How To Beach A Boat... WoW !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Beach A Boat... WoW !

Beaching a boat to be cut up ! You know that beach is not in the US.

[media=liveleak]a64_1390488998[/media]

Also a few pictures of WSF Steel Electric's that ran here from 1939-2007 , Someone pull the plug to soon on the Illahee ( her last run was in the San Juans ) and the Nisqually ( the last of the four ) getting ready to be cut up. The Klickitat and Quinault had already been done. Sad ! They were cut up in Mexico.

Out of the six Steel Electric's, only one has not been cut up and that is the ENETAI ( now back to her original name Santa Rosa ) that went back to San Francisco in 1969 after the state surplus her along with the Willapa from the Bremerton run. She and the Willapa ( it was cut up in SFO last year ) were double enders when in SFO , but Black Ball ferries convert them to single enders for the Bremerton run in the World War II years up here. Here's the Enetai with another second wheelhouse ( office now ) on what was the stern when a single ender. She is still on the SFO waterfront as offices .

http://www.hornblower.com/port/yacht/sf+17/gallery
    Attached Files
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

WOW! Only problem, they forgot to back the trailer into the water.....
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

I see that captain went to the "Joe Hazlewood school of skippering"
      "Port!.....port!......port......bring me another glass of port!

I rode both WSF boats to Vashon Island, in the 70's, when I was a kid. What a shame?

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 27117, member: 126
        I see that captain went to the "Joe Hazlewood school of skippering"
        "Port!.....port!......port......bring me another glass of port!

I rode both WSF boats to Vashon Island, in the 70's, when I was a kid. What a shame?
        Yeah, My Uncle, Carl Johnson was a master on the Klickitat and Illahee on the Seattle-Winslow run.
        I spent many hours in the wheelhouse of both boats as a kid. Probably why I still live in the islands.
        Too bad Washington State has little interest in its maritime history.

By the way, what ever came of the Kalakala ?

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27119, member: 28
          Yeah, My Uncle, Carl Johnson was a master on the Klickitat and Illahee on the Seattle-Winslow run.
          I spent many hours in the wheelhouse of both boats as a kid. Probably why I still live in the islands.
          Too bad Washington State has little interest in its maritime history.

By the way, what ever came of the Kalakala ?
          Nothing has become of it yet. It's still rusting away in the Hylebos waterway, in Tacoma.

Comment

Tim, Here's a picture of the Chippewa & Klickitat at the Anacortes dock back in Sept 1962. Yea, like Stan said the Kalakala is just rusting away. Here's the Rhody going to her new home in BC,Canada late last year.After running her up there , the new owners were going to take the motors out and sell them off and along with the surplus motors that the state thru in that was to go into the Olympic her near sister at that time. They never put into her back in the early 90's. Gee i bet that will pay for the purchase price plus some extra $$ for gas that the state just gave away. Last pic at her new home.
            Attached Files

Comment

When I moved to Orcas in 1975 and for many years thereafter, the Klickatat and Illahee still had their original wood superstructures. They were so cool, quaint and warm with steam heat in the cabins...

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 27123, member: 28
                When I moved to Orcas in 1975 and for many years thereafter, the Klickatat and Illahee still had their original wood superstructures. They were so cool, quaint and warm with steam heat in the cabins...

Yea, the Klickitat was rebuilt in 1981. After they screwed up on that design , they went back to the drawing board on the other three SE's and started in 1986 to rebuilt them.

Comment

You ever ride the Vashon? Like riding a paint shaker. Here she is sunk in Alaska?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yea i have seen that picture. I did with one of my son's ( Dan now 46 ) back in about 1974 ? He still remembers watching the engine working hard from the car deck windows.I use to travel up in the SJ for work from 1967-1975. In the winter i only had so many hours to do business on San Juan Island until the Klickitat would returned to FH to head to Anacortes. In the winter months there was not to many people on the returned trip ( maybe 4-5 cars ? ) so the crew would sit in the cafe and have a few beers. "Seattle" would never know ! Now they would ! !

Comment

Originally posted by Skagitguy, post: 27130, member: 6
                      Yea i have seen that picture. I did with one of my son's ( Dan now 46 ) back in about 1974 ? He still remembers watching the engine working hard from the car deck windows.I use to travel up in the SJ for work from 1967-1975. In the winter i only had so many hours to do business on San Juan Island until the Klickitat would returned to FH to head to Anacortes. In the winter months there was not to many people on the returned trip ( maybe 4-5 cars ? ) so the crew would sit in the cafe and have a few beers. "Seattle" would never know ! Now they would ! !
                      I can remember seeing the engine from the car deck, external pushrods and rocker arms...very slow turning.

Comment

I forgot about the window into the engine room. Found more photos of her, including one from the 1950's at Friday Harbor. Look at all the wood boats!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 27132, member: 126
                          I forgot about the window into the engine room. Found more photos of her, including one from the 1950's at Friday Harbor. Look at all the wood boats!
                          Steve, really like your photos of the Vashon. Any chance you could send me a larger format version of the 1950 shot in Friday Harbor? That's a gem!

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, that photo was from this web site. The entire WSF fleet is on there, it's really cool!

http://www.evergreenfleet.com/vashon.html

Comment

Originally posted by STOREBRO36, post: 27135, member: 126
                              Hey Tim, that photo was from this web site. The entire WSF fleet is on there, it's really cool!

http://www.evergreenfleet.com/vashon.html
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X