Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Video I Shot at Prevost Harbor last Thursday.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Video I Shot at Prevost Harbor last Thursday.

This is a short video shot from the Skagit dinghy. Had to re-shoot this a few times as I got the auto focus messed up. Hope you like it? It's in Hi Definition, so is best in 480p or higher.

[media=youtube]ZM1BSUoe6kk[/media]
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28110, member: 28
    This is a short video shot from the Skagit dinghy. Had to re-shoot this a few times as I got the auto focus messed up. Hope you like it? It's in Hi Definition, so is best in 480p or higher.

That's beautiful Tim. Of course you couldn't shoot a bad video of that subject, but it reminds me of the segment in every Red Green episode of Red and usually Mike and Dalton fishing on Possum Lake. The camera always did a 360 around their boat, but there was never a disturbance in the water from the camera boat. That always amazed me. You've pulled that off here. It's not quite a 360, but close enough. There is no evidence of another boat there, except you said there was one.

Comment

Can't get enough of that...Special boat for sure.....
      Great shot Tim...
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28110, member: 28

Tim, I could sit here all night looking at her ! She is one super nice boat.
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Thanks for the kudos. I was up there checking out the camp site for the re-do of the 1958 Skagit cruise in the San Juans that ran in the Sunday Seattle Times. I'll post a few pics I shot there, here. I should have had a copy of the 1958 photo for example. The leaning tree is very evident in the two photos, but some other trees and greenery have grow up in the last 45 years.

Shot the video Wednesday the 14th, hauled the boat out at Jensen's Shipyard Thursday morning at 0800. They pressure washed and blocked it. I was going to repaint the bottom, but it looked fine, so I replaced the zincs ($100!) and launched Friday morning at 0900. Fastest in and out yet.

Need to figure out why my zincs are being eaten up in four months? Getting expensive! There are 8 zincs. Maybe that high copper content epoxy antifoul coating is acting like a big copper plate!?

I'll post those pictures shortly....

Tim aka McSkagit

Comment

[ATTACH]15855[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]15853[/ATTACH] So here's the pictures, the 1958 pic and the obe I shot Tuesday. I learned a few things checking this out. One, need to shoot the picture in the morning, at least before noon. Need a wide angle lens to capture close to the original. Might be difficult to snag that campsite on short notice. Will be getting busy there soon. Anyone interested in being part of that picture, let me know ASAP. It's at Prevost Harbor, Stewart Island. [ATTACH]15853[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15854[/ATTACH]
            Attached Files

Comment

Tim,

Who did you commission to make that amazing toy model of Sweet Zoanna? With no wind that video seriously looks like it was filmed in a minature environment... Amazing detail!!

For you vintage photo remake, you are clearly going to need some very small children to truly replicate the shot... I volunteer Declan for this task (provided we are available when you try again)...
              Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
              1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Good thinking Brian on bringing kids. I'll work on this. Would like to see my grandson in the photo.
                However my son and his wife are expecting in early July, so the timing isn't good there....

I'm still getting used to the digital camera. So many options! This video was a lot harder than it looks.
                I couldn't hold the camera steady and steer the electric outboard at the same time. Once, I almost ran into the boat!

Comment

Hey Tim, I have been to that camp site, and here is the photo taken Feb. 2008.
                  Prevost harbor is a favorite for me as well. That photo from 1958, looks like the state had not installed the dock?

Would love to meet you and re-take the 1958 photo, however my diesel engine guy, has the port motor all torn apart. Later this summer?

Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Steve, yes, I agree, before the state built the dock. Yeah, later, maybe September we can pull it all together.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 28132, member: 28
                      Steve, yes, I agree, before the state built the dock. Yeah, later, maybe September we can pull it all together.

Tim
                      Hi Tim-
                      I'd love to be there as well. Resto on transom of 20 is progressing, but anything before late August would be difficult. Would be cool to recreate the cover shot of the Times magazine at the same time with 2 20' 1958 express models on the beach. Of course, that could happen another time, an excuse to run up there again.....
                      Beautiful video, great how the extra detail pops the sharp details on the Sweet Zoanna ![ATTACH]15865[/ATTACH]
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a party? Washington parks has a "free" day Aug. 25th, see web site:

http://www.parks.wa.gov/593/Stuart-Island

They have a big dock, half a dozen mooring buoys, and a mooring chain, see map:
                        Attached Files

Comment

This sure sounds like a event that you could put on the Calendar for all to see.

Who all has the 20ft Skagits in the 1957 or 58 models ?

Anyone heard from Jeff Ault lately? He has a 58 20 foot Skagit or did.
                          Last I heard, he had access to the skagit website and domain.
                          That would be great to incorporate that into our NWCBC site.
                          Should I start a thread about that topic ????

(I still think that the rebirth and launch of the Sweet Zoanna should have been covered by CNN!!)
                          Helmar Joe Johanesen
                          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yes, Helmer, I think we should put a plan together. Good excuse for a rendezvous.
                            Steve, this Bud is for you....[ATTACH]15893[/ATTACH]
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, 2002 was a great time. Who can forget the lake Whatcom meet?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X