1956 Bell Boy 16' runabout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Bell Boy 16' runabout

I just purchsed a 56 bell boy runabout , what i would like to know ,from the bell boy experts, is this boat a double hull ,or is there a way of to find out. i purchsed this from an older gentleman over the phone and by pictures, an can't pick it up tell spring.its about 400 miles away. its sitting on a tee-nee trailer also. i plan a complete redo from bow to stern , and i was asked that question by a friend. any info would be appreciated. i'll try to get a couple pic unloaded soon . thanks in advance. Bob

Originally posted by Robert L. Dvorak View Post
    I just purchsed a 56 bell boy runabout , what i would like to know ,from the bell boy experts, is this boat a double hull ,or is there a way of to find out. i purchsed this from an older gentleman over the phone and by pictures, an can't pick it up tell spring.its about 400 miles away. its sitting on a tee-nee trailer also. i plan a complete redo from bow to stern , and i was asked that question by a friend. any info would be appreciated. i'll try to get a couple pic unloaded soon . thanks in advance. Bob
    Hi Bob...
    As far as I can remember, it wasn't until the early to mid 70's they started that double hull stuff.
    Anyone else know for sure ???
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Helmar, thanks for the reply, i feel better already. Can't wait till spring , very excited to get her home.

Comment

Just a suggestion, if you are new to this old boat stuff, be prepared to repack the trailer bearings before you head out on a 400 mile trip. Especially since it has been setting for some time.
        There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Lootas1, thanks for the suggestion, i plan on taking everything i need to repack them, also taking two spare tires and magnetic trailer lights. Hopefully it will be a uneventful trip. I've done a couple long trips before with much sucess, but being prepared always helps. My son always tags along and he's a very handy guy, plus we get some bonding time. that why i like this site everyone is so helpful. Happy New Year to All . Bob

Comment

Bob, If you don't feel like packing them you can always have Les Schwab do it. They charge a reasonable rate.
            Greg James

Comment

Bob, congrats on your purchase. While not the best riding hulls out there, Bell Boys are sure neat looking. The 16 is a real cutie too.

As far as I know, the hull is not double. It is a typical layout of hull and decking with space for floatation. Likely fiberglass stringers with some rotten old foam in there. I replaced the floor on my 404 and filled the void with 4 pound closed cell foam. Super easy and great results.

Good luck on the trip!
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Bronze, thanks!!! I think its just a cool looking boat , here in Nebraska we don't have the "Big Water" so it will be a weekend cruiser!! Can't wait till spring, get it wet ,make sure if floats , then start the redo!!!

Comment

Working...
                X