Possible big mistake.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible big mistake.

Well....Here we are talking about LaConners event and I go look at the Events calendar and well, nothing.

I think this XenForo software is just too Nerdy in how it operates.
    Like anything with computers and computer connections to the Internet, some are quick, some are slow.
    Meaning when you go to Reply to a post, it takes longer for the post to show up and you start typing above or below.

Some of the other operations of this forum or for the matter of fact, the last forum software, I had asked for help from others and pretty much just get a hand full of people complaining about things...........

I have asked people, if you figure something out, how to use something, please share.
    Never happened but maybe one time.

I don't see much for Help on these programs either. None of them have anything to do with How to Operate the damn things. Its all about Install and Setup nerd crap. I spend time looking and looking for things to make stuff a little more easy and find more complicated crap.

This program in the reviews showed that it was right up on top of trouble free and support. Come to find out, that is only for the stability and security. This program was created by several (if not more) of the folks that came from Vbulletin and the fellow that did our install of the software, was the same fellow that we worked with when we first started this back in, in, whenever. Seems as its been a Long time anyway.

So here we are, I think I just peed a bunch of money away on this software and we are not using but only a very little portion of it.
    Problem is, They do Not make Simple any longer.
    It ended up we pretty much had to pay our programmer to learn this software to strip it down and it's still too nerdy operate and Use.
    For security reasons, I still have to OK every new member that signs up which is like having this thing tethered to me 24/7.
    Anyway, I am frustrated to the point I am not sure what I am going to do........
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Don't give up!!!

Take a break, maybe we can get someone else trained on some of the "easier" stuff and that can take a little of the burden off of you.. I for one, would be willing to help in anyway I can... I use my iPhone for forum access so having it "tethered" to the forum is no big deal for me..

I would like to add, THANK YOU, for putting so much time and effort into keeping this system operational for us to enjoy!
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Hey Joe, here is LaConner Chamber web site:

http://www.lovelaconner.com/

I'm having the same problem posting on this web site.
      I am using my old laptop, with windows xp, to post this.

My brand new laptop, with windows 8, will not post on this web site.

Thanks.........Steve

Comment

Yes, thanks so much for your time on this forum. Everyone appreciates it, whether they say so or not.

I would think that having to manually approve every member would be something addressed by the developers. There must be some way to automate it?
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Thanks guys.
          John, I can automate it but the spam botts are Always coming up with different ways to hack in.
          Brian, I think once things change again (same with your issue Steve and no, I don't need LaConnors email, go enough to do) as I am Really Really looking to make a major change again. It might get easier to run.

Just a tad of history again.
          We were using a stable version of Vbulletin and was being forced into upgrading and paying more for what a good percentage of installers and admin people were calling unstable.
          I did most of several days of research about different Forum packages.
          They were rated first off in which one was the most Stable, and then Secure.
          This one was Way up in the ranking.
          Another good thing was the Stable Vbulletin we were using was from these same guys that Jumped ship and went onto become XenForo which we moved too.
          I followed along with others only to find out, its just Way to Nerdy to operate. Too many things that are different between users. That Really makes is hard to write up User Instructions which I guess I need to do.
          This is too hard to administer, not fun and a No pay Job that requires lots of hours.

I think now I made a mistake in upgrading to this forum software.

We might jump ship again.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar, check out Invision Power. A couple other forums I frequent use this forum software. Would be nice if we could find something affordable with more support. I know nothing about what it takes to support a forum, but I have to think that there is something out there where the provider provides more support. Of course the cost may be out of our reach.
            Steve Kiesel
            1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Thanks Steve. I will go looking..Any particular forum you like there setup?
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Their forum pretty much looks like most forums. It's one of my prospecting forums in Phoenix at http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?act=idx

Invision Power's website is at www.invisionpower.com. They do offer support along with the software. I don't know if their support would cover the time you have to spend, or at what cost. My original thought was for the club to use software that can be supported by the company selling it, if we can afford it. I'm sure there are others besides Invision Power.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Its sure worth a look at.......Our biggest issue that I find is Updates and Security.
                  Too many of these its too easy to breach the security on them..That we sure as hell don't need. Its not like we have a bunch of super valuable information to steal but never the less, the names, phone numbers and address's that people put in the forum profiles is OURS, no one else's.

The Xenforo software reviews were Great and they were the program writers of the better running Vbulletin software versions to boot...
                  Guess they were not in the business long enough for a super good review. Now, its simple, my comments will be Written too Nerdy to follow and administer, No forum User support found to date.

What they say, live and learn.....Well, sorry guys, made a mistake, spendy one too...
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Man, I am SO sorry about this damn software program. Seems that Everything is so hard to figure out and some things you Should be able to do, makes sense, is logical, does Not......

Posting to the damn calendar has to be cleared by a Moderator or Admin guy.
                    I can't see were I can change the "permissions" as they call it to allow all Supporting members to just post to the calendar of events without a Moderator OK'ing it. (Sorry Lowell, took me some time to find it and ok it for you)

Truth time.....The Grand plan was for me to get a program, all setup and running the way we all want it, have a back up person ready to take over all operations if need be.
                    Create manuals on the normal daily tasks that have to be done (or need done). Manuals that show a picture of what your screen is supposed to look like and a arrow pointing at the button to push or what you are supposed to do.
                    This way I could have several moderators and the tasks would be Fun, not so damn nerdy like this crap is.
                    When we were running Vbulletin, it was pretty easy to run once you understood how it worked.
                    This XenForo, even though it got a very high rating in security and being stable, is, well, just too nerdy to operate.

My grand plan is to do this as long as I can and keep it a Members Rule club. We just don't need any personal agenda's at the helm like most of the boat clubs I have seen in the past.

Look for a change in the look soon as this program is about to get the axe.
                    I will keep you posted.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                    X