Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elgin Boats

Hi,

Does anyone else in the club own an Elgin boat? It seems that Elgin outboard motors and even Elgin trailers are more common than Elgin boats.

We originally thought that our boat was a 1970 Elgin since that's what it's title says. But we later found out that the Elgin name was dropped in 1964. Upon looking at original sales literature, it appears that our boat is either a 1962 or 1963 model. Why it would say 1970 on the title is a mystery.

Here's the '62 and '63 Sears catalog pages for the Elgin 14. They look pretty much like our boat but not exactly. The Elgin emblems on our boat are different than either. The '61 models are totally different than ours and the '64 and later were Sears not Elgin, so I'm pretty sure we have a '62 or '63.

Any Elgin experts out there?

Bruce and Toby
    Attached Files
    1962 Elgin 14 foot Runabout

The 1970 title makes perfect sense. Lots of old boats have lost titles and the easiest way to get them on the water is to use a title from something else.

As for the year, I'd suggest going to fiberglassics and looking through all the sales brochures there. Thats how I identified the year of mine. It takes a lot of careful examination!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Checked out Fiberglassics - great site, but I didn't see anything specific about '62 and '63 Elgin boats. They did have a brochure that shows the 1961 Elgin 14 foot Runabout. Here's a picture from the brochure. This boat is a little different from ours.

I understand that the '62 and later Elgin boats were made by Arkansas Traveler. Can anyone confirm this?
      Attached Files
      1962 Elgin 14 foot Runabout

Comment

I had a 14 at one time, never got a chance to do anything with it as some joker took a grinder to the hull so it was marked up pretty bad.
        This one sat next to a P-14 and looked like it was its sister.
        This could have been during some of the changes they made...
        The engines (Marty Loken had one that he sold in a package of motors to someone) and they use the McCullough engines.
        Those were strong motors. I have a 45 that I was going to hang on my 14 Skagit Sportster that was a runner when I got it. Needs work....
        One more thing I might never get time to finish :Slow1:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I had a 1956 Elgin 16' runabout nice mahogany on the hull and deck,covertied it to a fishing boat and had hours of fun.We once had 5people in it and tried to turn it over by hanging off to the side about 900# of bodys and it never came near reaching the gunnel!

Comment

Working...
          X