Dorsett, Help identify

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorsett, Help identify

I recently aquired an old Dorsett that needs alot of work, but my main issue right now is being able to identify the boat. The Dorsett appears to be pre 1963 as it has the barrel back and the sweeping lines down to the aft, it looks like a San Juan but next to the Dorsett emblem is a emblem that says it is a Rogue, unfortunetly i have been unable to find anything that says that Dorsett ever produced a rogue, besides the Dorsett emblem and the Rogue emblem there is a metal "seal" that says United State Submarine Service. A few of the problem with the boat are that transom is about shot the stringers are pretty much gone plus no outboard, steering system or anthing else the good thing is that the upper windscreen is still there and move with minimal effort, and the light rod is still there, but she deffinitly needs alot of work

A member on yahoo groups classicdorsettboats, claims this boat to most likely be a 1962 Dorsett Catalina due to the fact that it has a forward cabin windshield overhang. Does anybody dispute this or is that what the consences is.
    Did the Catalina's have the bow safety rail on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintry, post: 22750
      A member on yahoo groups classicdorsettboats, claims this boat to most likely be a 1962 Dorsett Catalina due to the fact that it has a forward cabin windshield overhang. Does anybody dispute this or is that what the consences is.
      Did the Catalina's have the bow safety rail on them.
      No on the bow rail, those were all accessories as I remember. Could be wrong...

Its looking like a 62 Catalina to me. Might be a San Juan but thinking its a Catalina.

The one I have to restore is a 61.

Not sure what Ricks are but Rick has a some of these too.
      Attached Files
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

what other kinda accessories could be added at factory, and would adding accessories give the boat a sub-class ie. the Rogue identification that is currently on mine on both sides above the dorsett emblem

Comment

Originally posted by Mcintry, post: 22757
          what other kinda accessories could be added at factory, and would adding accessories give the boat a sub-class ie. the Rogue identification that is currently on mine on both sides above the dorsett emblem
          I myself can't answer your question but the Rogue thing, never heard that before..
          Same guy that designed the Studebaker Avanta, designed the Dorsett Catalina.

Wish I new more about the history of the boat myself.
          The one thing I do know, it will ride better in this rough chop than any of my Skagits, Uniflite or Bell Boy will.
          :BigWink1:

Might check over at Fiberglassics.com to see what they have on the Dorsett Boats. Used to have a bunch of brochures that were donated to them from people over the years too.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Not sure on the year

I have a thread on the "Restoration" section , scroll down till you see the 1962 Dorsett thread. There is alot of pictures of my 1962 San Juan . Is you boat 19' or 17' long ? If it's 19' it's a San Juan and 17' is a Catalina . Dorsett took a couple design changes along the way in 1958 they hires "Raymond Loewy " Like Helmar say's he did the Studebaker Avanti, Lucky Strike Log and Shell Oil logo just to mention a few. he designed the 1959 which took on that split fold down table in the cockpit then in 1964 they changed the hull to a " Dyna Plane hull " Lost the barrel back and had straighter lines on the cabin. I had a 1964 Catalina and I think the Dyna Plane hull goes through the water better than the older hulls but I think the older boats looked cooler. My best GUESS is it's a 1958 but I would not put money on it. Never seen Rogue of the Sub patch.
            Mine is a 1962 factory inboard and I also put in a picture of my 1964 Catalina , Welcome to the club and the Dorsett family !
            Attached Files
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

how do you measure straight down the middle or along the hull,

Comment

Did the windshield overhang come on another boats maybe as an extra in previous years because that is main reason that the other person believed it to be a 62 because of that overhang. but the size of the door being so large and all other of the catalina and san juans are small or as the catalina has the drop down table and mine does not have any enimities such as sink or ........... just the sitting area all though on the lift access one says tools and one says vests dont know if they all did

its too late to go out and measure now as it is dark is there any other identifing factors that could possibly tell me year make and model of this boat

Comment

Best guess

Taking a better look at your cabin - I would say it's a Catalina - There is no sink Cabinet or Head . Mast looks like a Catalina the San Juans and Farillons had a heavy duty Aluminum Mast - You can just measure from the bow and along the cabin to the stern. It's not exact but you can tell if it 17 or 19 long . Catalinas are nice boats - My wife still says she likes the Catalina the best . I did a modification on mine to install a porta potty so there was a place to sit down - she did not buy into the bucket program
                  Attached Files
                  Rick & Sarah

Comment

i like your modified portapotty idea and am looking for a portapottie to do a similar job to mine

Comment

what is that blue and gray thing that is in your first picture up close to the bow line

Comment

Dri Z air

Originally posted by Mcintry, post: 22768
                        what is that blue and gray thing that is in your first picture up close to the bow line
                        That is a " Dri Z Air " When I tore into the bow it smelled musty so I just put that in there to dry the air and kill some of the smell - That overhang on your cabin on the boat has me stumped- I have not seen that before. Hangs over the front window on the cabin. That does not show up on any of the catalog pictures I have seen ???
                        Rick & Sarah

Comment

this was on the dorsett yahoo group and this is why someone thought it was a 62

Comment

I measured the boat and it is 17' or there about so it is a Catalina, since i figured out what it was it was time to track down the year, I spent the last hour going over old boat ads on fiberglassic and do believe i have figured out the year and at least maybe some of the options that it had on it, I believe it to be a 1962 Catalina as the 1962 appears to be the first year with the overhang and in 62 they had a dutch door which was a large door that the top half dropped down towards the inner cabin into a table, which would account for the large door opening. it also appears it had the optional gas tank. as with the boat i recieved a metal gas tank and there is a hole in the port side that appears to have had at least at one time a filler spot.

Comment

Cool! I remember having a good time figuring out my 404. Fiberglassics was a great resource.
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                              X