• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you guy are so nice

out of this site forever

WHAT!? O.K. whatever.
    Greg James

Comment

Bill, 99% of the members don't even know who you are and the fact you rebuilt a Dorsett San Juan ( I just about got that boat ) in the past that was one very nice Dorsett. It's has not even been 24 hours since you did your original posting at 9:21pm last night. For the record you did do a very nice restore job on your latest boat. I'am sure the next Dorsett San Juan II will be as nice if not better than the last one. Chuck
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I think we were just insulted.:HandHorn1:
        Jack Leslie
        1948 Sande launch
        1962 Stiletto

Comment

Bill, Sorry you feel the way you do. I have seen some of your work and you may be the most talented boat restorer I know of. The Dorsett you sold to Bill R was almost too beautiful to use. This group is not perfect and we may be slow to reply as we are busy with our lives. The internet is not a perfect way to communicate so use it with a little patience and enjoy your life and your boat hobby. Clint

Comment

So much fun!

I agree with the Bill T. (before he changed his post.) I think he should change his mind again. I didn't understand his first post either.

I have been in this hobby about a week. In that time I now have two boats and been offered a third one for free.

The first boat came with a trailer that had no vin number. It also came with a 55 Evinrude and a "22 Evinrude" which turned out to be an 18 hp Evinrude in virtually unused condition.

That engine would be just about right for a 14 Skagit. So I looked around and found a 14' Ski Master with a trailer (with a vin number!) These two I got for a working welder. I just happened to have an older MILLER buzz box which the guy accepted in trade for this 14 and a trailer which needed some work. Well the work needed was to weld the bumper back to the frame. No problem, but I no longer have a welder.

So I thought I would see if anybody had a trailer for sale. Somebody did offer me one for free, but it came with a 14 Skagit that needed some work and had no motor.
            This was all very nice and generous.

I would then have been in the used boat business for a little over a week, having almost aquired three boats and trailers, most needing work.

This is a wonderful hobby with a lot of nice folks and I have never had more fun in my life!

I just need to slow down a bit. Now off to the LaConner show, hopefully to pay my dues and make it official.

:TakePicture1:

Oh, Oh, and the 14' has no bow light which is required by the coast guard and state regulations and the motor has no generator. C Cells anyone?

This 14 was full of leaves and the residue of several years in the forest. Thought it would be a perfect black berry boat, but the guy cleaned it up for me. Shoot!

Dave

14 Skagit Sportster Blue (formerly red)
            16 Skagit Skimaster (blue)
            17 Skagit

18 Skagit Runabout (1961?)

Comment

I don't want to start (or continue) a controversy, but I feel that a comment is in order here for future reference, since the content of the posts in question has been edited out. (by Bill T, not us)

For those who missed it, Bill T has posted here two times; his first post told us about a boat he had just finished and about the next project in line. His second post told us how offended he was that approximately 24 hours had passed with no one commenting on his first post. He specifically pointed out (and I'm paraphrasing here) that no one said "Hi, welcome, nice boat, etc.", and he went on to state that obviously we only care about local boaters, followed by an insulting comment I didn't really understand. I've seen Bill T's work and it is absolutely first class. I know first hand how much patience that takes and I'm a little surprised that Bill had so little patience with us. Maybe there was another factor at work here that we're unaware of.

Anyway, the point of this post is this: If you are reading this and haven't posted here yet, please allow me to present the following examples of possible first posts:

A) Hi, my name is ____. I live in ____ and have been into classic boats for __ years. I wanted to share some photos with you guys of a boat I just finished, it was a project for ___ that took me ___ months to complete. The biggest challenge in this project was ___, but it was worth it. Some of you may have seen the ____ that I restored a few years ago and sold to someone in your area. I'm looking forward to hanging with you guys, maybe someday I'll get to meet some of you in person. Is there anyone on the forum in my neck of the woods?

B) Hi' I'm ___. I just finished this boat and am going to do another one, but it will be my last because I'm getting tired of this.

Now, which post do you think will get the response / replies / warm welcome you're looking for? Hopefully, you chose A, because when I read post B, the only thing that comes to my mind is "Uhhh, OK."

Another thing to keep in mind is that 24 hrs is not a long time to wait for a response, especially in the middle of the week when folks are working and busy with their lives. Not everyone logs in every day and not everyone sees every new post when they do log in. I've seen interesting posts sit, apparently ignored, for days before folks respond. Other times there'll be lots of activity on a post that doesn't really seem to say anything. Go figure. Life on the internet is wierd. Also, don't look at the "number of views" on a post and think that it represents the number of human eyes that have read your post. What it represents is the number of times that the page has been accessed, and the search engine web bots (google, yahoo, etc.) that crawl the web indexing pages automatically also contribute to the number of views. And lots of people browse and read here without ever registering or posting, just like any forum. So please don't get offended because your post has been viewed "46" times without a reply. This thread has been "viewed" 98 times so far and I'll bet the majority of those views do not represent registered forum users who could have posted a reply.

I've found that a good policy is not to be offended until someone actually says something offensive. Otherwise you'll be offended a lot.

Tim

Comment

Tim, thanks for your post. I hope it helps people to understand why some responds happen. I was a little short with Bill because I truely didn't understand what he was trying to get accross and I really didn't know how to respond. It is unfortunate that Bill has decided not to use our sight.
                Greg James

Comment

Prank Post!?

I read it and thought it was a prank post....knowing me and my offbeat sense of humor, I was afraid to respond!

I edited out the rest of this post........

Cheers!!
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Nice write up Tim Mc

Comment

Yeah I don't get it either. Most of the people in this club are pretty nice, except of course for me!... So he got offended because he posted something and it took a little while before someone responded? Really? I'm reminded of a favorite joke of mine... "If you're going to tie your panties in a twist, make sure to put the knot in the front so you can still sit down!

Maybe it's time to untie the knot?....

Just saying....

:Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Sean, I like that. I usually forget jokes but I won't forget that one. It's not only funny but it also has a lot of meaning and it could apply to me at times. You made my day.VeryBigSmile
                        Greg James

Comment

You guys wear panties? I'm sure you wouldn't dare make a remark like that to a lady. However, put me down as liking that one, too.
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Hummm

Comment

Enough

Ok Guys, I too was an ass on this site. Getting political once and insulting somebody on His classified add. I was called out on both by fellow members. But it ended there. John

Comment

Working...
                              X