Portable GPS?.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable GPS?.

I'm in need of a portable GPS to use from boat to boat. I want detailed charts so I feel comfortable in the San Juan's with water depth information and so I can be better prepared for picking my way through the fog, finding my speed and other navigation chores. It sounds like Garmin is the way to go... Any thoughts about intuitive units out there?? I am not a techy minded guy and hate figuring things out. I am interested in taking a class to help me figure it out...
    Thanks!
    -Ken

Ken, Give me a call when you have time. Chuck 425-742-4319 / Home 425-743-0820
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I've used a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx with a bluechart card for the last few years and I love it. The screen is a little small, so the numbers are hard to read while moving, but the shallow areas are in a different color than the deep areas. They are about $350 now, with the card.

Comment

I also use the GPSMAP 76 CS unit and well, they can be complicated for non techy people and not sure about any classes for it.

One can find about anything on Youtube.com so who knows. I might even go and look

San Juans, Fog, Shipping lane or even fishing boat traffic ??
        Not going to catch me out there without some sort of Radar in the fog.
        I forget the name of it but there is now a radio that is being nick named the poor mans radar. It pretty much puts you on the radar as so the bigger commercial boats/ships can at least see you in the fog.
        You also have the may day feature that when hooked up to your GPS that will transmit may day with your lat and long.

The coast guard has to share moneys with home land security (man, what a joke) so its getting pretty much your on your own, so prepare for it.

Even a couple of years ago, I would monitor the marine radio and could hear the Coast guard asking for Any boats in the area to assist.
        You at least have that going for you.

GPS, I hope mine never quits working or the batteries go dead.
        My plastic covered chart/map, has no batteries so its a good back up :BigHappy1:

Wow, I sure went off here Too much information opcorn1:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Got Chip?

Hey Ken,
          I thought you sprung for a nice color Lowrance sounder gps combo?
          If you did,it has a door to add the Chip which gives the detail you don`t see on the basic map.Should be under $200 and also gives you the depth contours,currents and higher detail of buoys and docks.
          Now if you only have the sounder then I`m wrong.....
          If you do have the gps/sounder ,then you just buy another power lead,t-ducer and gps beacon and mt on your "other" boat.
          My gps /sounder does need to have a Sonar/GPS page selected once turned on as it forgets to save the split function and goes to one or the other....
          TimM
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Good memory, Tim!

Yes, I do have a nice Lowrance in the Skagit, but I need a portable battery powered to use in the Pelican sailboat...which has nowhere to plug in the Lowrance. It would be fun to use while sailing and good when salt water cruising in this small boat. By next summer we (Paul, Jay and Ken) should have two operable Pelicans--one freshly redone and another rotting at the seams waiting a turn in the shop...
            Good idea to get a spare harness and mount...I could then mount the Lowrance in the Bayliner for crabbing...I just can't bring myself to haul traps into the Skagit and risk damaging the paint!

Comment

Working...
            X