Changes coming.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes coming.

It seems that once you learn something well enough to take care of it, things change.
    We are still using the early version of Vbulletin 3.8.7 patch level 3. They have moved on to greater versions but us, like others, have held fast with the 3.0 series due to it being more stable and bug free. 4.0 and 5.0 versions have been out for some time but still buggy enough that the sales and support is down for it.
    Most programmers that know Vbulletin tend to shy away from the newer versions.

Also once they sold out to the new people, the game has changed.
    Meaning what we had was a Life time Membership and support with Version 3 but once they went to version 4, we were supposed to buy the whole 300 dollar package thing yet again.
    We held back hoping for something to change. What changed was the creators of Vbulletin had moved on.

By the first of the year, we will no longer have support (security from spammers and such) which means, I have to make a change.:computers1:

Here are some options I am looking at.
    The main thing I am looking for is stability and security first. Then looking for support companies who write applications that work with the forum software that we choose.

The options and more when I know more. (man, I knew this was coming too, just the matter of time )

http://xenforo.com/ <-- This is made by the guys that made vBulletin
    3.8. It is probably the newest forum software on the market, but it is
    stable and pretty nifty. This is a paid software, 140 to 200 dollars
    depending on what you get.

http://www.simplemachines.org/ <-- This is stable software, but the
    look and feel I don't much care for, and administration can be a pain.
    However, it is free with a lot of mediorce free addons.

http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/ <-- This is vBulletin's
    biggest rival, and probably the most stable and mature forum software
    currently. It has a few official paid addons that are VERY polished
    and integrate very well, but they cost a little extra. For just the
    forum software it is 175 dollars, for the forum software plus an image
    gallery it is 228 dollars.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Well, I spent most of the day doing research on those different Forum or Bulletin Board Sites (BBS).
    As I said, I was looking for stability and security first.
    One thing I found is that the same fellow that helped me do the first install back when we started this, has broken away from Vbulletin and now moved over to Xenforo (no clue on how to pronounce that one
    It was this fellow that was one of the main programmers for Vbulletin too.

Looking at reviews, I think we have a winner for the stability and security. The Administration area, well, its much different but maybe a little more logical in my mind which makes it more easy to follow.
    Its all like windshield wipers, they all do the same thing, just each automobile you get into, they work different ways for the same outcome.

Next step is to see if it will integrate with the other programs we have running, one being our picture album program. Would rather not have to rebuild that one....

I will keep you all posted on this as I know some of you have run boards like this yourselves. (Mark Dennis is one ;-):email1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar, just sing out loudly when you need some additional donations. I'm sure that several of us will help, as always. (BTW, I note that the guests-to-members ratio is consistently running well over seven to one.)

Comment

Helmar, I somehow get the impression that some of our guests think that by posting something that they have joined the club and that they don't need to make a donation. It seems like they are not aware that it takes $$$ to run this web sight and if there are no donations coming in this sight will vanish.
        Greg James

Comment

We are ok at the moment but no reserve left after upgrading a dead horse it seems. I wish I knew what those guys were up to but I think they held off on the, No Support thing until everyone jumped on the upgrades. Can't prove it and don't need too.

Never the less I have not done the accounting. I Have turned on the Members for the folks that have paid, but then again, I have not looked to see who did Not renew or pay for this year so we might have even more guests.

I don't think I am looking at the same screens for the ratios at that 7 to 1 but one of the things that I do know of is that we have members that have signed up back in 2011 and have never came back, never posted and the ones that Did post, did a One time post. I can only speculate that those were the people that sign up just to list a boat for sale and then never return.

Anyway, I will get into that accounting stuff first chance I get.

And, if I find myself getting into trouble, I will put my hand out by posting a message to all the new members to see if they can let go of a 20 dollar bill to help support the cause here.
          Crap....Got to fix that too. I think one of the Paypal sites I have messed up and I think its the one on the Website pages. Anyway, ones says donations/dues start at 20 bucks and the other one says 35, geeze..
          I had lost my notes on how I got that figured out with Tims son that helped us create the website. We never did get any documentation on it, just what Tims son had created for us. Its a little cryptic....
          I will get it sooner than later I hope.

So, Greg, do I hear you putting on a Priest Lake event ?? You can sure set the parameters for it. Set the speed, have a kicker, whatever..Sure be nice to put something on the books (I did make notes on how to do the updates to the Calendar of Events, in fact

Man, another long winded post :shocked4:
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Could part of our problem be that most of those shown on the Members List are actually only guests, if that? Certainly that could mislead a few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by BillF, post: 25662
              Could part of our problem be that most of those shown on the Members List are actually only guests, if that? Certainly that could mislead a few folks.
              I see allot of users with no titles at all. Not sure whats going on with that at this point.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Good News

That new software I am looking at also has a Direct Import feature for the version of vbulletin that we are using.
                This means we will not loose our posts, images or any of that. All the users passwords should cross over as well.

After reading in their forum, I feel comfortable we can upgrade without too much trouble.

Of course, there is that Murfys Law......I will make sure we are backed up and can make several tries if need be...

Looking good so far.
                I will get the cost of the whole package including the install and import from them. I also have our programmer guy, Chris in on this process too.

Due to the new software being customizable we should be able to get the look pretty close as well.:cool1:
                Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

New Program Update

Hi All.

I just purchased the new software program and now in the manual trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

Just the idea of starting over from scratch gave me the heebee geebee's so this really sounds exciting. I hope to retain the same look as we have now as I know some of you hate change (I think we all do to a point ;-)

Looks like the 23rd of this month will be the day it happens..Gives me a little time

I am excited about this new program as it will keep us secure plus new options to explore
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

is there a way i could pay the $35 by mailing a money order?
                    john woods
                    "be afraid of free women and free boats"~my wise uncle

Comment

Originally posted by rotten imp, post: 25769
                      is there a way i could pay the $35 by mailing a money order?
                      Why of course.
                      Classic Boat Club
                      37476 SE Truble Rd
                      Sandy, Or. 97055

Thank you for your support
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

i'll be sending it out around the 5th of sept.i only get paid once a month.
                        john woods
                        "be afraid of free women and free boats"~my wise uncle

Comment

Wow, this is Big Time Different.
                          I see the Upload a File is different too.[ATTACH]14695[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X