LaConner show recap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaConner show recap

It turned out to be a nice day with good friends. Tim Jones gave rides with the Skagit Saratoga. I didn't get there as my feet were hurting and I heard there were lines to get rides. Special thanks to Tim for helping to make a great show and giving a lot of thrills to a lot of people. NWCBC won peoples choice awards. Chuck Carey won PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD for fiberglass trailer boats with his 20ft Skagit, and Ingmar Carlson (not sure of spelling) won PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD for trailered wood boats. These are the only two awards for trailer boats so NWCBC swept the field. I don't know any of the awards for boats on the water, but I know Tim's boat was much appreciated. Had a great time. Would be nice to get more trailer boats. Clint

Great Day

It was a great day , Lots of interested people with lots of questions and stories. Only took a few pictures but had a great time. Thanks to Susie and Greg for attending to the N.W.C.B.C. Tent all day and handing out the info to the people. Sorry about backing over the tent pole Greg :Bigdriving1: Congrats to Ingvar and Chuck ! I knew when Chuck offered his 12volt Vacume to me for the San Juan I should have taken advantage of it - that's probably what gave him the winning votes , my floor was a little dirty ? Good to see all the classic boats - better get some more boat socks Chuck because I'm gunning for you with the Larson next year ! Thanks Clint for all the help with the organizing and Mary for doing the Paperwork ! Always a great day
    Attached Files
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Thanks Clint for organizing this event again this year. It was a great success with about 16 boats participating. Congratulations to Ingvar and Chuck for their well deserved People's Choice awards.
      This show was very productive in that we made a fair amount of contacts who were serious about joining our club and several that were in the process of restoring classic glass. Paul Marlow, who is an officer and historian with The Center For Wooden Boats, was totally blown away with our boats. He was totally unaware that we even existed. After speaking with Paul for about an hour or so, he made it clear that The Center For Wooden Boats is continually being contacted by people trying to get rid of thier old glass boats that have been sitting for years, and that family members have no use for. They are trying to find a home for these boats before they take them to the dump. Now that Paul is aware of our website, I think we will be seeing more boats up for adoption or for sale. I told Paul that when we see wood boats that are looking for a home, we would post them on the board or call him with a heads up. Paul was very enthusiastic that our attitude was to try to restore and preserve the history of old glass boats along with wooden boats. I think our new affiliation and cooperation with The Center For Wooden Boats will be great for both our organizations.
      Greg James

Comment

Thats nice news about the woode boat center. I thought it was neat to meet the young man who was restoring a 17ft Skagit Express as his senior project in high school. Clint

Comment

Rick, I told you needed to Vacuum.But..... NO ! you would not listen to me about the offer of my vacuum cleaner. It was a nice show overall seeing a lot of people. Next year you should clean up on the awards with your "Twin Falls Larson Flyer ". Chuck
          Attached Files
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

next year

By next year you will have the name correct , Larson "Falls Flyer " It just came to me why you won the Peoples choice when I saw that last picture you posted !!!
            It was those two white ice chests full of beer you were giving away for votes !

:Skipper1:
            Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

LaConner 2012

Just got back Sunday noon. A bit tired...in fact I got worn out running boat rides until about 2:30pm when after not eating anything all day started making mistakes in boat handling so decided to hang up the rides and get some lunch.

It all went by so quickly, I didn't have any time to just sit and relax or look at other boats. There was a line of people waiting when I arrived at 10:00. The trip over Saturday morning was a bit stressful as fog blanketed 2/3 of the route.
              Hung at James Island for a while, not wanting to cross Rosario, but finally called Seattle Traffic and they said the strait was clear of traffic so off I went.

Mosty I went north for the rides, past the marinas and into some clear area where there were nothing but log booms. Gave the riders a 20 second blast of full throttle. Everyone was impressed. One woman brought her dog.

I probably won't give rides again at LaConner due to the liability issue, and I really needed a deck hand. It was a bit too much for one person to do it all.
              Probably carried 30 or more people.

I'd like to see more Skagits and trailer boats in the water. Jerry felt like the lone stranger there and the same wood boats win the awards and prizes every year. LaConner Chamber needs to add a glass category to the in water display, else it will be wood boats winning every year until all the wood boats rot away.

Special thanks to Rick Love for the Popular Boating ad of the Skagit 31 (Nov 1958). Rick, that's the first posted price I've seen for the Saratogan....even higher that I had guestimated. $23,000! Wow that was an expensive boat in 1958 when the average house was selling for $30K.

This piece of information has added another piece to the Skagit Plastic Company puzzle I've been trying to solve in my mind for many years. I just about have the big picture now of the company and it early demise.

More later on Skagit Plastics.

Sorry I didn't get up to the trailer boats.....where did the day go?

Cheers.
              McSkagit
              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Now I'm really feeling bad. First I accuse you of trying to win the best of show by giving boat rides and then sitting on my butt on Rosario not realizing you hadn't eaten and also could have used a deckhand. But, let me tell you that people that stopped at Rosario were really praising the Sweet Zoanna. That was a great thing you did by bringing to La Conner and hope you bring her again next year.
                There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Congratulations to both Ingvar Carlson and Chuck ballot box stuffer Carey. NWCBC was well represented by the great job done by the welcoming Susie and Greg James. It was nice to have a work in progress boat participate,Rick's Larson. It would nice to have more boats show that were in the process to show that a fair amount of the work, fun involve is possible by most anyone. Yeah,I hated to get up at 5 a.m. on a Saturday for a parking lot meet but once there all that disappears after the public start streaming in and meeting some of the people who post on the forum as well. I missed the ol boys from the Classic Rat Boat Society. Hope they will return next year. A fun day all around.
                  Attached Files
                  1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Rick,That's the name ?....Larson "Falls Flyer " Got it ! Just pulling your chain. All kidding aside, very nice workmanship. Chuck
                    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

show

Been trying to go for a few years and this year i finally made it! (was a LONG slog through traffic all the way from puyallup!)

Was great to put a few faces to names I have read on the site!...Finally got to see the saratoga in person..way better then the pics!.

Wished there were a few more boats to see (and I agree..should be a glass division for both on and off the water!)

I even got he wife to go with me but it cost me a whole bunch of local farm fresh produce (guess I have to eat healthy for a while).
                      1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
                      1960 Hi Laker 15'**
                      1957 Skagit 20 express*
                      1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
                      *= previous completed projects
                      **=finished and still using
                      ***= in progress

Comment

Working...
                      X