blow which blew the bead a mile or so down the highway.
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

ST tires have more UV protectant in the rubber because they sit for longer periods of time. Car tires are moving and flexing the rubber releasing the protectants at a more constant rate. That's why trailer tires should be replaced every 7 or so years no matter how many miles. In over 40 years of pulling trailers I've learned the hard way that this is a pretty hard and fast rule. On the other hand, if you are going to drag the boat a couple of miles to the launch, it doesn't really matter what kind of tire you use as long as the weight rating is within reason. Just my 3 cents.
          1959 Skagit 20 Offshore inboard

Mike and Judy Kronick

Comment

For me it depends on how far and how often I haul long distances. I drive on a lot of gravel roads here and I haul my boat around a lot so I use car tires because they don't wear out as quick. If I was hauling short distances to the launch and back I would use whichever was cheaper. If I was hauling long distance less often on asphalt then I would use Trailer tires.

Comment

Boat trailer tires

Originally posted by Seanfromseattle, post: 22580
              So I have some questions about trailer tires for the collective wisdom.

Two Things:
              First, I'm looking for a spare rim (& tire) for my E-Z loader trailer. What I need is a 14" x 6", five lug bolt pattern, galvanized rim. I currently have P205/70R14 tires on my trailer now, so if it has a decent tire on it that's great, but what I really need is the rim. If it is rusty, I could deal with that, if it is solid, sound, and cheap, because I can get it regalvanized in Ballard. So if anybody has one laying around that you want to unload let me know.

Second, my education conundrum. I've got a 92' Galvanized E-Z loader trailer, rated for 3000#, pulling my roughly 2000# 67' Glasspar Seafair Sedan. Currently I have 14" Guardsman Plus P205/70R14 tires on my trailer; basically brand new. Evidently these are Sears brand entry level car tires. Reading West Marine's catalog (p. 733) on Trailer Tire basics (link below), suggests that trailer tires should be rated with the designation "ST", for "Special Trailer", and that using regular car tires risks blow outs, and other horrible boat trailer disasters. I'm not sure I buy into this. But on the other hand, it would really suck to have a blow out at 70 mph, going over Snoqualamie pass to E. Washington...

Thoughts? What do others have on their trailers? Do I really need to spring for ST tires? And if so, is there a brand recomendation? I appreciate the input.

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebPr...&pagelabel=733
              Looks like all the opinions R in on the tires
              The ST has a stiffer and heaverier Side wall . Boats trailer suspension are stiff and thus the tires take a hit , the car tires with a softer side wall will flex more and create hot spots on the side all . Hot , Dry , Summer roads are waiting for U that have Car tires to have a blow out . Its your call , All my boat trailers are
              set up with ST's . All of us should have a bottle jack, 4 way lug wrench. A couple of 2X4 6-8 inches long . And stop by your auto parts store a get a couple of extra lug nuts . Always keep the tire
              pressure to the Max printed on the tire .
              Must important before U leave home check to see if a lug nut is loose, check tire pressure, and a squirt of axel grease helps to keep those bearings happy

Ingvar The Swedster
              Ingvar (Swedster) Carlson

Comment

Working...
              X