Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Boats and Trailers

Hi Folks.

One thing we don't have here is enough information on how to get a title or license for Boats and boat Trailers so I am looking for your stories on how you acquired yours.

I had one boat I got here in Oregon, had no title, just a bill of sale and the Hull number.
    I contacted the Oregon Marine department, gave them the Hull number. They in turn gave me the name and address of the Last registered owner of it, told me to send a Registered letter to them.

If the Registered letter was Not accepted, put that in a Bigger envelope and send it to the Oregon Marine division along with $90 bucks (could be more now). I got a letter back asking me to take it to any one of the Marine cops and they would inspect the boat (which was free). Send them that form and then they just sent me a New Title, plate and tabs.

If the Registered letter Was accepted, and 30 days have passed, put the Registered letters Receipt in a envelope, add $90 dollars, they ask for a inspection, then send you a title, plate and tabs. The previous owner only has 30 days to respond.

If you have a disabled plate, sticker or whatever, you tell them that and they come to you for the inspection.

Another thing I did was when I had a boat and the title was signed off to me and dated, I just told them that I seen no reason for paying license on a boat I was not able to use until it got restored. Now that its restored, I want to license it. I payed no fine. That might be who you are talking to at the DOL too.

So, what is your story, good or bad about licensing.?

Does Idaho require license and title on all boat trailers ?
    Oregon, Any trailer under 1500 lb loaded needs no license plate or title as of a few year back.

Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 29794, member: 59
    Hi Folks.

Oregon, Any trailer under 1500 lb loaded needs no license plate or title as of a few year back.

True, but back when I bought my boat new in '89 I did get a title for the trailer, but it's not a title.
    Figure that one out. I'll have to dig that out to see exactly what the heck it says.
    Dick Johnson
    1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
    '57 Evinrude 18hp
    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
    '72 Johnson 6hp
    '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
    '65 Homelite 55
    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Sounds dangerous. The previous owner could put a claim on the boat in that period and take ownership. Best to give them a photo of the boat piror to any restoration work!
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 29830, member: 339
        Sounds dangerous. The previous owner could put a claim on the boat in that period and take ownership. Best to give them a photo of the boat piror to any restoration work!
        I would think getting a title to one before you start dumping in a bunch of time and money is the wise idea.
        Without it, your option then is a labor and supplies lien..

Some other folks must have a story about getting titles for trailers and boats ???

Washington, Idaho, California ???
        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I have never had an issue with boats but the trailer my old Havoc sat on was register in California from back in the 90's and the previous owner moved to Washington prior to California issuing titles to all trailers, but never registered in Washington (cause he didn't want to pay for licensing) so when I tried to register it they said I had to contact California to get the title reissued before Washington would touch it... So I never bothered. When I sold it I warned the buyer of the situation and he said he would probably never bother with it either as he was putting the boat at a family cabin would rarely trailer it...
          Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
          1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Seems like fixing it up, removing the build plate and having it inspected would be a different option. Or just buy a beater and transfer.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 29861, member: 339
              Seems like fixing it up, removing the build plate and having it inspected would be a different option. Or just buy a beater and transfer.
              This is why I never throw trailer titles away once the trailer is a pile of rust.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
              X