Rip........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip........

Just saw in the newspaper and on TV this a.m. that JP Patches has past a way. Here's some pictures when he was with us on opening day parade in 2008. I will always remember that day as we past along the " Log Boom " as it was like the wave as boaters started chanting "JP" ! ... "JP" ! when they saw him.

http://www.king5.com/
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Godspeed JP

JP had a way that would bring a smile and always could ad-lib converation to fit every age groupn the room while still being funny.
    He`s done more for kid`s around the NW than most every other entertainer and has given more than he ever asked for ,especially when you consider the make-up probably is what led to his cancer.
    Talking to the Artist who was supposed to do the Fremont Art project ,Mark Jeffries (who owns a classic Mahogeny Reinel from the 50`s),
    I found out Mr Jeffires now has a Blood disorder too and has been getting a 1/2 dose of chemo himself of late.
    Mention JP`s name in the NW and you`ll get 9/10 people recite a story that will bring a smile.The other one would be too young is usually the case.........or just moved here.
    Following Chuck`s smoking Mercury that day with JP waving to the crowd,I heard the phrase ,"there`s JP,WOW,I remember when JP .........".We never got to hear the end as we were in the Cut and moving towards judging area......but you coul tell it meant something.
    Glad we were a small part of his story.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

A "Good" man

News of Julius Pierpont Patches passing brought a little tear to my eye.

I am actually so old I stopped watching "children's" TV before he came to town. I was twelve after all, and had discovered GIRLS. :shocked4:

Kathie used to watch him on WTCN - TV (channel 11)in Minneapolis, Minnesota; before he moved here, and was very excited to meet him when he was with us on Opening Day.

He will be greatly missed by every one in our family. I am looking forward to the retrospectives that will soon air on all the local channels.
      Attached Files
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Rip jp

I remember watching JP on our black and white tv, in the 60's.

He never called out my birthday, when he used the "I see you too" tv set.

Turns out my parents were too cheap to call Seattle from Bellingham.

RIP JP

Comment

Thanks for the photos Chuck, that was a great day for all of us. JP was a special Icon for the Northwest to be sure. Diane has a small statue and a picture of him on display permanently in our house. We both watched him on TV with our kids for years. He was still witty and fun even at our boatclub event and we will greatly miss him.

Tim, thanks again for the idea of having JP join us that day and thanks to all who helped with that effort. We think that event was the highlight of our boatclub adventures. The response from the Seattle onlooking crowd was awesome and I'll never forget it.
          Kent & Diane
          '58 Westerner

Comment

Originally posted by Sammamish1, post: 22963
            I am actually so old I stopped watching "children's" TV before he came to town. I was twelve after all, and had discovered GIRLS.
            I was 7 and hooked from the start. It probably wasn't the very first show, but the first one I saw, when it came time to sign off he got out some "inwisible paint" and made himself inwisible. You could still hear him, but you couldn't see him. It really was black paint on a sheet of glass or plastic between himself and the camera. I knew that, but it was the funiest thing I had ever seen in my seven long years. A Patches Pal was born.

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 22969
              I remember watching JP on our black and white tv, in the 60's.

He never called out my birthday, when he used the "I see you too" tv set.

Turns out my parents were too cheap to call Seattle from Bellingham.

RIP JP
              You had a PHONE? lucky dog.

Comment

Talk about lucky dogs, you had a TV in the 60s?
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                X