The Drone's Are A Coming !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Drone's Are A Coming !

Later this week one of my son's will be conducting photo classes on a cruise ship in Mexico. The Cruise ship company is base out of Seattle. Peter said one of the things he will be teaching is how to take pictures with a remote control drone. Would that not be great flying that above and besides your boat underway and even in front of them as you came along ? In one of the pictures you can see my Dorsett across the road behind the fence and the shelter with the Skagit inside. That's Peter and I on the sundeck. Gee it looks like it's time to go blow the roof off. Chuck[ATTACH]15301[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15302[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15303[/ATTACH]
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

That is just too cool.
    I have done RC stuff and have problems in any kind of wind. Not sure how one of these would do but Way Cool being able to do that
    Now I can see why it took you so long on your deck !!

Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

How much do one of those go for? The drone, not the deck =)

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly, post: 27064, member: 2323
        How much do one of those go for? The drone, not the deck =)[/quotKelly,

Peter said they were around $800.00 for the drone and the Go-Pro Hero3 with water proof case about 450.00 more

Comment

Amazing technology. Understandably a lot of concerns out there about privacy. Waldron island, here in the San Juans, has declared itself a drone-free-zone. San Juan Island working on the same. Up until now, manned helicopters patrol Haro Strait at night. I'm sure it will be patrolled by drones very soon if not already.....

Smile for the camera......

McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Yea, I was glad when i was done painting last summer. Took 15 gal of paint. Back in 1995 when i rebuilt it from a smaller deck it took about a month being as i had to travel in and out of town then. Did that for 17 years.

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27068, member: 28
              Amazing technology. Understandably a lot of concerns out there about privacy. Waldron island, here in the San Juans, has declared itself a drone-free-zone. San Juan Island working on the same. Up until now, manned helicopters patrol Haro Strait at night. I'm sure it will be patrolled by drones very soon if not already.....

Smile for the camera......

Tim, That will be great to use it on your boat sometime like Bruce did except about 20 feet above you and swing it around in front of your boat as you are coming. I can see it now ! That would be after a person got REAL good at it.

Comment

Yes, worried about the privacy issue, for sure.
                Would sure make for great video of Tim's Saratogan at speed from all kinds of different angles.
                I was messing around last summer on some top views of the 20' Skagit for a future rc scale version and improvised by pulling the boat toward the garage, then backing it in as well. Climbed on roof to take pics....drone would have been faster.
                Chuck, do they have an automatic hover feature to stabilize for pics ?
                Ohhh, no more of that "sunbathing" on your deck.....
                Hope you're feeling better, Chuck.
                bruceb

Comment

3/4 views of vessels under way are always nice. A drone is one way. or, a buddy with a yacht and a camera for a 6 pack.
                  John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                  Past Affairs:
                  '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

To get pics from above of the Saratogan underway, I'm going to try hanging a GoPro from a kite. Should be fun....

McSkagit

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb, post: 27072, member: 1409
                      Yes, worried about the privacy issue, for sure.
                      Would sure make for great video of Tim's Saratogan at speed from all kinds of different angles.
                      I was messing around last summer on some top views of the 20' Skagit for a future rc scale version and improvised by pulling the boat toward the garage, then backing it in as well. Climbed on roof to take pics....drone would have been faster.
                      Chuck, do they have an automatic hover feature to stabilize for pics ?Ohhh, no more of that "sunbathing" on your deck.....Hope you're feeling better, Chuck.
                      bruceb

Comment

Bruce, Don't know about that automatic hover feature idea ? It does seem to hold good. As far as feeling better ? Have to NOW ! go to another doctor and another one on Feb 4. In some ways i kind of hate to think what might have really happen with that stuff. Sheila told me she is going to go with me today as i 'am not to good on coming home and telling her every little detail from the doctors. I'am not a "run" to the doctor kind of guy... Talk about coming unglued....Told her i needed to go paint the floor this week in the cabin to finish it up. You should have heard her express herself.

Comment

Tim, I have several double lined maneuverable kites I used to fly as a hobby. For years I have thought about flying them off the stern. A GoPro attached to the bottom might work. I have one that has a very large wing span that might be able to lift a camera that light. My thinking is to attach small lengths of styra foam along the runners for floatation, put the kite in the water upside down, put the boat in gear and as the boat goes forward let out the two lines (usually 75') and when the lines become taunt the resistance from the water on the back of the kite should flip it over rite side up and launch. Very little speed would be needed to do this. I think the ideal wind speed for the kite I am thinking of using is between 5 and 15mph. I might mess around with this when the weather improves and I can get somebody else to help. I don't have a GoPro so it would be cameraless but at least I can see how hard it would be or if it could be done without to much difficulty. Weight isn't a problem because this kite has dragged me down the beach upright and if I do things right it has come close to lifting me off the ground. I'll let you know how things go.
                          Greg James

Comment

Hey Greg,
                            At the moment, I don't have a GoPro, either. I have several single line kites that were my bros. I've also had a number of two line kites which I enjoy flying, but I gave all those away.

I read an article a year or so back about a guy that made a special sling for the camera, so that regardless of the kite height or angle, the camera was always pointed correctly at the boat. Will try to find that again. Might be on Youtube.

Would be fun to play around with this in my "spare" time......

Comment

Tim, Aiming the camera is a big concern. It would be great if you could find that sling. Maybe we have found a new thing to screw around with. That's the great thing about being retired. A guy can screw around a lot more.
                              Greg James

Comment

Working...
                              X