OMG ! Sniff Sniff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG ! Sniff Sniff

Was working on the boat Wed afternoon with epoxy with a face mask on but took if off after fogging my glasses up and wow ! did it get to me. Never did that before. I'am not one to "run" to the doctors, but when sheila got home we went to the ER. Besides being screw up in the head normaly, they said i was all right after all of the test.I told Sheila i bet this will be a $2,000.00 bill ! She inform me i MUST be in La La Land ! A lot more than that ! Yesterday went to my regular doctor and he said i still have to go to another place to be check out nextweek. Can't remember what that was for. Sheila knows. Still a little punchy. THeN AFTER ALL OF THIS CRAP, OUR HOT WATER TANK had a leak YESTERDAY AFTERNOON ! OMG ALL 70 GAL SPILLING OUT ON THE REC ROOM FLOOR. Then we went out and spend $1300.00 FOR A NEW ONE and went to Dick's Drive in . That sucker better be good. I think i'am still a little screw up in the head today as it being hard to work at my job.Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Chuck, With me crap happens in threes. Hope you don't have any more problems with anything and you feel alright. That's how people that like to sniff glue feel and they like it.
    Greg James

Comment

Chuck, go on a boat buying frenzy. Then tell Sheila it was the glue sniffing that made you do it. Here's hoping you get better.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hey Steve, that's a great idea. Chuck, Do you have any of that glue left.
        Greg James

Comment

Hey Chuck.
          Marty had a bunch of different filtered masks in the shop. He had that one that covered his whole head, had a filter device on his hip that kept putting in fresh filtered air.
          I would some times get a little too much of the sealer and then the Fiberglass resin that would give me a head ache too.

My shop, I would cross ventilate as I had one of those old furnace's cage fan pulling air out of the shop through a filter and blowing it outside.
          Even spray can pant would end up in that filter which would kind of scare the beejesus out of you.

Sounds like you got a little too much of that junk down in your lungs.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yea i have a 1/2 a qt left. Think i will take the weekend off working on the boat.

Comment

Joe, The only thing was i was fixing a patch in the floor just inside the cabin with me hanging my head inside the step area with those fumes. I guess coming up at my face. Yea i do remember Marty's mask. Kind of look like a Bee keeper mast. Yesterday was a hard day trying to make up orders in my business as well. To me for ever. Today looks better already. The other Doctor i will be going to next week wants to check me out ( just be sure ) for a mini stroke !!! I They told Sheila that as i don't remember them telling me that. Chuck

Comment

Well, with the warning labels on those products, they are not horsing around, At all. When they say that shit will kill you, better believe it.
                Some of that crap is like carbon monoxide, you don't know its getting you.
                I have the glasses on and that would always be a issue with masks but the ones I use have a tight seal and I have different filters for different chemicals. Me smoking and inhaling my pipe like I did, was not helping much either.
                Hope it didn't cause you to loose any brain cells, we need all we can get as we get older

Hang in there buddy. Remember, Ventilate and a good 3M mask.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Wow Chuck, that's petty scary. I was thinking last week about you having your boat/work area all buttoned up with plastic. Some people develop hyper-sensitivity to epoxy. This after working with it for years....
                  Glad to hear you're feeling better...

Tim
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 27003, member: 6
                    Was working on the boat Wed afternoon with epoxy with a face mask on but took if off after fogging my glasses up and wow ! did it get to me. Never did that before. I'am not one to "run" to the doctors, but when sheila got home we went to the ER. Besides being screw up in the head normaly, they said i was all right after all of the test.I told Sheila i bet this will be a $2,000.00 bill ! She inform me i MUST be in La La Land ! A lot more than that ! Yesterday went to my regular doctor and he said i still have to go to another place to be check out nextweek. Can't remember what that was for. Sheila knows. Still a little punchy. THeN AFTER ALL OF THIS CRAP, OUR HOT WATER TANK had a leak YESTERDAY AFTERNOON ! OMG ALL 70 GAL SPILLING OUT ON THE REC ROOM FLOOR. Then we went out and spend $1300.00 FOR A NEW ONE and went to Dick's Drive in . That sucker better be good. I think i'am still a little screw up in the head today as it being hard to work at my job.Chuck

Yea you would think i would learn. THIS HAS NOT BEEN MY WEEK !!!! The only thing that could be worst , would be if Sheila divorce me....i don't think that will happen.....Hummm ? But what happen after the fumes on Wedesday ( going to the ER ) and the water tank flooding the rec room on Thursday ( and going to my doctor ) and now we have a weir new looking water tank $$$$$. So friday rolls around and i have called the Ins company about the rugs so that is all taken care of. Then guess what ? THE WASHING MACHINE PASSES OUT WITH WATER ALL OVER THE PLACE. Just went out and purchases a new one today (Sat) Btw, This is boat related being there is water involved in this sad story. I don't even want to think about what could happen next....Chuck
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27013, member: 28
                      Wow Chuck, that's petty scary. I was thinking last week about you having your boat/work area all buttoned up with plastic. Some people develop hyper-sensitivity to epoxy. This after working with it for years....

Tim
                      Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27013, member: 28

Tim

Tim, i did have the cover back some ( flip over) to let fresh air come into the cockpit and the cabin door area, but i was right over the spot as i was looking down at the patch job in progress. Must have been all of about 5-8 min. A real quickie job. So i thought. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 27016, member: 6
                        Tim, i did have the cover back some ( flip over) to let fresh air come into the cockpit and the cabin door area, but i was right over the spot as i was looking down at the patch job in progress. Must have been all of about 5-8 min. A real quickie job. So i thought. Chuck
                        Chuck,
                        My observation over the years is that the organic vapor masks are not completely reliable. Epoxy fumes are kind of insidious in that they build up over time and then....BAM. Same with Polyurethane.
                        You and I aren't kids anymore, so be extra careful.....

Cheers,
                        Tim
                        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Like I said, crap happens to me in threes. Maybe you are the same and nothing more will go wrong.
                          Greg James

Comment

Chuck,
                            I am glad to hear your on the mend and working with your doctors. If any good comes out of the episode it would be that we all need to remind ourselves to be careful. Along with chemicals we could add power tools, fuels, electrical cords, ladders and a host of other activities we take for granted.
                            Be safe my friends,
                            Allan
                            1958 Dorsett Farallon
                            1959 Bellboy Ballerina

Comment

Take care, Chuck and get better! I used a good 3M filter when doing all the big layup on the 404. For smaller stuff I don't usually mask up. This is a good reminder to do so, or keep a really well ventilated work space. For what ever reason, hobby epoxy doesn't bother me, but the vinylesther that I use really stinks. I think it is more the MEKP than the resin though. That stuff is noxious!
                              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                              Past Affairs:
                              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
                              X